My Icing Is Always Wrinked!

Decorating By bethany98 Updated 17 May 2007 , 7:57pm by 2508s42

bethany98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethany98 Posted 14 May 2007 , 4:41pm
post #1 of 11

I'm not sure why, but no matter how smooth I get my buttercream icing, it always starts looking wrinkled - especially when it crusts on the counter instead of the fridge. If it crusts in the fridge, it usually enventually looks bad, too. Do I need to add merangue powder or something? I use the recipe of 1/2 butter, 1/2 crisco, powdered sugar, flavorings, etc. Any advice would be appreciated!

10 replies
bethany98 Posted 14 May 2007 , 5:00pm
post #2 of 11

bump

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 14 May 2007 , 5:51pm
post #3 of 11

How long are you waiting to smooth the buttercream? I looked at your cakes - and it looks (to me) that you're letting it crust too long before smoothing it. (the cakes are all cute BTW!)

cakeislove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeislove Posted 14 May 2007 , 6:22pm
post #4 of 11

I'm interested...mine sometimes do that too...BUMP

BlairsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlairsMom Posted 14 May 2007 , 6:36pm
post #5 of 11

Just another thought, are you sure that your boards are sturdy enough. if your board isn't strong enough when you move the cake it will crack and wrinkle the frosting. Just a thought I had this problem until I switch to foam board. Your cakes are great by the way! icon_smile.gif

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 14 May 2007 , 8:46pm
post #6 of 11

Are you smoothing the icing on the cake with a spatula dipped in water? Or are you misting the cake with water before smoothing? If yes to either, it could be you are using too much liquid. Dip your spatula in hot water, but then quickly wipe dry with a paper towel before smoothing the icing. If you are misting with a spray bottle you might need to hold it further away from the surface of the cake so you only get a very light mist, then smooth with a spatula.

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 14 May 2007 , 8:50pm
post #7 of 11

I couldn't get into your pics to see what it looked like, the site is running a little slow for me this afternoon. But if it actually has some cracks, some members have suggested using a little bit of vinegar in the icing. They say it works like a charm. Jen

bethany98 Posted 17 May 2007 , 12:21am
post #8 of 11

I appreciate all your tips! I'll have to pay attention next time to what I'm doing. I probably am letting it crust to long.

2508s42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2508s42 Posted 17 May 2007 , 1:26am
post #9 of 11

Blairsmom...foam board? I know I sound stupid... but are you just buying it and cutting it to size? Also, can you use it for wedding cakes in between the tiers? Also, do you still have to cover it if it is not the bottom piece that you are using for the show piece?

BlairsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlairsMom Posted 17 May 2007 , 1:09pm
post #10 of 11

Yes I buy the bigger 1/2inch thick sheets at Hobby Lobby and then cut to size. I got the idea from so many others on CC. I cover it as usual. Now in between tiers for a cake I am not sure as I have not done that yet. I am sure others will know those answers though!

2508s42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2508s42 Posted 17 May 2007 , 7:57pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks for the tip. I am TOTALLY going to do that! You're great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%