Help!! Cupcakes, Cupcakes

Decorating By Mas Updated 14 Jun 2006 , 6:16pm by JoAnnB

Mas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mas Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 5:52pm
post #1 of 9

Hi, I'm a newbie. I was asked whether I am interested in supplying cupcakes for a thousand wedding guests sometime in January next year, going to split it with another friend making it 500 cupcakes between us. We haven't agreed on anything yet, still trying to figure out the best way to handle 500 cupcakes plus the decoration and the casing for the cupcakes. Any ideas on how early can we bake and decorate the cupcakes and what's the best solution to the type of BC that should be used?

8 replies
Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 6:16pm
post #2 of 9

First of all welcome to the Board. Wow, 1,000 cupcakes, that's mind boggling! Sure anxious to hear what our friends at CC have to say as I am clueless. Best of luck!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 6:16pm
post #3 of 9

I would definitely bake them ahead of time even a week or more before the event and freeze them! Then maybe start icing a day or two ahead of time. As for the decorations that all depends on what you're doing.......if you want bc roses or something those freeze well too and could be made at least a week ahead and frozen on pieces of wax paper in a sealed container. I've never frozen iced cakes or cupcakes but I've read that some do with no problems......so maybe you'd want to try that out and then you'd really be in no rush. I personally would probably make the bc ahead of time and the cupcakes and the flowers and then just ice and plop on the flowers as close to the event as possible. Casing for the cupcakes??? not sure what that means...if you mean like a display antonia74 has a really cool idea.... http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-22674.html

you can see the stand and the directions here if you're interested....

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 6:18pm
post #4 of 9

I think what she means by the casing is the paper liner. Right, Mas?

Mas Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 4:24am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

I would definitely bake them ahead of time even a week or more before the event and freeze them! Then maybe start icing a day or two ahead of time. As for the decorations that all depends on what you're doing.......if you want bc roses or something those freeze well too and could be made at least a week ahead and frozen on pieces of wax paper in a sealed container. I've never frozen iced cakes or cupcakes but I've read that some do with no problems......so maybe you'd want to try that out and then you'd really be in no rush. I personally would probably make the bc ahead of time and the cupcakes and the flowers and then just ice and plop on the flowers as close to the event as possible. Casing for the cupcakes??? not sure what that means...if you mean like a display antonia74 has a really cool idea.... http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-22674.html

you can see the stand and the directions here if you're interested....

thanks, I was thinking of the same, baking ahead but I think the baking part won't post a big problem, only on the buttercream part I'm a bit worried. but like u mention, might as well prepare everything in advanced...the casing i meant was the liner....or should I also look for a cupcake container??

Mas Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 4:26am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsgranny

I think what she means by the casing is the paper liner. Right, Mas?

yes you're definitely right, paper liner...

kbretzlaff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbretzlaff Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 11:27am
post #7 of 9

Cupcakes get dry quickly, though, don't they? Would baking them a couple days ahead and/or freezing them perpetuate the dryness?

I've made cupcakes before by putting 1/2 yellow batter, than a dollop of jam, then the rest of the batter. They are moist and taste delicious. It may be too much to do for 1000, though.

Best of luck!

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 11:55am
post #8 of 9

I am truly amazed that a person could have 1,000 close friends and relatives to invite to a wedding! It sounds like an absurd figure! I can't imagine the caterer preparing 1,000 meals either ... or even having 1,000 dishes! Wow! I have no help for you on cupcakes. You have a major task on your hands! Better start cooking everything in your freezer to make space! Good luck and please post a picture of the final presentation!

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 6:16pm
post #9 of 9

The logistics of 1,000 cupcakes are mind boggling without a commercial kitchen and a walk-in fridge. Cupcakes will dry out in the freezer, unless they are carefully wrapped. I compensate by putting a bit of icing in as a filling, then carry over to add a big swirl on the top of the cupcake.

You can get cupcake trays (CK makes them) in packages of 4 for about $1.50 but they only fit 12, so you will need 84 trays. You can probably get two into a 1/2 sheet box so you will need FORTY ONE 1/2 sheet boxes.

For 500 cupcakes, you will need 21 1/2 sheet boxes. Where will you store 21 boxes of iced cupcakes in the SUMMER.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%