Heating Core Substitution?

Decorating By Jessmar Updated 14 May 2007 , 3:08am by indydebi

Jessmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessmar Posted 13 May 2007 , 4:02pm
post #1 of 11

I usually use flower nails as heating cores for my larger cakes, but I don't have them with me (or a real heating core) and was wondering if anything else would work... Has anyone tried cookie cutters? Would that even work? Or do any of you have any other ideas / suggestions? Thanks in advance for any tips!

10 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 13 May 2007 , 4:05pm
post #2 of 11

What size pan are you wanting to use? I have used the 10 AND 12" round without the core, and a 12x18 rectangle without it, and they have baked up just fine.

Jessmar Posted 13 May 2007 , 4:14pm
post #3 of 11

I'm baking 8", 12", and 16" square cakes. I know the 8" is fine without a core. Maybe the 12" would be okay but mostly I'm worried about the 16" square.

Jessmar Posted 13 May 2007 , 5:02pm
post #4 of 11

I'm just bumping myself to see if anyone thinks cookie cutters might work or anything else. Thanks!

aurasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aurasmom Posted 13 May 2007 , 8:00pm
post #5 of 11

Have you tried rolling up some pieces of aluminum foil the size of a pencil and using them for a heat core. It might work. Just stick them like you would a rose nail.

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 13 May 2007 , 9:50pm
post #6 of 11

I once used the large icing decorator tip after my dh chewed up my flower nail in the disposal, right in the middle of my baking spree. icon_redface.gif I just coated it in cake release and popped it in there! Worked just fine.

Jessmar Posted 13 May 2007 , 9:55pm
post #7 of 11

That sounds like a good idea! Maybe I will try that some time. I started baking before I saw your post, so I ended up using strawberry haulers that I bent to 90 degree angles and it worked great! And, no harm done, I just bent them right back into shape when I was done. And they slid right out of the cake so you can hardly tell where they were placed!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 May 2007 , 2:43am
post #8 of 11

I've never used heating cores or flower nails.... not even in my 16" round or my 14x22 sheet. Baking strips and reduce oven to 325. Grease-only and do not flour the pans.

no problems.

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 14 May 2007 , 2:56am
post #9 of 11

When I first heard about "heating cores" I didn't have a rose nail or the heating core you can get from Wilton.
I did use a piece of foil rolled up like a cigar and stuck that in the middle of the cake I was doing (a round ball shaped cake for the turkey cake in my pics) It worked just great. And another nice thing about it is that it leaves such a small hole too.

aidee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aidee Posted 14 May 2007 , 3:04am
post #10 of 11

Indydebi,
for how long do you bake?
16" round
16" square
14x22 sheet

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 May 2007 , 3:08am
post #11 of 11

I set the timer for 40 minutes, then check it every 10 minutes until done. If I had to guess, I say allocate at least 50-60 minutes on the larger ones. If your oven does uneven baking, you might rotate the pan halfway thru.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%