My New Customer From Walmart Bakery

Decorating By melodyscakes Updated 13 Jun 2006 , 12:05pm by subaru

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 5:53am
post #1 of 26

i got a new customer, while i was at walmart by the bakery!! i was waiting on some chicken from the deli, and a lady asked if the bakery could put her childs name on a cake. the walmart worker said she could not because she worked in the deli and not the bakery...(they are together) and she could not write the little girls name on the cake. the lady looked so sad! i approached her and asked her when her childs party was, she said tomorrow morning. i happened to have my portfolio with me,and showed her my work...well she put the walmart cake back and ordered a cake from me....thats why i'm up so late...this happed at 8:00 pm and cake is due when she gets off her shift in the morning at 7:00 am. good thing for fbt!!

just wanted to share with you!
melody

25 replies
Helendelk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Helendelk Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 5:56am
post #2 of 26

Awww thats great! Little-guys taking from the BIG-GUys now.. woohoo I love it! Since they love putting so many people out of business nice to know someone took their business... thumbs_up.gif Make sure and give her cards I bet she will spread the WORD!!! icon_wink.gif

aliciaL_77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciaL_77 Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 5:56am
post #3 of 26

yay! good job!

bush1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bush1 Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 5:57am
post #4 of 26

Good job on getting the customer. You should wow her and I bet it'll generate tons of orders. Good luck. Post asap!!!!

pinkopossum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkopossum Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 12:32pm
post #5 of 26

good for YOU!!

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 12:36pm
post #6 of 26

I have done the same thing. It does make you feel good. I always carry a pic or two of my favorite cakes. Just added my Mermaidia cake to that because someone is usually looking for a Barbie or mermaid cake.

Monica0271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica0271 Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 12:36pm
post #7 of 26

wow just reading your post gave me chills! I am so proud of you! I hope this generates TONS of business for ya!! thumbs_up.gif

cindww Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindww Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 12:52pm
post #8 of 26

You rock!!! You should be really proud of yourself for jumping in there..I hope you get lots of new business and post the cake when you've finished so we can see.
Cindy

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 12:56pm
post #9 of 26

Way to go! Maybe I should carry a portfolio around with me....

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 1:29pm
post #10 of 26

Wow! That's exciting! That lady will be much happier with one of your creations than a WalMart cake!! Good going!

bodaisy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bodaisy Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 1:33pm
post #11 of 26

Congratulations.....It'll be worth staying up all night to get the order done and in her hands.. Be sure to post the pic when your done..

btw. that's a good idea about carrying photos on you...

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 2:07pm
post #12 of 26

Way to go!! I have done that also!!!

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 4:18pm
post #13 of 26

That's great. I think we all need to go hang around bakeries such as Walmart, Publix, etc so we can get more orders.

I may do that today just to see what happens. icon_biggrin.gif

queenmama77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
queenmama77 Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 6:01pm
post #14 of 26

That's fantastic! I have a particular dislike of WM, so if you can take some of the business back from them, all the better!

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 6:10pm
post #15 of 26

Congratulations! I'm happy for you and even more happy for the child who will be getting a great quality cake with his/her name on it! Great job and also a reminder to me to always have cake pics with me! thanks.

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 10:35pm
post #16 of 26

thanks guys! the mother loved the cake! i hope to get new business.

and it was worth missing sleep to make some little girls birthday even more special.

melody

mhill91801 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mhill91801 Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 10:43pm
post #17 of 26

WAY TO GO!!! That is great! Good for you!! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 10:48pm
post #18 of 26

That's terrific! You were in the right place at the right time!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 10:54pm
post #19 of 26

That's too funny! David slew Goliath again! Gee, I hope you started a trend, and that it spreads like a virus! Imagine, all those Wal-Mart shoppers turning back to independent bakers and bakeries! Everything old really Would be new again! Congratulations - big time!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

dtmc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dtmc Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 10:55pm
post #20 of 26

Good for you!

What type of portfolio do you carry with you?

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 2:16am
post #21 of 26

I love the idea of carrying a portfolio with me. What kind do you carry? How many pictures? It fits in your purse? What a great way to drum up business!

And I love that you took a sale from Wal-Mart. LOL Don't get me started on my dislike for Wal-Mart!

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 2:19am
post #22 of 26

Congratulations!!! that's terrific, I'm sure it'll bring you more business!!!

Lorris

i_love_icing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
i_love_icing Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 3:58am
post #23 of 26

Congratulations! What a great thing to happen for everyone involved. I admire your assertiveness.

Annalisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annalisa Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 4:07am
post #24 of 26

How fantastic for you. My nephew wants a Thomas the Tank Engine 3D cake that he saw in a Debbie Brown book, however I don't have the time to make it up so I went to three cake shops to see if they can do it and the cheapest quote was $200.00 and the most expensive was $350.00 (for a cake that serves 30) . One of the bigger chain of cake stores just looked at it and said they don't do this type of work but I could settle for a printed image istead. Anyway my point we do fanstastic work and you cannot compare our work to the larger chains and I think it is sad that they dominate the selling market and let us settle for what they have available. Any way my opnion

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 11:41am
post #25 of 26

I carry one of those small photo books that comes with (here it comes) Walmart photos. Of course, now we do our own. Put some of my faves like 2 wedding cakes (big and small), Mermaidia cake, groom's cake, cookies (definitely the onsie cookie), volcano and surfboard cake.

That way I can everyone something. And I always have a card or two in my purse--in fact, it's time to reorder. Who would have thought in less than a year that I would hand out 1000 cards?

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 12:05pm
post #26 of 26

Way to go!!!! I love a story like that, where the underdog comes out on top!
I'm sure the mom is glad she ran into you, your cake was sooooooooo much better than an ol' store bought cake, and much prettier i'm sure.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%