First Wedding Cake For A Client....square Layers

Decorating By Erdica Updated 14 Jun 2006 , 11:41am by Erdica

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 2:55pm
post #1 of 8

I am making my first cake for a client for a wedding this weekend. She wants 4 tier square cakes stacked. I know there aren't square boards to place under the cakes. Does everyone usually just cut rectangle boards to squares or what do you suggest?

Thanks in advance!

7 replies
martig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
martig Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 3:01pm
post #2 of 8

I found some Wilton square separator plates years ago at a Ben Franklin. But, if I had to, I would cut a rectangle piece into squares. I have also read about using foam core board instead of cardboard, but I have never tried it myself.

Sue23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sue23 Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 6:34pm
post #3 of 8

This is some advise I got from a lady last night:
2. Cut a cardboard (this can even be from a cardboard box!) to the exact size of the cake. You should be able to get these cardboards at a cake decorating supply. Cover it with "fancy foil" - if you need help with this, let me know, I'm having trouble finding descriptive words right now. Anyway, it's the same size as the cake, or maybe 1/16" to 1/8" larger - because you will add the frosting & you can cover it with "pearling". When you put the cake on this, you can then tape it to a larger board to make transporting easier. You can later get it off with a metal spatula & carefully place it on top of the bottom layer. CAREFULLY! =)

2B. Make SURE to give the cake enough support. I just gave the 10" & 8" wedding cake a 5-layer of cardboard that I hot-glued together & then covered. If it doesn't have enough support, you are doomed. 1-1.5" should be great for any wedding cake though.

3. Assemble each cake [layer] & let it sit for a couple hours before you add the outer frosting (this is to allow gravity to take affect & you won't get the filling barrier bulging out). If you fill with something other than frosting, create a "dam" with frosting, to keep the filling from seeping out.

I hope this helps! I have one to do on the 8th. Good luck

Sue23 Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 6:35pm
post #4 of 8

I just read you should sprinkle powered sugar better layer to keep the icing from sticking to the board between layers.

Sue23 Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 6:37pm
post #5 of 8

I hope this helped you out. This lady took alot of time out to give me all the advise. Her name is Ocakes.

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 7:05pm
post #6 of 8

They are available, just not at Michael's etc. Find a cake decorating supply store and they have all sizes of round and square. They will be perfect for your cake. I say the $.25-.80 cost is well worth my time I would spend cutting.

No need to wrap it unless you have cut it from cardboard not specifically for food use. It is completely covered with cake and icing.

If you can't get the cake boards from the store, be careful. It is sometimes difficult to cut the cardboard without also bending it. Use a utility knife and ruler. Also you can use the bottom of your cake pan as a guide for the dimensions. That will make it a bit wider than your actual cake. You should use this cake circle/square as a guide for your icing. So it is important the cardboard is smooth.

It's a good idea to always use a cake board, even if you are putting the cake onto a cakeplate or other sturdy board or drum. When it is sliced the knive cuts into the cardboard instead of the plate, and any leftover cake can be transferred to a box or other container.

Just take a few pieces of double sided tape, fold them over and stick them on the sturdy board. Then place the cardboard (with cake) on top.

In my opinion, If this is a wedding cake, You owe it to your client and yourself to use professional products and give your cake a professional look.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 11:59pm
post #7 of 8

You got some great advice. Personally, I wrap the cake boards b/c you don't want to get cardboard "fuzz" in your cake. Also, they tend to get soggy.

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 11:41am
post #8 of 8

I intend to wrap the boards in fancy foil anyway. Even though they won't be seen, I just don't want any cardboard fuzzys or the cardboard to get soggy.

I'll check my local supplier for boards that are already square. I was there a little while ago (they should start charging me rent!), but I wasn't looking for that.

Thank you all for the good advice.

icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%