Need Very Moist Choc. Cake

Baking By keonicakes Updated 15 May 2007 , 2:10am by snarkybaker

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 14 May 2007 , 9:10pm
post #1 of 23

I need a very moist choc. cake recipe (easy please) and a simple rasberry filling for a customer. Thanks for your help.
Amy

22 replies
youngestdecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
youngestdecorator Posted 14 May 2007 , 9:19pm
post #2 of 23

To tell you the truth, pillsbury or Duncan makes an amazing chocolately and moist cake. And as for rasberry filling, there's a great recipe in the recipe box. Just look up rasberry filling and it will pop up. Good luck.!

Jenteach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenteach Posted 14 May 2007 , 9:28pm
post #3 of 23

For my chocolate cakes, I do one of 2 different recipes.

The first is:
the recipe here for Darn Good Chocolate cake but I omit the chocolate chips - very moist.

The second is:
The WASC recipe here, but instead of 1 C of flour (I use half the recipe) I put in 2/3 C of flour and 1/3 c of cocoa.

Both are very well received....

HTH

Jen

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 14 May 2007 , 9:28pm
post #4 of 23

the "darn good chocolate cake" recipe on here is awesome! Very moist and durable too.

I use icing fruits for raspberry filling, just add to your butter cream. Or use seedless raspberry preserves mixed with butter cream!

TinaRee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinaRee Posted 14 May 2007 , 9:34pm
post #5 of 23

The recipe here on CC---Durable Cake for 3D or Wedding Cakes---is really yummy.

1 Duncan Hines Yellow (or White) cake mix
4 egg whites
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 small pkg of instant vanilla pudding mix
1 cup sour cream

Instead use chocalate mix and chocolate pudding or even better use the Devil's food with the new Devil's food pudding. Really yummy.

canadiancookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
canadiancookie Posted 14 May 2007 , 9:39pm
post #6 of 23

I made the blue ribbon cake from this site for a Microsfot function I was catering and people raved about it. My son...who HATES cake begged me to make this for his bday.....

Here's the link...
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1988-Blue-Ribbon-Moist-and-Fudgey-Chocolate-Cake.html

hth
Sonya

Ladybug6509 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladybug6509 Posted 14 May 2007 , 9:42pm
post #7 of 23

this chocolate cake recipe is moist, my customers love it. Chocolatetown Special Cake

½ cup Cocoa Powder
½ cup boiling water
2/3 cup shortening
1 ¾ cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
2 ¼ cup flour
½ teaspoons baking soda
1 1/3 cups buttermilk or sour milk
(to sour milk, use 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon white vinegar plus milk to equal 1 1/3 cup)
Heat oven to 350. In a small bowl stir together boiling water and cocoa powder and set aside. In large mixer bowl, beat shortening, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add eggs and beat well. Stir together flour, baking soda and salt. Add to shortening mixture alternately with the buttermilk. Blend in cocoa powder mixture, beat well.

For a simple raspberry filling, take a bag of frozen raspberries and put them in a pot with a cup of sugar and 1 cup of water. Let that simmer and add 2 tablespoons of cornstarch to thicken it.

mdutcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdutcher Posted 14 May 2007 , 10:07pm
post #8 of 23

Yummmmm! All this talk of choc cake is making me hungry!!

I doctor up a mix and use the Choc syrup frosting recipe from here..... To die for!!! I'll have to try some of these scratch recipes next time i feel like experimenting.
Can't help much on the raspberry filling--I tried 2 different ones and neither were great...... Although, one time I added a little bit of pureed strawberries to my choc syrup frosting recipe and it was awesome!

cfdwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cfdwife Posted 14 May 2007 , 10:20pm
post #9 of 23

The guys at my hubby's firehouse think this is the best chocolate cake ever and I use it now for my customers and have always gotten comments on how moist it is.

1 pkg devil's food cake mix (I use pillsbury)
1 pkg (small one) of devils food instant pudding mix (you can use chocolate, fudge)
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup oil
4 eggs

Mix all together, the batter will be extremely thick!

2sdae Posted 14 May 2007 , 10:41pm
post #10 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfdwife

The guys at my hubby's firehouse think this is the best chocolate cake ever and I use it now for my customers and have always gotten comments on how moist it is.

1 pkg devil's food cake mix (I use pillsbury)
1 pkg (small one) of devils food instant pudding mix (you can use chocolate, fudge)
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup oil
4 eggs

Mix all together, the batter will be extremely thick!

This is the same as darn good chocolate cake" except for the choco chips! thumbs_up.gif

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 14 May 2007 , 10:53pm
post #11 of 23

I use Pillsbury dark chocolate cake mix. Sometimes I'll substitute Hershey's chocolate syrup for 1/2 the water to add a little pizazz! Everyone thinks it is great!

Beth in KY

2sdae Posted 14 May 2007 , 11:01pm
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethola

I use Pillsbury dark chocolate cake mix. Sometimes I'll substitute Hershey's chocolate syrup for 1/2 the water to add a little pizazz! Everyone thinks it is great!

Beth in KY

cake minds think alike!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 15 May 2007 , 12:59am
post #13 of 23

For those that have made the darn good cake:
Does your cake sink in the middle?
Have you tried it with a sheet pan?
thx!

terri-jo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terri-jo Posted 15 May 2007 , 1:12am
post #14 of 23

I use a recipie from epicurious.com It's the chocolate-stout recipie (originally puplished in Bon Appetite magazine) It has become my all-time most requested cake, and I'd be hard-pressed to use another. It's sooo moist and not-too-sweet so it can take just about any filling. I generally use a chocolate-cream cheese filling. Here it is

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/107105

Hope that helps

icon_smile.gif

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 15 May 2007 , 1:15am
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecrn

For those that have made the darn good cake:
Does your cake sink in the middle?
Have you tried it with a sheet pan?
thx!

Ooh I'd like to know the answer for that too - and how much does make? how many cups of batter? I need to make a 7 x 13 (or is it 11) cake.

sbcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sbcakes Posted 15 May 2007 , 1:19am
post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenteach

The first is:
the recipe here for Darn Good Chocolate cake but I omit the chocolate chips - very moist.

Jen

OOOHHH, I use the same recipe, but I add the choc chips! My customer's absolutely LOVE this cake with the choc. chips. They say it is such a nice surprise to bite into the "fudge". I call it Chocolate Fudge!

I never have had any "sinking" problems with that cake!

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 15 May 2007 , 1:23am
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by terri-jo

I use a recipie from epicurious.com It's the chocolate-stout recipie (originally puplished in Bon Appetite magazine) It has become my all-time most requested cake, and I'd be hard-pressed to use another. It's sooo moist and not-too-sweet so it can take just about any filling. I generally use a chocolate-cream cheese filling. Here it is

Hope that helps

icon_smile.gif

I make the beer cake too, and fill it with a bailey's caramel cream filling. Add fudge frosting and you have "Black and Tan" cake and it's the bomb diggity do!

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 15 May 2007 , 1:27am
post #18 of 23

I use the Epicurious cake recipe as well. It's in the recipe section and I think they call it double chocolate cake.
Jacqui

terri-jo Posted 15 May 2007 , 1:31am
post #19 of 23

Bailey's caramel cream filling???? Please share???? Yummmmmmm

terri-jo Posted 15 May 2007 , 1:32am
post #20 of 23

Hi Jacqui...they're two different recipies, but the double chocolate cake is great too!

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 15 May 2007 , 1:53am
post #21 of 23

Oh you're right Terri-jo. It's actually the chocolate layer cake that is the same as the Epicurious one. I was too lazy to look it up. icon_biggrin.gif
Jacqui

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 15 May 2007 , 1:58am
post #22 of 23

I've made chocolate root-beer cake. The recipe is in the recipe section. It's from the Cakemix doctor - except in the book it was a 7UP lemon/pineapple cake - and I changed it to chocolate rootbeer. It doesn't taste like rootbeer, just moist chocolate cake! People didn't even have any clue I had put rootbeer in it!

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 15 May 2007 , 2:10am
post #23 of 23

The "beer" cake that I make is a version of this cake:

The caramel cream filling I make is based on some ingredients that aren't always available outside the trade. I'll look to see if I can find reasonable substitutions and post it when I get a chance.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%