Kitchenaid Stand Mixer

Decorating By daltonam Updated 15 May 2007 , 5:23pm by daltonam

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 14 May 2007 , 1:44am
post #1 of 20

Which KITCHEN AID STAND MIXER would you get or do you have. My husband & kids bought me one for Mother's Day, but now he's concerned about the Artisan model not having all metal gears. Sam's Club has a Professional HD model, but i can't find out anything about it at Kitchenaid.com. (also how loud is the HD model??)

So again, what KA does everyone have & had much bc do you mix at a time icon_smile.gif

THANKS!!!!

19 replies
Rosie_from_MD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie_from_MD Posted 14 May 2007 , 1:52am
post #2 of 20

I have the KA Professional 6. I can mix 3 box mixes at one time. I don't know about metal gears or anything, but it works great for me!

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 14 May 2007 , 1:55am
post #3 of 20

I've had a 5 qt KA for years but just this month bought a Pro 600. It's a lot more powerful and has a 6 qt bowl. I love it already. I can mix three mixes in it easily and I've done the super enhanced cake mix recipe in it too. I used them both for my last cake order and it sure was nice. I don't know what you mean by a HD model.

rcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcs Posted 14 May 2007 , 1:58am
post #4 of 20

I have the KA 4.5. It's over 20 years old and going strong!!

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 14 May 2007 , 2:02am
post #5 of 20

I also have the Pro 600 and love it!!! It makes big batches of everything and has lots of power. I ordered it from QVC.

daltonam Posted 14 May 2007 , 2:08am
post #6 of 20

CarolAnn-

i just wonder if that HD meant Heavy Duty or something--but like i said it's at Sam's & not on KA's website so hmmm, i don't know anything about it either--thanks everyone...do you mind my asking how much you paid????

cakeislove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeislove Posted 14 May 2007 , 2:09am
post #7 of 20

My Artisan is 5 years old and I've never had a problem with it. thumbs_up.gif

idoweddingcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idoweddingcookies Posted 14 May 2007 , 2:12am
post #8 of 20

I have the KA HD one from Costco (same as the one for Sam's Club)
It works great it's 475watt. Kitchenaid doesn't have anything on the website about either one of these as they are made excuselvy for Sams and Costco.
I just bought a refurbished KA Pro 600 and just took it out of the box... can hardly wait to use it
But the one you can get at Costco or Sams is better than the Aritsan in my opinion..
HTH

daltonam Posted 14 May 2007 , 2:15am
post #9 of 20

ido--thanks, that explains my not being able to find any info, next question--what made you get the Pro 600 instead of another HD--the price is $100.00 difference for me

thanks

Ohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ohara Posted 14 May 2007 , 2:33am
post #10 of 20

Tara....This is the description of the KA HD mixer on the sam's club web site.

# Professional HD 5 qt. mixer
# Potent 475 watt motor
# 10 speeds
# Direct Drive transmission, all steel gears, all medal construction
# PowerKnead Spiral Dough Hook
# Wire whip
# Flat beater
# Multipurpose attachment hub with hinged hub cover
# Unique mixing action
# Dimensions: 16.5"H x 11.3"W x 14.6"D

I have the KA pro 600. I do love it, and it is loud. However it's powerful and it mixes a large quanitity.
HTH.

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 14 May 2007 , 2:35am
post #11 of 20

The Pro 6 is very loud. My friends have a small Artisan and it makes no noise in comparison to the Pro.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 14 May 2007 , 3:38am
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by idoweddingcookies

I have the KA HD one from Costco (same as the one for Sam's Club)
It works great it's 475watt. Kitchenaid doesn't have anything on the website about either one of these as they are made excuselvy for Sams and Costco.

I just got the KA Heavy Duty (flour power 9 cups) for my birthday, and it's quieter than my SIL's Pro 5 that I was using. It was bought at Kohl's.

idoweddingcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idoweddingcookies Posted 14 May 2007 , 5:04am
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by daltonam

ido--thanks, that explains my not being able to find any info, next question--what made you get the Pro 600 instead of another HD--the price is $100.00 difference for me

thanks

I got the KA 600 because up here in Canada they are around $800.00, and the refurbished (which looks brand new, thinking it was a return) cost me $239US.. The Costco one up here was $399.00. So it was a real deal for me.
I wanted two because I wanted one for icing and one for mixing the cakes and be able to do alot at the same time. I ordered 4 extra bowls as well for $19.00 each.. up here they are $58 each.. another deal!!

laweymers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laweymers Posted 14 May 2007 , 10:55am
post #14 of 20

I have (or had) a professional 5 qt 450 watt and have loved it for a really long time.......but I broke it recently and need to find someplace to get it repaired. In the mean time, I bought the Pro 600 and I love it too. The first time I used it, I thought it was broken because when you turn it on it has a delay.....you need to slide the knob to the "stir" first then increase the speed. My 5 qt pro wasn't like that. Price can always be a factor. The pro 600 cost about $400 at Kohls when I got it on sale. Have fun making your decision......they last a LONG time when taken care of so choose wisely!

jeffer01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeffer01 Posted 14 May 2007 , 11:05am
post #15 of 20

Love my KA!!!! I have the Professional 5 and use it ALL the time and have never had a problem! Got it at Kohl's during a Christmas sale, stood in line for 2 hours to get it half price!!!! Well worth the wait!!!! icon_razz.gif

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 14 May 2007 , 11:16am
post #16 of 20

Have the KA 4.5 qt, have used it for more than 20 years, no problems. Just bought a DeLonghi 7.5 lts., love them both.

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 14 May 2007 , 12:06pm
post #17 of 20

Well, I guess I'm in the minority here because I hate my 4.5 qt KA! It's very heavy and noisy, and I have more mess to clean up afterward than any other mixer I've ever used. I had a Sunbeam previously, which I loved ~ but they aren't as heavy duty and don't come with the larger bowl sizes I need.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 14 May 2007 , 1:13pm
post #18 of 20

I have a 600 that I've had for about a month and I love it, my 4 year old thinks it's his though. icon_rolleyes.gif I had a 4.5 quart for about 7 years but I worked it hard.
If you're looking for the metal gears the KA website has the comparison chart and you can find which has them. I used that feature to talk my husband into the larger mixer. icon_twisted.gif

msmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmith Posted 14 May 2007 , 1:22pm
post #19 of 20

I just got a 4.5 kitchenaide last week. It was in the paper for $75. YAY! No scratches or anything! I love it. When I was making butter cream in it...I threw a dish towel over it when I added the powdered sugar...to keep the mess in the bowl! It was awesome!

Yeah - it's heavy...but I leave it out on the counter - so I'm not lugging it around!

daltonam Posted 15 May 2007 , 5:23pm
post #20 of 20

thanks everyone--the decision has been made for me--due to the fact that my DD was sick yesterday & i have to work all day today & coach t-ball games tonight, i won't have time to take back this one & get the other one from Sam's...plus DH told me last night that he wrote a check for it, so i bet there would be a wait of 7-10 days on that &&&&& i have 2 cakes due this weekend (never had 2 at one time) & it's just worth it to have a KA so i don't have to mix ALL that bc with a hand mixer--my arms get sooooo tired

again, thanks!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%