Ok Ladies ,let Me Solve Your Fondant Problems

Business By zubia Updated 16 Sep 2008 , 11:47pm by PattyT

zubia Posted 14 May 2007 , 9:35pm
post #1 of 19

Ok ladies ,let me solve your fondant problems.well,just chocolate fondant.I found this recipe and its sooooo good that my friends licked it off the plates.

Chocolate Rolled Fondant
Makes:2 3/4 pounds - enough to cover a 9-inch by 3-inch cake and a 6-inch by 3-inch cake.
Ingredients:
1 tablespoon gelatin
1/3 liquid cup water
2/3 liquid cup corn syrup
1 tablespoon glycerine
1/4 cup solid white vegetable shortening
1 teaspoon vanilla
6 1/4 cups powdered sugar (lightly spooned into cup)
*1 pound 9 ounces*
2 cups plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa (Dutch
Processed) or 2 1/2 cups
Nonalkalized cocoa such a Hershey's
Instructions:
Sprinkle the gelatin over the water in a 2-cup heatproof glass measure or bowl and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Set in a small pan of simmering water and stir until the gelatin is dissolved. (This can also be done in a few seconds in a microwave on high power, stirring once or twice.)
Blend in the corn syrup and glycerine, then add the shortening and stir until melted. Remove from the heat and stir in vanilla.
Mix the sugar and cocoa in a large bowl and make a well in the center.
Add the gelatin mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until blended. Mix with your hands and knead vigorously in the bowl until it forms a ball.
Turn out onto a smooth, lightly greased surface such as Formica or marble, clean your hands, and knead until smooth and satiny. If the fondant seems dry or brittle, add several drops of water and knead well.
The water will make it very sticky and messy at first. When the mixture holds together, scrape the counter clean, lightly grease it, and knead the fondant until smooth.
Chocolate Rolled Fondant is easier to work with if made one day ahead to give the moisture a chance to distribute evenly.
It is important to cover the fondant to prevent drying out. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and place in an airtight container.
When ready to roll out, spray the work surface and rolling pin with nonstick vegetable spray. Don't be alarmed if tiny cracks appear in the surface of the fondant; the warmth from the kneading or pressure from the rolling pin will make it smooth and satiny.
Tips:
If the cocoa is lumpy, process it in a food processor for a few seconds until powdery. If Lumpy cocoa is used it might not incorporated evenly into the fondant. If this should happen, the chocolate fondant can also be placed in the food processor for a few seconds until completely smooth. Don't try to process the whole batch at a time.

18 replies
Pootchi Posted 14 May 2007 , 11:15pm
post #2 of 19

Thanks! I'll have to try it!
icon_biggrin.gif

albumangel Posted 15 May 2007 , 12:05am
post #3 of 19

Oooo.. yummy fondant? I can't wait to try it!

I've been wanting to try the white chocolate fondant, too.

HunBun Posted 15 May 2007 , 12:33am
post #4 of 19

Thank you!

Shamitha Posted 15 May 2007 , 5:20am
post #5 of 19

Thank you. Will be trying this soon.

mamacc Posted 15 May 2007 , 2:07pm
post #6 of 19

thanks, this looks like a really good recipe! I'll definitely be trying it out soon.

Courtney

LearningCurve Posted 17 May 2007 , 12:30pm
post #7 of 19

I have nevered worked with Fondant but look forward to trying it soon!

LearningCurve Posted 17 May 2007 , 1:29pm
post #8 of 19

What do you guys put under chocolate fondant?? Chocolate icing of some sort or BC??

I am making a bridal shower cake in June. She wants chocolate cake and I was thinking about using this chocolate fondant recipe but think if I put chocolate under it too that would just be chocolate overload.

One other question is can I lighten it somehow (assuming it makes a dark cocoa color) so it makes a light cocoa color??

Thanks in advance!!

tinascakes Posted 17 May 2007 , 1:40pm
post #9 of 19

Sounds good!! I'll have to try it.

Dustbunny Posted 17 May 2007 , 1:41pm
post #10 of 19

I will be trying this, a yummy fondant would be great!!! Thanks!

rosita6882 Posted 17 May 2007 , 1:42pm
post #11 of 19

thanks.

kneadacookie Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 1:26pm
post #12 of 19

still haven't tried this recipe. i never thought i'd need an excuse to make a cake

sweetiemama Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 4:16pm
post #13 of 19

Oooh, thank you! I was looking for a good chocolate fondant recipe last month...I used one with chocolate chips. After an hour it was too hard to roll out. Thanks for this, I will use it next time.
icon_smile.gif Sweetiemama

ShirleyW Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 4:58pm
post #14 of 19

I have made this recipe in the past few years and found it to be a bit soft to work with. I finally found if I kneaded it half and half with Pettince chocolate fondant it made a nice consistency and easy to work with. The two together makes quite a large amount, so I only do that if I know I will be covering several cakes or one large layer.

Cynda Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 5:06pm
post #15 of 19

cant wait to try out!

bobwonderbuns Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 5:15pm
post #16 of 19

Thanks for that info Shirley!! I'll be sure to keep it mind when I try this recipe. icon_biggrin.gif

Luby Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 7:25pm
post #17 of 19

I've never made fondant but one of these days!

xstitcher Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 5:51am
post #18 of 19

thank you

PattyT Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 11:47pm
post #19 of 19

Adding my thanks to the rest. Can't wait to try this.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%