How Long Been Decorating?????

Decorating By TPDC Updated 6 Jul 2006 , 6:58am by Chef_Stef

rachmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachmakescakes Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 8:30pm
post #31 of 96

I took the Wilton classes during my senior year of high school about four years ago. I love decorating cakes and I have so many ideas but not enough time to experiment.

It's nice to know there are so many other people out there just like me. I can't believe I didn't find this website sooner!

AmyBeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyBeth Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 8:44pm
post #32 of 96

I started taking the Wilton classes from Missyek Aug 05. I finished in Oct with Course 3. I started teaching in March of this year.

I LOVE IT!

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 8:45pm
post #33 of 96

Oh spottydog and janetwhitson.......5 months for me also!

itsloops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsloops Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 8:51pm
post #34 of 96

4 months. I get my official "cake decorator" certificate this coming Saturday. I'm sooooooooo excited!!!!

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

greenhorn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greenhorn Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 8:56pm
post #35 of 96

I have always loved to bake, but as far as cakes went, I could slap a can of frosting on them and write with the decorators tube and think it was finished. Then two months ago, my daughter (age icon_cool.gif and I decided to take the Wilton class, and an obsession was born. We are in level III now, and I would love to do this rather than my "day" job, but that will have to wait for awhile!

mushbug9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mushbug9 Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 8:57pm
post #36 of 96

I have been trying on my own for about a year but couldn't seem to get it. I took my first class in January of this year and icon_surprised.gif amazingly am an instructor now. How did that happen??? icon_eek.gif

ljhow623 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljhow623 Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 8:58pm
post #37 of 96

I just really started them in March so I guess it's 3 1/2 months for me. I haven't taken any classes I have just been picking up tips here and there. Besides who needs classes when we have it all at our fingertips with this site. It certainly has taught me a lot and have been enjoying it very much. Thank you everyone!

myholidayboyz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myholidayboyz Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 10:42pm
post #38 of 96

I've always been the baker and the frosting maker and my husband has been the decorater. We just started taking classes the WMI classes last week. I decorated *MY* first cake yesterday. icon_smile.gif

cmmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmmom Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 10:59pm
post #39 of 96

My first cake I EVER did was for my daughter's 2nd birthday. So it will be 2 years in Sept. I'm still a newbie and loving it!

edencakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edencakes Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 11:12pm
post #40 of 96

I made and decorated my own birthday cake when I turned twelve (it was a cat - lol) and that got me interested, and I dabbled for a while... then I made my sister's wedding cake when I was 18, and I've been hooked ever since!

SO - I started around 13 years ago, but have been doing it more seriously for around 7 years.

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 11:17pm
post #41 of 96

5 months for me!

MaraCarter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaraCarter Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 11:20pm
post #42 of 96

About 6 months for me.

Schmoop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Schmoop Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 11:26pm
post #43 of 96

offically, 5 months for me too...other than the kids birthday cakes over the past four years.

DiscoLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiscoLady Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 11:32pm
post #44 of 96

Going on 7 years now. I took Wilton Course I, to learn how to make roses for my cupcakes; make 'em look fancier you know, and I just kept going from there.
I know I won't ever be as good as some of the other people in here but I'm kind of lazy and don't aspire to be another Collette Peters; also why I don't use fondant to cover my cakes or fuss with gumpaste flowers and all that. But I think I'm good enough at what I do and it keeps me busy and happy icon_rolleyes.gif
Funny thing, my mom used to do cakes out of our home in the 70's. I never dreamed I'd be making cakes too all these years later...I'm just glad she was able to see some of my work when I was just starting out, she passed away 2 years ago and I know she was very proud of me icon_smile.gif

alracntna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alracntna Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 11:38pm
post #45 of 96

i have been decorating for 3 years now but i started professionally 4 months ago. i love saying that...lol im a professional..lol

kraftychristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kraftychristy Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 11:46pm
post #46 of 96

I've been decorating-off and on- for about 5 years. I went to Micheal's one day and just happened to go by the Cake Decorating aisle. I've been hooked ever since. One day I hope to open my own shop. But that's way off in the future!

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 12:00am
post #47 of 96

i've been baking cakes & nut breads since i was 12-13, been decorating for about 15 yrs (for family), i still don't know anything but the basics but CC has taught me so much & inspired me to give this a chance, it will not be a sudden thing, but a slow process, slow will be okay, and i think this is just what i need (i heart CC)

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 2:15am
post #48 of 96

I have made gingerbread houses from "scratch" for about 20 years, have been baking cakes, cookies and breads for 25+ years, but just started cake decorating in February of last year. I was called by my former instructor to see if I was interested in teaching her classes in January of this year (she wanted to retire) and I have been a Wilton Instructor now for 3 months! I absolutely LOVE it.

BTW - I went to the AIM yesterday (annual instructor meeting) and was one of the 3 ~ 1st place winners in the display contest!!! I was so tickled!! The other 2 were ladies that have been decorating a lot longer than I have, so I was very honored to have been picked with them. I don't have a digital camera anymore, so as soon as I get the 35mm film developed, I will definately put that picture in my photos.

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 3:45am
post #49 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcrew

BTW - I went to the AIM yesterday (annual instructor meeting) and was one of the 3 ~ 1st place winners in the display contest!!! I was so tickled!! The other 2 were ladies that have been decorating a lot longer than I have, so I was very honored to have been picked with them. I don't have a digital camera anymore, so as soon as I get the 35mm film developed, I will definately put that picture in my photos.

That is awesome, Quadcrew! I would love to see the photo--not to steal your idea of course! icon_lol.gif I have one in mind, but it seems to be a common theme that most are doing... icon_cry.gif What did you do for yours?

Lousaria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lousaria Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 3:52am
post #50 of 96

I took my first Wilton class last March (2005) and I finished the last one last June. So I've actually only been doing it for about 1 year. I love it though. It so much fun, I love to see the finished product.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 4:07am
post #51 of 96

Thank you! I will post the pic as soon as the roll of film is full....(I HATE not having my digital camera - I need to get another one) Anyways.....what I did was use the 12" round wilton cake base (silver) I did 3 mini cakes and set them on the base - one for each course. The course one and two were done exactly like the final one that is in the books, buttercream and all. Then I did a mini - tiered wedding cake for the course 3 cake....used fondant for that one, and used the little wilton pegs for the pillars. It really turned out pretty cute!

Tiffysma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffysma Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 6:35am
post #52 of 96

I've been baking since I was a young teenager, about 40 years (gosh, I'm old!) When my son was small, I made "cut up" cakes and decorated on my own - airplanes, trains, rocket ships, etc. He's now 29 and I took the 3 Wilton classes last year. Now I bake for the grandchildren, friends and family. I love it!! I'm getting some cake orders now from people who have either seen my cakes or eaten them. I have my 1st wedding cake in July (very nervous) . My hubby says I have a Baking Addiction. I know you can all relate.

candy177 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candy177 Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 2:28pm
post #53 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoLady

Going on 7 years now. I took Wilton Course I, to learn how to make roses for my cupcakes; make 'em look fancier you know, and I just kept going from there.
I know I won't ever be as good as some of the other people in here but I'm kind of lazy and don't aspire to be another Collette Peters; also why I don't use fondant to cover my cakes or fuss with gumpaste flowers and all that. But I think I'm good enough at what I do and it keeps me busy and happy icon_rolleyes.gif
Funny thing, my mom used to do cakes out of our home in the 70's. I never dreamed I'd be making cakes too all these years later...I'm just glad she was able to see some of my work when I was just starting out, she passed away 2 years ago and I know she was very proud of me icon_smile.gif

You know, my mom used to do cakes also! I don't think she did a whole lot of paid cakes, but still. I also never dreamed I'd be doing cakes either - I needed to go back to work after my son was born and so I applied at the supermarket and ended up in the bakery...it was all downhill from there!

I'm sure your mother was very proud of you too. icon_biggrin.gif

sarb21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarb21 Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 2:31pm
post #54 of 96

I just started cake decorating classes last week!

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 2:33pm
post #55 of 96

I've been decorating for 4 months and I LOVE IT!! I never knew I would enjoy something so much!

Great topic.

Angie

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 3:15pm
post #56 of 96

Goodness, I feel like a newbie! I have loved cake all my life, but only made mixes with canned frosting on top, or that old coconut covered cut-out bunny for Easter. LOL

I took Course 1 in 2002 and fell in love! But I lived in Cape Girardeau, MO back then and all they offerred was Course I, so that's all I had to practice......... when I moved to Nashville in 2003, I repeated Course I and took II and III. I am so addicted. I hope to very soon be able to go to Chicago and take the Master Course.

Ishie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ishie Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 3:23pm
post #57 of 96

I've only been at it for about 3 months. It's challenging for me. I am still having a hard time just frosting the darn cakes, lol!

DiscoLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiscoLady Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 3:25pm
post #58 of 96

[quote="candy177

You know, my mom used to do cakes also! I don't think she did a whole lot of paid cakes, but still. I also never dreamed I'd be doing cakes either - I needed to go back to work after my son was born and so I applied at the supermarket and ended up in the bakery...it was all downhill from there!

I'm sure your mother was very proud of you too. icon_biggrin.gif[/quote]

Oh how nice icon_smile.gif I guess it's in the blood! My son and daughter are now making cakes too ...if I may share...and they're not too shabby for 10 & 11 icon_rolleyes.gif
LL
LL

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 3:32pm
post #59 of 96

Off and on for 27 yrs. I took a short class for beginners ( not Wilton), and have done mostly cakes for family and friends. I had really gotten away from decorating until I found this site, and got all fired up again!

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 6:59pm
post #60 of 96

I made my first cake 34 years ago! It was a 13 x 9 cake that I decorated as a flag for 4th of July. It took me 7 1/2 hours!!!! Oh, the love of stars!
I have increased my business since we moved to NC 3 years ago. I now primarily do wedding cakes. And I am still learning new techniques with each cake! I have been doing chocolates sine 1978 also.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%