Stuffed Strawberries...

Baking By StephW Updated 19 Sep 2010 , 1:33am by bobwonderbuns

chocolateandpeanutbutter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolateandpeanutbutter Posted 22 May 2007 , 10:04pm
post #91 of 153

Doughbelly, I just wanted to say good luck with your new business. What a great idea for you and your mom and your sister. I think it would be good for everyone.

Boy, if I lived close, I'd be stopping in to visit your shop on a regular basis for some of those stuffed strawberries for sure!

ps - I see frozen cheesecake all the time in stores and at Costco, so I don't see why you couldn't freeze a baked cheesecake. (Not sure about unbaked)

susanscakebabies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakebabies Posted 22 May 2007 , 10:13pm
post #92 of 153

Ok, that sounds tooo yummy, I am going to have to try that. I was thinking cannoli filling would be good too, kinda like cheesecake.

Doughbelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doughbelly Posted 22 May 2007 , 11:14pm
post #93 of 153

chocolateandpeanutbutter...thank you so much....if you're ever in Weatherford Oklahoma...stop by...the stuffed strawberry is my treat..

I bet it is beautiful in Canada!! I've only been there once...to see Niagra Falls from the Candadian side...simply beautiful.

Doughbelly's is going to be the name of the business. That was a HORRIBLE nickname that my cousins gave me when I was just a small child. Over the years, ALL of the male's in my family called me that (even at the age of 44 icon_evil.gif ) I never once told anyone my nickname...but then when I decided to open the business...and I was trying to think of the perfect name...well.....it just seemed right. So it came out of the skeleton closet....and now I use it... (as Oprah would say "it was a full circle moment". lol.)

susanscakebabies....I agree..I think a cannoli filling would be great in a strawberry... I will have to try it.

jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 22 May 2007 , 11:30pm
post #94 of 153

i made a key lime cheesecake for my dh for his birthday last week, so i had some sitting in the fridge, and would you look at that! i had strawberries too. so as i was making a batch of chocolate dipped strawberries for a customer, i made her a bonus stuffed one too. it's the one on the bottom right.

lol, then my dh ate all the cheesecake! icon_cry.gif
LL

CupOfButter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupOfButter Posted 23 May 2007 , 12:08am
post #95 of 153

Hi Ladies...I have a ? about the whole patent thing...is she trying to get a patent for her technique or what? Like others have said we also have been making strawberries filled with all kinds of things for years....cookie dough, cake and buttercream, fruit salad, banana pudding, etc. We just called them filled strawberries not stuffed. Maybe I'll go file a patent for baking a cake...lol!

Doughbelly Posted 23 May 2007 , 1:55am
post #96 of 153

From reading her patent application...she is saying that stuffing strawberries is her invention. Hard to believe....

StephW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StephW Posted 23 May 2007 , 2:47am
post #97 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughbelly

Steph....how horrible for your friend...I cannot imagine (nor do I ever want to)...burying my child. I have a 9 year old son and a 24 year old daughter....they are my world. My prayers are with her and I hope she has lots of support.

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers for her - she has an older son...and hopefully caring for him will help her find a way out of the darkness. Also, her husband and family are supportive. Like you, I can't even imagine this.

Thanks again... *smiles*

Suzie757 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzie757 Posted 23 May 2007 , 2:00pm
post #98 of 153

I found a great link for Eminger's strawberries where she gives her cheesecake recipe. Check it out Ladies !!! icon_smile.gif
http://www.wcsh6.com/life/lifestyle/207/article.aspx?storyid=59203

Laura102777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura102777 Posted 23 May 2007 , 2:23pm
post #99 of 153

I'm trying to understand this. There is a video link earlier in the thread of this woman on a tv show demonstrating how to stuff and dip strawberries. She shows how to make them like little brides and grooms. Why would someone file a patent on something, then go demonstrate exactly how to do it on tv so that everyone at home could make their own? Am I missing something?

jaime455 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaime455 Posted 23 May 2007 , 2:39pm
post #100 of 153

OMG my mind is running crazy!! Do you guys think this would be a good present for a end of year teacher gift if i made a tray of the stuffed strawberries and some other chocolate covered items I have been racking my brain with what to give them!!

StephW Posted 23 May 2007 , 2:59pm
post #101 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie757

I found a great link for Eminger's strawberries where she gives her cheesecake recipe. Check it out Ladies !!! icon_smile.gif
http://www.wcsh6.com/life/lifestyle/207/article.aspx?storyid=59203

Yes, that link was poseted earlier in the thread. And if you click on the Play video link to the right... there is a video of her showing how to stuff the berries and dip and decorate them too.

StephW Posted 23 May 2007 , 3:01pm
post #102 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura102777

I'm trying to understand this. There is a video link earlier in the thread of this woman on a tv show demonstrating how to stuff and dip strawberries. She shows how to make them like little brides and grooms. Why would someone file a patent on something, then go demonstrate exactly how to do it on tv so that everyone at home could make their own? Am I missing something?

I am missing it too Laura. It makes no sense. And in her patent application - she says that she doesn't want anyone else to be able to stuff a strawberry, because she invented it.... hmmmmm. But why go on TV to give everyone directions? For the publicity obviously - but that is just not right IMO.

Jaime - I think that would make a great gift. I am sure the teachers would love them. I know my in-laws loved the tray of them that I made. They are easy to do and you look good because you can do such things.

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 23 May 2007 , 3:38pm
post #103 of 153

I am really not bringing this up to be catty please don't take it that way. Is there any way to protest or somehow object to this patent? It seems awfully unfair that she can claim to have invented this, be granted a patent, and then rightfully stop anyone else from selling these things.

She did not invent this. She may have a special method for doing it and that's her business but there is NO WAY she can claim that she thought this up before anyone else adn has sole rights to it. I would think that no one has thought to try and prevent others from making and selling them.

As for why she publicized it, for publicity as someone said and if she believes she is the only one with a right to sell it and that right is protected then who does it hurt to put it out there?[/i]

StephW Posted 23 May 2007 , 3:57pm
post #104 of 153

Lenette, I don't know if there is a way to comment on patent applications or not. I have not had the time to research it further. If you look at the US Patent site - there is a ton of information there. You can even see her patent application. But I have not been able to wade thru everything as of yet. So take a look if you can... and let me know if yoou find something.

Doughbelly Posted 23 May 2007 , 4:56pm
post #105 of 153

Lenette, below is some info on protesting:

"Protests by a member of the public against pending applications will be referred to the examiner having charge of the subject matter involved. A protest specifically identifying the application to which the protest is directed will be entered in the application file if: (1) The protest is submitted prior to the publication of the application or the mailing of a notice of allowance under rule 1.311, whichever occurs first; and (2) The protest is either served upon the applicant in accordance with rule 1.248, or filed with the Office in duplicate in the event service is not possible. For more detailed information on protesting a patent, you may visit our Web site at http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/pac/mpep/mpep.htm for the Manual of Patent Examining Procedure (MPEP) Chapter 1900."

I am a little confused about (1).....since the application has already been published. The way I read it...if one wants to protest after the publication of the application...they must have the protest served to the applicant of the patent.

I don't think you are being catty at all. I was noticing another forum where the price of stuffed strawberries was the discussion. If she is able to get a patent on stuffed strawberries...then anyone who sells them are subject to suit. She provides instructions...because she knows that we can make stuffed strawberries...eat them, give them as gifts, share them with the office....but we CANNOT sell them for a profit. [/quote]

StephW Posted 24 May 2007 , 3:00pm
post #106 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughbelly

I don't think you are being catty at all. I was noticing another forum where the price of stuffed strawberries was the discussion. If she is able to get a patent on stuffed strawberries...then anyone who sells them are subject to suit. She provides instructions...because she knows that we can make stuffed strawberries...eat them, give them as gifts, share them with the office....but we CANNOT sell them for a profit.

Hmmmmm.... IF she gets this patent - then perhaps I will invent the first do-it-yourself strawberry kit. Great activity for parties. I will provide everything needed to create a chocolate covered berry, with optional fillings. I will even cut the berries. Then whomever has bought the kit from me - can lay everything out and the guests can create their own. thumbs_up.gif

Cake_Mooma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Mooma Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 2:12am
post #107 of 153

Welcome Doughbelly!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I think that the whole dessert ides is great. There is/was a "Dessert Restaurant" that I went to when I lived in New York 13 years ago and it was just great. For the life of me, I can't remember the name but I do remember that it was packed every night. It was in the city in Soho, not to far from the World Trade (don't know if it's still there, just went to the site for the first time in December and I wasn't even thinking of the place, it was a healing thing for hubby and I). Anyway, they named there desserts after diner dishes, but with a dessert twist. Like: "Chocolate Fried Cheesecake" - Chicken fried steak. It was an incredible cheesecake with a chocolate crust with a tiny scoop of fried ice cream. It is the only one I remember because it was the one I ordered all the time. I tried a brownie thing to but can't remember the name. I'll have to ask hubby if he remebers any names. Good luck with your new adventure, if I am ever in the area I'll be sure to stop by.

As for the stuffed/filled strawberries I just did some ( I have been dying to try them since I saw them on the post.) but I made them with a filling that has the cheesecake flavors but I didn't have to cook it and it worked wonderful and tasted GREAT!!! My son was sucking them down as if he were a vacuum cleaner and they were the crumbs on the floor. He was stuck to that plate. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif I guess that if I give the recipe I will have to fill out a patent app because I had never heard of filled strawberries. So since I have never heard of them, I invented them. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif .Nah icon_rolleyes.gificon_wink.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_wink.gif
I filled them with a cream cheese filling and I didn't cook it, yet it had the full cheesecake flavor. Here goes.

Cheesecake filling:

One Reg. /lrg. package of Cream Cheese - Soften
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
1/2 Teaspoon Lemon Juice
1/4 Cup Sugar.

Mix all ingredients together until well combined. Place filling in pipping bag with a #12 tip. Filled strawberries, then dipped in Chocolate. Refrigerated for 1/2 hour and Done. icon_lol.gif

Hope you girls like. I cut the bottom of the berries and than I held the bottoms to the rest of the berry with a toothpick to dip in the chocolate. Than once I the berry/chocolate was set in the fridge I removed the toothpick from the top/stem half of the strawberry. I hope you guys all understand what I mean.

have fun and enjoy filling strawberries.

Vicky

Cake_Mooma Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 2:32am
post #108 of 153

Ladies this is reallyfiunny but I just googled Emingers berries and the third site on the searchis our cinversation about the berries and her. Actually it is one 4 that are on here at CakeCentral. I think she is going to come and get us any time now for talking about her. icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

I just saw the video and is she a little cocky or what. When the guy asked her how did she come up with this idea she said that she wanted to do something better than the other chefs. Funny how she can do something better by doing something that already been done. icon_rolleyes.gif

If you havn't watched the video you need to watch. It is actually pretty good the way she does it. I didn't do it that way at all. I cut the bottom but in the shape of a v going around the berry not just chopping a piece of and getting rid of the peice. I put the peice back so you still get the whole berry and none of the flavors overpower the other.

Vicky

randipanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
randipanda Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 3:10am
post #109 of 153

Interesting, her site www.emingerberries.com is no longer availiable......

Cake_Mooma Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 4:13am
post #110 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by randipanda

Interesting, her site www.emingerberries.com is no longer availiable......

I thought it was just my computer. I wonder what happend icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif

StephW Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 1:24pm
post #111 of 153

Wow... it is down. I wonder if it is just the server that is down or if she took the site down?

thedessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thedessertdiva Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 6:10pm
post #112 of 153

Boy, is this an interesting thread.

About 2-3 months ago I was watching the Food Network and on the show Road Tasted (or tested) with Paula Deens two boys, they were at Emmingers Berries, showingher process of the Stuffed Strawberry. Not a big deal, but then out of her mouth came "I invented the Stuffed Strawberry".

My jaw dropped. My husbands jaw dropped. My sisters jaw dropped.

My mom was making Stuffed Strawberries and selling them in her bakery...back in THE 60's in Novato CA! I have been making them and selling them in my business for years now!

So what do I do, because I am a little trouble maker... icon_lol.gif

I call her shop in maine and inquire about her strawberries. The girl who answered the phone said that Susan would call me back. Never heard from her.

I also looked up the patent and as far as my understanding and the understanding of my lawyer, she can only patent HER PROCESS of the "stuffing". So I dont think there is any worry about it...although it is funny that her website is gone now...although I do have her phone number and email address...bwaaahahahahaaa

Maybe I'll call gaian and ask what happened...

StephW Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 6:25pm
post #113 of 153

Please call if you can - I would love to know what's going on with the website. I can speculate all day long though. Let us know what you find out.

I think she has a great product - I just don't believe she invented stuffing a strawberry. And many posts in this thread back that up.

thedessertdiva Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 6:33pm
post #114 of 153

Ok...super sleuth DessertDiva... icon_lol.gif

I called her number that I have and I get a recording saying that "the mailbox for this phone number is full and cannot take anymore messages". So I send an email inquiring about orders made online (you could order directly from her website). Still waitin on a response for that.

I know that she is located across from a Pats Pizza in Auburn Maine so I call there and ask if the shop is still there. The woman on the phone says its still there, but she does not know if it is still open..." hmmmmm.

Interesting...

thedessertdiva Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 6:36pm
post #115 of 153

Susan, the so-called inventor of this, is all of about 29 yrs old, so how can she invent something that my mother was doing 40+ yrs ago? I believe that she has the right to patent her process of the stuffing, but the idea and product of stuffing a strawberry is so not her invention!

StephW Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 6:53pm
post #116 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedessertdiva

Ok...super sleuth DessertDiva... icon_lol.gif

I called her number that I have and I get a recording saying that "the mailbox for this phone number is full and cannot take anymore messages". So I send an email inquiring about orders made online (you could order directly from her website). Still waitin on a response for that.

I know that she is located across from a Pats Pizza in Auburn Maine so I call there and ask if the shop is still there. The woman on the phone says its still there, but she does not know if it is still open..." hmmmmm.

Interesting...

You could have a second career as a private detective... icon_lol.gif

Very interesting. Thanks for the 411!

Cake_Mooma Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 6:57pm
post #117 of 153

Very interesting. icon_cool.gif

Keep us posted. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Vicky

jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 7:01pm
post #118 of 153

do you think is was because of our posts that she's no longer in business? i agree that it's not right that she claimed to have invented something she didn't, but i would feel bad if this thread cost her her livelihood.

StephW Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 7:43pm
post #119 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by jescapades

do you think is was because of our posts that she's no longer in business? i agree that it's not right that she claimed to have invented something she didn't, but i would feel bad if this thread cost her her livelihood.

I would highly doubt that we would have cost her any customers with this thread. I would doubt that anyone willing to spend that kind of money for a stuffed berry would be reading a post here on a do-it-yourself site.

Also, no one ever questioned the quality of her product. Only the fact that she invented them.

alibugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alibugs Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 8:03pm
post #120 of 153

Maybe it was because she charged $9 a darn strawberry. That's alot. I have made them since I saw this. It doesn't take $9 to make this. Maybe if you used la maison chocolate. Well, actually you would have to charge a little more.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%