What Exactly Is A Cupcake Cake?....

Decorating By cakaddict Updated 13 May 2007 , 3:42am by Smoochiefrog

cakaddict Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakaddict Posted 13 May 2007 , 3:13am
post #1 of 10

I saw two pictures of cupcake cakes, but still don't understand how it's made.... icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

Can you show me other pictures?

Sorry to ask lol, it is very new for me... icon_rolleyes.gif

Cakaddict

9 replies
miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 13 May 2007 , 3:16am
post #2 of 10

Instead of using a regular cake, you use cupcakes placed next to each other as the cake base. They are iced and decorated as if they are 1 cake.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakaddict Posted 13 May 2007 , 3:29am
post #4 of 10

OMG! But how in the world can we make the icing so smooth without showing the cupcakes shape? Putting a lllloooootttt of icing??

Thank you

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 13 May 2007 , 3:34am
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakaddict

OMG! But how in the world can we make the icing so smooth without showing the cupcakes shape? Putting a lllloooootttt of icing??

Thank you

if tops are relatively flat (can even under fill the liners) then actually very easy to get flat surface.

last one I made, just did two passes w/ the icing tip (second pass at right angles to the first) and then just smoothed.

heidisuesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heidisuesmom Posted 13 May 2007 , 3:35am
post #6 of 10

Only fill your cupcakes so when they bake they are level with the top of the paper liners. You don't really want a dome on them. Other than that, it really isn't any different then icing a cake. I did one in April and thought it would be hard, but it was very easy!! I say Go for it!

heidisuesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heidisuesmom Posted 13 May 2007 , 3:37am
post #7 of 10

Yeah, what Doug said!! I guess I was typing the same time as he was!!

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 13 May 2007 , 3:37am
post #8 of 10

Just remember to seal the cupcakes to the board with icing. And then if you have one use an icer tip (wilton 789). It helps keep the icing more level and its easier to smooth out.

cakaddict Posted 13 May 2007 , 3:38am
post #9 of 10

Thank you so much! I think I'm ready for my first cupcake cake now!!!

Smoochiefrog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smoochiefrog Posted 13 May 2007 , 3:42am
post #10 of 10

Not really any more icing than you would use on a regular cake. I smooth the icing on cupcake cakes the same way as I do on normal cakes. I use the Viva paper towel/fondant smoother method.

In my pictures I have a few cupcake cakes. The pink My Little Pony cake is one that you do NOT want your cake to look like. I just lined the cupcakes up and when I iced them I got lots of little "pock" marks where HUGE blobs of icing fell into the gaps between the cupcakes. Our resident angel Doug pointed me in the direction of that tutorial he posted for you and I learned I needed to stagger the cupcakes. I tried again and the HB rainbow cake and the wreath were done "correctly".

Cupcake cakes are the BEST for children's birthday parties and for schools! I actually look forward to doing more in the future.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%