First And Last Cake!!!

Decorating By Eliruthy Updated 12 Jun 2006 , 5:09pm by spottydog

Eliruthy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eliruthy Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 2:55am
post #1 of 17

OMG. What a NEAR DISASTER. This was supposed to be a 14-10-6 double layer strawberry filled cake for my sister's wedding yesterday. The six inch got nixed due to instability---the cake was weak or something and after we finally got the 14 and 10 covered, we had NO TIME to do the 6. I was also in the wedding and my day went like this:

Dressed for wedding
Drive 1 1/2 hours for photos
Change into cake clothes
Finish cake
Change back into wedding clothes and was IN the wedding

So, my fondant turned out fine, except i should have done a practice huge cake b/c if you notice the BACK of the cake, it wrinkled but i was having too much trouble keeping the strawberry from leaking i didn't care at that point. It turned out looking decent in the front, and i put my mistakes in the back!!!!!!! Tasted GREAT!!!!!!!! NEVER AGAIN.
LL
LL

16 replies
martinez73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
martinez73 Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 2:58am
post #2 of 17

Well you did a great job of hiding your mistakes...I would have never guessed what was wrong...Good Job!!!!!!!!!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 2:59am
post #3 of 17

You can't stop now....you have achieved the true hallmark of a decorator...you hid the mistakes....well!! It looks great from the front!! You will learn something each and every time you make a cake. So learn from this, enjoy that you did a beautiful job and I'm sure they loved it!!! icon_smile.gif

barbaranoel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbaranoel Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 3:00am
post #4 of 17

I think it turned out great! Who cares how the back looks.

Barb

MaryD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaryD Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 3:01am
post #5 of 17

I understand your pain but don't give up. I bet if you weren't in the wedding the fondant would have turned out better. Time is one thing it seems you did not have, and needed bad. I am sure your sister loved it anyway.

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 3:02am
post #6 of 17

I'm sure everyones cakes have hiden mistakes your cake looks great.

Molly2

Mine do icon_wink.gif

Eliruthy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eliruthy Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 3:07am
post #7 of 17

Thanks guys. I have learned SO MUCH from this site. Except, I learned a few things too late!!! I know some key things i didn't do that would have made a difference in my filling leaking and the overall shape of the cake...but, the fondant is something i'm not sure about. It seemed as though I needed to cut it and stretch it around b/c of the folds---like there was too much and nowhere to put it........was i supposed to cut it?

chellebell70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellebell70 Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 3:20am
post #8 of 17

Me to...I hide my mistakes. I know I am my worst critic. Most people never notice all those little things we don't like about our cakes. It takes alot for me to even be happy with something I've done...and my family reminds me I don't have to like every cake I do... it's more important that the person it's for does. Don't quit...I feel that way almost everytime I make a cake...and the in rolls another order, another challenge and hopefully another happy customer!

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 3:40am
post #9 of 17

The most important lesson, is think twice about doing a cake for someone whose wedding you would like to enjoy. And not look frazzled in the pics!!!! Believe me I made a cake for my sis's wedding and she lives 1000 miles away. Insanity!!! icon_cry.gif Now my bro is getting married and I told him flat out...don't go there!

Kos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kos Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 3:44am
post #10 of 17

The front of your cake is stunning. You pulled it off well, especially for such a challenging schedule! Wow! icon_eek.gif

kos

(I also like the title of your cake photo! icon_lol.gif)

ANGELA0520 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANGELA0520 Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 3:54am
post #11 of 17

I feel your pain, I have done the cakes for both of my sisters weddings. One of the weddings was outdoors, in Montana. I designed the cake myself and I was pleasantly suprised at the results. I set up the cake and went over to the cermony. Upon returning I notices that the cake was destroyed, apparently one of the guests decided to bring their new puppy to the wedding. I was so upset, The dog had eaten the whole back side of the first layer. I laugh now but it was not funny at the time.

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 4:11am
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGELA0520

Upon returning I notices that the cake was destroyed, apparently one of the guests decided to bring their new puppy to the wedding. I was so upset, The dog had eaten the whole back side of the first layer. I laugh now but it was not funny at the time.

Good Gravy!!!! That is a story to tell the grandkids!!! Montana really is still the wild west!

pinkopossum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkopossum Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 1:06pm
post #13 of 17

excellent job covering up the mistakes...would have never guessed there was a thing wrong with it. very nice!

karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 1:11pm
post #14 of 17

It is absolutely wonderful; we are our own worst critics, and as I've read here many times, it's not just how good you are, but how well you hide the "mistakes". Or, as I like to call them, "happy accidents". Great job!!

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 1:15pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliruthy

It seemed as though I needed to cut it and stretch it around b/c of the folds---like there was too much and nowhere to put it........was i supposed to cut it?

I'm a fondant newbie but it does seem to make a difference in the end results for me if I get the fondant on the cake, cut off the biggest amount of excess (I don't cut close to the cake yet) then start lifting the fondant and smoothing it down on the sides, just a little place at a time until I have made it all the way around the cake. Then once it is smooth to the bottom of the cake you can use a knife to go around the cake and cut the excess off. For a tier with the board the same size some people have said they like to put the tier on a coffee or crisco can so they can really get to the bottom of the cake.

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 4:45pm
post #16 of 17

you just need to practice. dont stop now.icon_smile.gif hone your craft.icon_wink.gif

spottydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spottydog Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 5:09pm
post #17 of 17

you did an excellent job arranging the flowers. I seem to have a "back end" on my cakes alot.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%