Question On Mmf

Decorating By Chrisi Updated 15 May 2007 , 12:46pm by Chrisi

Chrisi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chrisi Posted 14 May 2007 , 11:36am
post #1 of 11

This is my first time making the MMF. I am going to be using the recipe from here that uses the marshmallow fluff vs. the whole marshmallows. I plan to use it to cover an 8" square 4" tall cake.
Question 1: Has anyone used this recipe?
Question 2: How much does it make? How much cake will it cover?
Question 3: Can I use a KA to mix it instead of using a spoon?
Question 4: Do I have to add coloring in the beginning or can I color it once it's blended?

I know this is a lot, but I want to know exactly what I'm dealing with before I jump into it. icon_rolleyes.gif
I am a Wilotn instructor and I am trying to compare the fondants. See if one works better for my students. icon_wink.gif

Thank you in advance.

10 replies
darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 14 May 2007 , 11:45am
post #2 of 11

I made the mmf last week for the first time and I also made the one from toba for the first time and I have to say the the toba one wins hands down, its so much less messy than the mmf and was very easy and fast to make. I added almond flavour and loved the taste its on the mothers day cake in my pics (little pink one) When I put the mmf on my cake I found that it cracked and tore but not so with toba's JMHO. hope this helps.

Chrisi Posted 14 May 2007 , 11:50am
post #3 of 11

What is toba's JMHO?

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 14 May 2007 , 11:51am
post #4 of 11

just my honest opinion lol

Biya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biya Posted 14 May 2007 , 11:57am
post #5 of 11

I have used the fluff recipe. It was really quick and easy to make. I also add a tiny bit of almond extact for flavor, be careful its easy to add too much. Always mix mine by hand its so easy that its hardly worth making a mess of the mixer. I usually make a double batch divide it into ziplocs I always have enough for a couple of cakes. This also lets me make a few different colors. You can color before if its all the same color, add it to the fluff, stir with a spoon and it wont get on your fingers.

JennyLane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennyLane Posted 14 May 2007 , 12:14pm
post #6 of 11

I've only made it from whole marshmallows (mini ones). I guess I hadn't realized there was a fluff version. I'm not thinking there's much of a difference though? We put a pound of marshmallows in a microwave safe bowl and heat them before adding the powdered sugar. What we get with the heat is essentially warm fluff anyway and I didn't need to scrape the sides of a jar/tub to get it. I think kneading in the sugar is where the mess comes in. We have decided not to use the dough hook on our kitchen aid mixer and do it all by hand as we're not sure the KA motor could handle it. (Besides, it's a mini workout!)

momof5kiki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof5kiki Posted 14 May 2007 , 12:19pm
post #7 of 11

I have never made that one, but I did just make Rhonda's mmf, and it was sooooo much better then the other mmf I had tried.

You can mix the color in when you are doing the liquid, or you can kneed the color in after. I have done both.

stacyyarger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacyyarger Posted 14 May 2007 , 12:22pm
post #8 of 11

Hi,
I started this cake stuff last year and have been trying to teach myself.I have used MMF over the weekend for a wedding cake for the first time.It was really easy to make but I didn't use KA I did it my hand and in the micowave and added my color after I put my water in it and everything seemed to work out just fine.I had no trouble or problems.If you would like to have the recipe that I used just PM me.

I hope I helped alittle,

Stacy

Chrisi Posted 14 May 2007 , 12:38pm
post #9 of 11

So I take it mixing by hand is the best way, huh?

Thanks for all the help. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Chrisi Posted 15 May 2007 , 11:50am
post #10 of 11

I am a believer now!!! I love this stuff!! I made the marshmallow fluff fondant yesturday for a class. It took some kneading, but it all came together. It rolled out like a dream. I formed to the cake, it seemed, a lot easier than Wilton's. I have a picture of the finished cake, but my darn computer is acting funny. Oh I almost forgot my favorite part....over night on the cake, the fondant stayed soft. I did the basic present cake. Covering the cake in MMF, but I had leftover Wilton stuff, sso I used that for the flowers and bow. All the Wilton stuff is all nearly hard as a rock. The MMF is still soft. I LOVE IT!! I am for sure going to tell my students about this fondant.

But can this MMF be used to make the rose? Can I add gum text to it? Or is that another recipe altogether?

By the way, if I have't said it before, thank you all for you insight, and help. You have taught an old dog a trick. Thank you. I will try and get that picture posted.

Chrisi Posted 15 May 2007 , 12:46pm
post #11 of 11

Here is the pic of my basic present cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%