White Almond Sour Cream Scratch Recipe Please

Baking By butamilk Updated 28 May 2007 , 8:45pm by JanH

butamilk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butamilk Posted 12 May 2007 , 8:51am
post #1 of 13

Howdy,

Would anyone have a scratch recipe for the WASC (did I get that right?) cake. I've looked around the forums and it seems to the white cake that is raved about.

I only ask for a scratch version, as I'm in Sydney, Australia and I wouldn't have a clue as to what brand mixes I should be using. (don't get me started on crisco he he..)

Thanks in advance

B'milk

12 replies
Ishynooshy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ishynooshy Posted 12 May 2007 , 11:09am
post #2 of 13

I'm in Sydney as well and would like to know too

PS. Crisco gets on my nerves as well. Can't do anything without melted buttercream dripping all over my hands.

Marvelous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marvelous Posted 12 May 2007 , 11:26am
post #3 of 13

Must it be a WASC from scratch? I'm an Aussie caker myself and i've always used the recipe on this website. The link is below...the only thing you need to know is one box of american cake mix is about 510grams.

http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2322-0-White-Almond-Sour-Cream-Cake.html

Its a yummy cake, works great and i've had no problems with it.

Enjoy! icon_biggrin.gif

Oh and by the way. Any brand of vanilla cake mix will do. I've used White wings right down to savings brand!! Its all been very tasty. Just get the measurements right and you should be fine.

martyz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
martyz Posted 14 May 2007 , 5:32am
post #4 of 13

Can I ask a really dumb question.... icon_redface.gif can you taste much of the almond in the WASC...I'm not really sure I'd be a fan...can you substitute it for something else, maybe vanilla, or another flavour? I've seen people subtituting coffee flavour things, is that instead of the almond?

Marvelous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marvelous Posted 14 May 2007 , 5:49am
post #5 of 13

Me again! You can substitute the almond flavour for anything really. I'm guessing its the texture and moisture factor of this cake that makes it so popular not the almond flavour. I don't like almond ( At all really...) So i use vanilla in my WASC. It won't change anything about the cake except the taste! thumbs_up.gif

neni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neni Posted 14 May 2007 , 5:50am
post #6 of 13

Martyz
You can use any flavoring you like. The coffee creamer adds more flavor to it and is used by replacing some of the liquid with liquid coffee creamer, if you have the powdered variety you just add about 2 TBS. of powder to you dry ingredients.

butamilk Posted 18 May 2007 , 6:45am
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishynooshy

PS. Crisco gets on my nerves as well. Can't do anything without melted buttercream dripping all over my hands.

OMG tell me about it

butamilk Posted 18 May 2007 , 6:52am
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelous

Must it be a WASC from scratch? I'm an Aussie caker myself and i've always used the recipe on this website. The link is below...the only thing you need to know is one box of american cake mix is about 510grams.

For some bizarre reason I cannot bake a box mix cake (or sponges for that matter)to save my life, turns out too dry, or soft or rubbery?!?!? I think it's just me,perhaps I need to take the time and actually practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelous

Oh and by the way. Any brand of vanilla cake mix will do. I've used White wings right down to savings brand!! Its all been very tasty. Just get the measurements right and you should be fine.

Cool bananas,I'm going to give a try this weekend icon_smile.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 18 May 2007 , 4:31pm
post #9 of 13

Here's a previous thread on WASC cake from scratch:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-132261-.html

Above thread also has link which gives weight of most American cake mixes, as well as scratch recipes.

HTH

butamilk Posted 18 May 2007 , 11:46pm
post #10 of 13

Hey JanH

After reading all the recipes on that link I just realised that I used to make a coconut sour cream weekly for evening church!

I guess I'll just not add coconut ! Perhaps almond meal instead of the coconut

JanH Posted 19 May 2007 , 3:14am
post #11 of 13

butamilk, Glad it worked out for you. icon_smile.gif

candiricole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candiricole Posted 28 May 2007 , 7:46am
post #12 of 13

I used butter flavor and vanilla due to a friend who is allergic to almonds,it turned out really well.

JanH Posted 28 May 2007 , 8:45pm
post #13 of 13

Hi and Welcome, candiricole. icon_smile.gif

Here's a list of CC acronyms:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926-.html

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%