Bc Icing

Decorating By tdun Updated 13 May 2007 , 2:22pm by indydebi

tdun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdun Posted 13 May 2007 , 2:27am
post #1 of 5

i get my icing smooth but not as smooth as i would like .I use the hot water and spatual method . PLease help.

4 replies
mizshelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mizshelli Posted 13 May 2007 , 2:34am
post #2 of 5

Melvira. Easy and simple...lol

I have also used sheet paper from my computer to smooth after it crusts.

http://cakecentral.com/article83-Quick--Easy-Smooth-Icing-Using-a-Roller-Melvira-Method.html

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 May 2007 , 4:05am
post #3 of 5

Melvira. 100%.

I've been doing cakes for over 25 years, and THIS old dog is bought and sold on Melvira's Method, which I just used for the first time about a month or so ago.

you'll never go back to any other method.

aminaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aminaz Posted 13 May 2007 , 11:19am
post #4 of 5

i'm new to cake decorating, so its probably a dumb question but what is the melvira method? how does it work? does it work with buttercream that does'nt crust? how can you get bettercream to crust without being over sweet?how can you smooth a cake with non crusting buttercream?
sorry for asking so muck but like i said i'm a newbie!!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 May 2007 , 2:22pm
post #5 of 5

http://cakecentral.com/article83-Quick--Easy-Smooth-Icing-Using-a-Roller-Melvira-Method.html

Melvira's method is on the home page ..... scrolll down. Above is the link.

Crusting is a result of the fat to sugar ratio in your recipe. The more fat, the less crusting.

Not sure how to answer your question on "how to get it to crust without making it more sweet?" You get it to crust by reducing the amount of shortening. (If I follow your logic the other way, you are assuming that adding more shortening makes it less sweet? I dont' understand the logic. icon_confused.gif ) I've seen info in here that says adding salt decreases the sweetness, but I've never added salt to my icing (I always omit the salt from my cookie recipes, too) and people tell me they like mine because it's not as sweet (which makes no sense to me because it's made of sugar, people!) icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%