Need Good Buttercream To Stand Up Against Heat And Humidity?

Decorating By 29apr00 Updated 8 Jun 2018 , 9:35pm by Vergaline

29apr00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
29apr00 Posted 15 May 2007 , 2:28am
post #1 of 84

My sister is getting married the end of July thumbs_up.gif She wants me to make her wedding cake. thumbsdown.gif 4 tiers icon_surprised.gif OUTSIDE icon_eek.gif at the lake tapedshut.gif All in buttercream with fresh gerber daisy's. icon_rolleyes.gif

I believe she is insane, but she wants it. So now i'm determined to give it to her. icon_redface.gif Now i use Buttercream Dream from here, and add a few tablespoons Merigune powder to it. But it still seems just so soft and I'm sure 90degree heat and about 99% humidity, i'm sure this cake is bound to melt.

So is there another icing that will stand up better?? She and her fiance don't like the taste and texture of fondant (it's not very popular around here) so that's out.

Jennifer

83 replies
mizshelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mizshelli Posted 15 May 2007 , 2:33am
post #2 of 84

Use all crisco, no butter, add some butter flavoring if you want. Make it a little stiffer than you are used to. I can't promise it will stand up for more than a couple hours in that heat, but it will definately be better than regular BC.

brilandken Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brilandken Posted 15 May 2007 , 2:37am
post #3 of 84

I agree with mizshelli. All crisco.

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 15 May 2007 , 2:41am
post #4 of 84

The all Crisco is probably your safest bet, but I've never had an ounce of trouble with the Wilton 1/2 and 1/2 (1/2 butter, 1/2 crisco) recipe. I find that the taste of this is much better. Personally, I can't stand the all crisco taste, even with the butter flavoring.

HTH --- S.

vrmcc1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vrmcc1 Posted 15 May 2007 , 2:41am
post #5 of 84

I use High Humidity Buttercream and have never had a problem even in August when is 100 degrees.

1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2c crisco
3 Tbls. Dream Whip
3 drops butter flavoring
1/2 tsp. Clear Vanilla
3 drops lemon or orange flavoring, optional
1/4 c. flour
1/2 c. milk
2lb 10x sugar

Mix salt, crisco, dream whip and flavorings together on high speed 4-7 min. until mix. resembles whipped cream. Add flour, 1/2 of the milk and 1/2 of the sugar, Mix until blended. Add remaining milk and sugar and mix until blended.

This is a crusting buttercream so I keep bowl covered with a damp towel to keep it from crusting while I decorating with it. make enough to ice and decorate a 1/4 sheet cake. I will post this in the recipe section also. Hope this helps.

Val

mizshelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mizshelli Posted 15 May 2007 , 2:46am
post #6 of 84

Val, you are gonna be one popular lady, that is an AWESOME recipe, THANK YOU!!!!!

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 15 May 2007 , 3:00am
post #7 of 84

Hi-ratio shortening has the highest melting point; Alpine brand is the best, then Sweetex. Do not use any butter, but use one teaspoon butter extract flavoring for every pound of powdered sugar/every cup of Alpine/Sweetex. Make sure the cake is in the shade--no cake can handle direct sunlight.

29apr00 Posted 15 May 2007 , 3:07am
post #8 of 84

All crisco reminds me of the Wilton Class Buttercream. thumbsdown.gif

Val - that is WONDERFUL!! 1 question? What is Dream whip?? icon_redface.gif

vrmcc1 Posted 15 May 2007 , 3:36am
post #9 of 84

Dream whip is a powdered whip topping mix. Just bought some more today at Walmart it is in the baking isle above the pudding mixes (at least in my store) The boxes have 2 or 4 pkts of powder in them, each batch of icing uses almost 1 pkt. I think it was like $2 for the sm 2 pkt box. I have use the store brands of whipped topping mix too without it changing the icing taste or texture.

Val

jtlccbrown Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtlccbrown Posted 15 May 2007 , 12:45pm
post #10 of 84

I live in Mississippi, the capital of heat and humidity! I use the all crisco recipe. I cup of crisco, 1/2 cup ( + or -) of water, 2 lbs. powered sugar, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 1 tsp of almond extract. I have recently found out that crisco has changed their recipe and now uses no trans fats so what this means is that it doesn't whip up quite as fluffy and the colors don't blend as good. So I now use shortening that has the trans fats in it. That is a personal choice, the taste is the same,however. This recipe does great in any weather. Good luck icon_lol.gif

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 15 May 2007 , 2:32pm
post #11 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtlccbrown

I live in Mississippi, the capital of heat and humidity! I use the all crisco recipe. I cup of crisco, 1/2 cup ( + or -) of water, 2 lbs. powered sugar, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 1 tsp of almond extract. I have recently found out that crisco has changed their recipe and now uses no trans fats so what this means is that it doesn't whip up quite as fluffy and the colors don't blend as good. So I now use shortening that has the trans fats in it. That is a personal choice, the taste is the same,however. This recipe does great in any weather. Good luck icon_lol.gif

I use the all shortening method also, here in HOT sunny Florida. I've known people that said my cakes have survived all-day swim parties, as long as the cake was in a shaded area and the Mom's weren't sitting too close to eat it all. icon_lol.gif

Beware the "no trans fats" shortenings though.

cakesalot13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesalot13 Posted 15 May 2007 , 4:36pm
post #12 of 84

Val-
I am assuming that it is 2lbs of powdered sugar?

vrmcc1 Posted 15 May 2007 , 5:50pm
post #13 of 84

Sorry, yes powdered sugar

JavaJunkieChrissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JavaJunkieChrissy Posted 17 May 2007 , 3:00pm
post #14 of 84

Thanks for this recipe Val...I'll be tring this...Pennsylvania can get pretty humid YUCK!

alittlesliceofhaven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alittlesliceofhaven Posted 17 May 2007 , 3:53pm
post #15 of 84

What is 10x sugar? Thanks

vrmcc1 Posted 17 May 2007 , 4:17pm
post #16 of 84

Sorry it is powdered sugar.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 19 May 2007 , 9:16pm
post #17 of 84

Thanks for this recipe, I will try it now that summer is here & Hawaii gets pretty humid too.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 19 May 2007 , 10:02pm
post #18 of 84

Here are some hi-ratio frosting recipes for hot weather:

(Delicious even when weather isn't a consideration.)

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2375-Brite-White-Buttercream-Icing.html

CAROLYNS (MO) BUTTERCREAM ICING
(Also from cakesbygeorge.)

http://www.cakesbygeorge.com/recipes/Recipes/carolyn_lawrence.htm

Multi-linked super thread on hi-ratio shortening; (What it is, where to get it, how to use it and more recipes. )

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-264563-.html

Also includes info on Brite White or Angel White icing base and Creme Bouquet.

6x vs. 10x Powdered Sugar:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-643383-.html

HTH

Edited to fix broken links.

ncbert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncbert Posted 20 May 2007 , 3:06pm
post #19 of 84

thanks for the recipe.....will try this summer!

fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 21 May 2007 , 6:33pm
post #20 of 84

Just wanted to give feedback on Val's recipe because I made a batch this weekend and it is sooooooooooo good!!!! Other than that, it crusts beautifully. Viva and Melvira method works well with this BC. I substituted the milk with coffee creamer (caramel hazelnut) and it was superb!!! thumbs_up.gif

vrmcc1 Posted 21 May 2007 , 7:14pm
post #21 of 84

Thanks for the feedback. icon_biggrin.gif I was wondering how it compared to other recipies.

Val

Melody25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melody25 Posted 21 May 2007 , 7:35pm
post #22 of 84

Val- You just saved me!!! My nieces graduation party is June 23rd outside at a park. Im making her cake. It's already been hitting 80-90 degree weather here and its only May. I will definitely be trying this recipe! Any suggestions on the best way to make it chocolate??? And how well does it take color?? Of course I have red and black layers! Im planning on doing the black color in chocolate frosting so I don't have to use a ton.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 21 May 2007 , 8:01pm
post #23 of 84

Can't wait to try this!

vrmcc1 Posted 21 May 2007 , 8:37pm
post #24 of 84

I have only flavored it once (this week) using white choc. rasp. coffee creamer. That was yummy!! I haven't had a problem with coloring it yet. I haven't posted any pics except these of my daughter. She is "decorating" with this icing. Not sure how to post link. Topic is first time "decorator" it is in the general forum. Should give you an idea on how well it takes color. I only used a little of wilton color in it.

Val

29apr00 Posted 21 May 2007 , 10:41pm
post #25 of 84

Fooby - thanks for being the test subject! I can't wait to try this recipe!

fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 22 May 2007 , 12:40pm
post #26 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by 29apr00

Fooby - thanks for being the test subject! I can't wait to try this recipe!

You're welcome. I guess being a hobbyist gives me the time to test recipes and test it on my guinea pigs at home icon_lol.gif One thing's for sure, I am not going back to buttercream dream icon_biggrin.gif

jeffer01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeffer01 Posted 22 May 2007 , 11:56pm
post #27 of 84

Ohhhhh, wish I had seen this recipe 2 hours ago, before I made a batch of CC crusting buttercream (1/2 butter, 1/2 crisco)!!!! So, this is my next recipe to try....because it is hot and humid here today!!!

Along these lines, quick question.....have just finished icing a cake with my 1/2 and 1/2 recipe and will be putting a chocolate ganache over it as well for a bridal shower tomorrow....here's the question (couldn't find in a search) - does this have to be refrigerated?????? I'm trying to figure out how in the world I will get it in my fridge stacked...cuz I didn't think of that in the first place icon_lol.gif Not that it is a huge cake, it isn't, but there is a major lack of space right now!!!! If I'm safe keeping it boxed on the counter until I deliver tomorrow then I will! Otherwise, something has to go....maybe DH's diet Mt Dew icon_twisted.gif

Thanks for any input!!! I am hoping this cake leads to some orders (fingers crossed).

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 23 May 2007 , 12:05am
post #28 of 84

It isn't necessary to refrigerate this b/c and ganache to prevent spoilage.

However, it will firm up the frosting a bit - so don't know if this might be something you'd want to do because of the weather.

HTH

jeffer01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeffer01 Posted 23 May 2007 , 12:14am
post #29 of 84

JanH you are the BEST!!!!! icon_smile.gif Thank you so much!!!! I will try and make room and plan better next time....I think I just got too excited! icon_redface.gif

Love the chart!

cecilialovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cecilialovescake Posted 23 May 2007 , 12:21am
post #30 of 84

ohhh nooooo! Crisco is bad!!! you should use hi-ratio shortening!! icon_smile.gif (you use it in the same way that you use crisco)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%