Airbrush Advice.... Looking To Buy

Decorating By faitheve Updated 11 Apr 2012 , 4:20am by daprincessnora

faitheve Posted 14 May 2007 , 3:40pm
post #1 of 12

I am just now looking into getting an airbrush. Can anyone give advice on a good one or tips when looking for them.. like the cheapest place to find themicon_smile.gif

Thanks guys!

Faith

11 replies
steffla Posted 14 May 2007 , 3:54pm
post #2 of 12

I just got this one for mothers day and i think it is perfect...

http://www.kopykake.com/cd_compressor_kroma_jet.html

but if you will be using it ALOT..maybe consider....

http://www.kopykake.com/cd_compressor_airmaster.html

HTH

EricaT Posted 14 May 2007 , 3:57pm
post #3 of 12

i dont know about the cheapest, i hav eyet to get one for my personal use, but i have worked at different bakeries using them. Go to KOPYKAKE.com and those are some good ones on there, the airmasterplus(the red one) is a good one. The compressor is around 240$ then the airbrush about 110$

bobwonderbuns Posted 14 May 2007 , 4:10pm
post #4 of 12

Look in recent American Cake Decorator magazines and see if they are still running the Airmaster Plus special -- the whole unit for $200. It's the same special they ran for ICES last summer.

BlueRoseCakes Posted 14 May 2007 , 4:28pm
post #5 of 12

I have an Airmaster, and I LOVE it. The coverage is great (when I was looking into getting an airbrush I heard all kinds of stories about cheaper brushes having spotty coverage), I've sprayed all kinds of frostings and gumpaste and mmf, and it always works great. I did some darker orange and gold gumpaste roses for a wedding cake, and I couldn't get the gumpaste dark enough so I sprayed the roses to the right color after they were dried and you couldn't even tell they were sprayed!
Also, the airmaster has a air control knob on the base so you can control the air flow as well as the color flow on the wand. Some of the smaller compressors don't have that option. (I used to work with a cake decorator that pinched the air hose to control the air flow when she was decorating, so that's an option if you go with a smaller version).
And make sure you order some air brush cleaner along with the compressor and colors. Water works fine between colors, but you'll need the cleaner for rinsing before storage. I forgot to order cleaner with mine and ran all over town (we don't have any cake specialty stores around here or any place that carries air brush supplies) trying to find something that was food safe to use until I could get the real stuff!

BrandisBaked Posted 14 May 2007 , 4:43pm
post #6 of 12

I bought two KopyKake airbrushes off of eBay very cheaply ... I'd recommend trying there first.

justsweet Posted 14 May 2007 , 4:48pm
post #7 of 12

I got the airmaster from kopykake. I LOVE it, it was also suggested by Browen Weber when I took her class. It does cost a little money and like posted it was in ACD vendor ad for $199 good deal.

faitheve Posted 14 May 2007 , 8:04pm
post #8 of 12

as always, thanks for the imputicon_wink.gif

daprincessnora Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 4:14am
post #9 of 12

Hi,
Was looking for a good airbrush brand, and since i find all here raving about airmaster i would consider it, i've seen a lot of cheaper brands with range on 60$ but now after the pitfalls i read about them, i think better to invest in good one.

Thanks for your advice all !

daprincessnora Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 4:15am
post #10 of 12

Hi,
Was looking for a good airbrush brand, and since i find all here raving about airmaster i would consider it, i've seen a lot of cheaper brands with range on 60$ but now after the pitfalls i read about them, i think better to invest in good one.

daprincessnora Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 4:19am
post #11 of 12

Hi,

daprincessnora Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 4:20am
post #12 of 12

Hi,

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%