Answers To Some Questions About My Pricess Crown

Decorating By missyek Updated 6 Apr 2008 , 4:17am by luna13

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 2:26pm
post #1 of 11

Thank you, Omicake for pointing out that I overlooked some questions... icon_redface.gif I answered one, but I missed the others. Sorry! I also thought it easier to answer it in a post. So, answers to questions about the princess crown in my photo area.

Okay, The crown was made from gumpaste. Royal was used to glue the couple of pieces that broke off, but luckily that can't be seen. icon_wink.gif I used my sugarcraft clay gun to make most of the pieces. For the base of the crown, I used the large half circle disc and placed the flat side down. The hearts and scrolls were made just using one of the circle discs--I used a couple different sizes depending on how small the detail was. The little thingys on top of some of the hearts (what are those called anyway icon_confused.gificon_lol.gif ) were made buy just taking a small ball of gumpaste and forming it into a teardrop shape. Then fondant pearls were glued on with royal. So, I taped my pattern to my 6lb. tub of crisco (which pretty much that is all it is good for now! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif ) I then placed a piece of wax paper over the crown pattern and lightly dusted it with cornstarch. The can was then placed on its side--don't let it roll off the table! LOL To prevent the rolling, I placed the top and bottom edges of the cans on a couple of pieces of thick foam. This also enabled the center of the can to be off the surface and I could almost wrap the crown all the way around. I then started with placing the base of the crown down. I then added the center heart and a the scrolls on either side. Just attached the pieces with water. I let that set for a little bit. then I carefully turned the can to one side so that I could work on the sides of the crown. Pretty much doing small amounts at a time so that protions could dry and not flop every where. Once I got the whole crown done, I carefully removed the tape from the wax papaer and slip it off the can. Then carefully removed the wax paper from the crown. I then added those thingys on top of the hearts. After those dried, I painted on about 3-4 coats of clear gold pixie dust (got it from Cakes By Sam), by mixing it with vodka. Once that was dried I added the pearls.

Now, part of my base kept breaking, so I painted on a couple of layers of a semi thinned down royal. Once it was dry, I painted on more of the pixie dust. But that took longer to dry--which took me a couple of times to figure out icon_cry.gif.

As for my pattern, I really have no clue what I did with it--in the cleaning frenzy of my kitchen at that time, it could have accidently been tossed icon_sad.gif . I just drew it free hand uing hearts and scrolls. I know my drawing was more detailed, but I just could not achieve it once I started putting stuff together.

Thanks everyone for the wonderful comments about it. My daughter loved it and still wants to wear it! icon_lol.gif

10 replies
imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 4:38pm
post #2 of 11

whoa those are a lot of instructions! Thanks for sharing! icon_smile.gif

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 5:09pm
post #3 of 11

thank you for posting this!! i think i must have missed that picture or don't remember it. either way, i looked at your pics and see the one you are referring too. i'm happy i came into this post!! Cause i've been thinking of doing something similar. I want to do just the pillow and the crown/tiara. I'm going for the princess look/theme. This has also been the easiest looking tiara for me to make, since i'm not very experienced.
Would you mind if i used your idea??
thanks!
Kat

missyek Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 3:06am
post #4 of 11

Talk about missed, how the heck did I miss your replies?!?! icon_redface.gif

Go ahead and use away! thumbs_up.gif

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 3:09am
post #5 of 11

I love the crown...might have to make it for my neices birthday in Nov.

Terrisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Terrisa Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 3:28am
post #6 of 11

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING THIS!
Excellent instructions and how to avoid mishaps too... I always feel better about doing a project when I can learn from others experiences.
I'm going to be making a tiara for my niece's birthday and all that info will come in extremely handy! thumbs_up.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 4:00am
post #7 of 11

This is one of those things that makes me wish I had a girl to bake for. Sadly I'm surrounded by boys. icon_sad.gif

Beautiful work and great instructions!

itsasweetthing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsasweetthing Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 4:57pm
post #8 of 11

Hi again,
Okay, I bought a clay gun, and I am going to try to do this.
You say in your instructions that you just stick it with water.
Does that do it? or do you later add royal icing?
How long do you leave it to dry, a couple days?
Do you use a fondant/gumpaste mix or straight gumpaste?

Thanks,
Carolyn

missyek Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 5:33pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsasweetthing

Hi again,
Okay, I bought a clay gun, and I am going to try to do this.
You say in your instructions that you just stick it with water.
Does that do it? or do you later add royal icing?
How long do you leave it to dry, a couple days?
Do you use a fondant/gumpaste mix or straight gumpaste?

Thanks,
Carolyn

Hey Carolyn!

Yup, you can use just water to adhere the soft pieces of gum paste togther. You can also use gum glue or royal. I only used the royal to glue the broken pieces together and to glue the pearls on. I left it for a just over a day to dry--the pieces were pretty thin, so it did not take to long. To be sure I would go a couple of days. I used straight gum paste--dires harder and faster than a mixture.

Hope that helps! icon_biggrin.gif

itsasweetthing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsasweetthing Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 7:26pm
post #10 of 11

Okay, Thanks Missy.
I'll let you know how it goes.....

luna13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luna13 Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 4:17am
post #11 of 11

Thank you so very much. I'm going to practice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%