Classes Available In Sydney?

Decorating By anna25 Updated 13 Jul 2006 , 5:53am by auzzi

anna25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anna25 Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 9:36pm
post #1 of 12

Hi everyone, I've been reading lots about the Wilton classes that are available in the US and Canada...would love to find something similar here in Australia (Sydney, specifically). Have done a couple of evening courses in Cake decoration but would like to find something that is more ongoing..and not just a very brief overview. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

11 replies
boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 10 Jun 2006 , 3:34pm
post #2 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by anna25

Hi everyone, I've been reading lots about the Wilton classes that are available in the US and Canada...would love to find something similar here in Australia (Sydney, specifically). Have done a couple of evening courses in Cake decoration but would like to find something that is more ongoing..and not just a very brief overview. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

Anna
There are a few options. You can find experienced cake decorator's that teach in their spare time via cake decorating associations. Here's a place to start
http://www.cakedecoratorsguildnsw.org.au/noflash/index.asp?pagename=/noflash/qanda/qanda.asp
Becoming a member is the best way to meet fellow cake decorator's and to find out who is teaching. The CDAV has workshops every two months, they have been very helpful for me, I have never attended anything in NSW but i can't imagine they'd be very different.
cheers
Nati

anna25 Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 12:48am
post #3 of 12

Nati,

Thank you so much for that information, will get in touch with them and see how I go from there!

Anna

socake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
socake Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 2:36am
post #4 of 12

Hi Anna,

I am in Sydney as well, there realy isn't much available in Sydney, I learn't more from books that I borrowed from the library than i did in class.

If you do find somewhere that teaches how to decorate with buttercream I would be interested in doing that class (I'm in the Sutherland shire).

I'm happy to help you out if there is something from one of my cakes that you would like to try!

anna25 Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 3:24am
post #5 of 12

Thank you socake! Have just sent you a pm. Anna

socake Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 12:51pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by anna25

Thank you socake! Have just sent you a pm. Anna

Anna, I didn't receive the PM???

kalatzp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kalatzp Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 6:36am
post #7 of 12

Anna
Can you also let me know what you found out in regards to cake classes?
Thanks

franjmc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
franjmc Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 7:17am
post #8 of 12

If I was in Sydney I would head straight to PlanetCake, I think they're in Balmain.

They have FANTASTIC designs, and they do classes on all sorts of things from cake sculpting to modelling.

Their website is
www.planetcake.com.au

As far as buttercream classes go Sandra(Socake), I have been fairly disapointed with my experience as has Nati and Min when they did a buttercream class her last ter, we're all in Melbourne.

Mine was good in that I was a complete beginner and learnt how to do a few things, but I probably would've learnt more spending a day with my friends than the whole 5 weeks of classes.

socake Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 8:10am
post #9 of 12

Thanks Fran!

I guess I am just going to have to do a bit more reading up on butter cream techniques before I try it again! Is there a particular tool that you would recomend as a "must have" for getting a smooth finnish and sharp edges?

franjmc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
franjmc Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 8:25am
post #10 of 12

Sandra, an offset spatula is invaluable, I have about 5 or 6 of them in different sizes and you can smooth the burrercream really well with them, but just dipping the spatula in hot water and then smoothing the sides.

Also a turntable is great, because it means you can turn the cake easily with one hand while you smooth with your spatula in the other.

Ishynooshy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ishynooshy Posted 11 Jul 2006 , 4:36am
post #11 of 12

I live in the Auburn area and found there are some classes at the Bankstown Community College. I wanna have a go but don't know if they are any good

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 5:53am
post #12 of 12

Bakery Sugarcraft
Wilton Suppliers and Showroom
198 Newton Road, Wetherill Park, NSW, 2164
Australia
Phone - 9756-6164
Email: www.bakerysugarcraft.com.au

Last time I enquired there was no Wilton Classes available [no instructors known] They sell the handbooks -Stages 1-3

Cake Decorating Central
89 Phoenix Avenue
Stanhope Gardens NSW 2768
Phone - 9836 0677
Email: www.cakedecoratingcentral.com.au

Classes available.

Try
1. community colleges
2. TAFE [sometimes]
3. Spotlight has classes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%