Do You Own The Icing Sculptor Set?

Decorating By mbalis Updated 21 Oct 2006 , 5:39am by pookster

mbalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbalis Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 6:13pm
post #1 of 32

I just got mine because I really like that combed look on cake sides. I assume I need a lot of icing on the sides in order to comb properly....do you have any suggestions for use. Do I partially smooth it first, etc?

thanks!

31 replies
imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 6:17pm
post #2 of 32

I have the hardest time with that thing! The little "disks" with the different designs don't want to stay in that little white holder - they're always popping out! Also, yeah, you DO have to have a LOT of icing on the sides - you take most of it off w/ the comb. I've also found that I can't just come around the whole cake - you have to come a little, wipe off the icing, comb a little more. I'm thinking there's got to be an easier way w/ the little triangle comb or something - not as many design choices, but at least it all stays together & doesn't fall apart! It's probably easier to clean too..... and cheaper......

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 6:22pm
post #3 of 32

I sure hope that you have more luck with the sculptor than I did. But a word of advice, KEEP your receipt. I purchased one some time back and the pieces just kept falling out and it wouldn't work properly. I lost my receipt and couldn't take it back so I contacted Wilton directly about the problem. They apologised for the problem and sent me out another sculptor free of charge. Now I have two sculptors that don't work icon_eek.gif Good luck with yours.
Margie

DeniseMarlaine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseMarlaine Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 6:27pm
post #4 of 32

I don't use mine anymore either. Another tip for combing cakes that I just discovered here: comb BEFORE the icing crusts. I don't know why I didn't think of this but (DUH!) it does make sense. Now I'm wondering if part of the problem I had with the Wilton comb was due to lumps created by crusted icing.

mbalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbalis Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 7:05pm
post #5 of 32

I keep all my receipts lol. I will start with lots of icing...yeah the little things are so short...seems I will be scraping , continuing again and so on. I can hardly get them into the holder so far, really a tight fit. Maybe the holder gets worn out? Hope not.

Thanks for the responses!

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 7:13pm
post #6 of 32

The situation that I had with mine and many others had with their sculptors is that the pegs just kept coming loose. You'd be trying to sculpt and the darned pegs would come loose and turn sideways. Maybe you got one where the pegs fit tightly and you won't have a problem. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you....
Margie

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 7:35pm
post #7 of 32

We should find out if Wilton has ANYONE that has success w/ those things - if not, they should take them off the market (and refund everyone's money!) - Well at least they should take them off the market. I don't think it's right to sell a product that's defective - and so far I haven't heard of anyone using this successfully!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 7:41pm
post #8 of 32

I don't own one of these, but I have heard that if you add something to it before you close it up, like a paper towel it will help hold the pieces in place.

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 9:27pm
post #9 of 32

Mine was just thrown out along with some other Wilton Junk. Can't say all their stuff is junk but a lot is.

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 1:00pm
post #10 of 32

hmmm... I just picked this up last week and haven't opened the box, maybe I'll return it and not deal with the hassle.

Are there other tools that make those nice combed sides besides that triangle? I LOVE the look of the combed sides.

Melissa

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 1:03pm
post #11 of 32

There have been several negative comments about this set, I haven't heard of anybody who likes it, so be glad you keep receipts.

I have the triangle comb, and don't particularly even like that, but you definitely have to have thick icing. Janice

musicmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
musicmommy Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 1:09pm
post #12 of 32

THE SOLUTION - put the shelf liner that a lot of people use on there turn tables to keep the cake from sliding and put it in the holder and the pieces will stay in and it works MUCH better

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 1:10pm
post #13 of 32

Sorry....but I hate the darn thing..I couldn't get it to work,all the pieces kept falling out so I chucked it!!!

jtb94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtb94 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 1:15pm
post #14 of 32

I have one but I have never used it. Sometimes I plan on using it but I never have my icing thick enough.

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 1:18pm
post #15 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys

Are there other tools that make those nice combed sides besides that triangle? I LOVE the look of the combed sides.

Melissa

Walk down the asiles of Home Depot or Lowe's with an open mind and ask your self "How can I repurpose this to work with cakes?"

amodeoandrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amodeoandrea Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 1:22pm
post #16 of 32

I have one of the triangles, and I haven't been able to master that yet!!! I'm sure it's like everything else, it just takes practice. I'm glad I didn't spend the money on that set.

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 1:31pm
post #17 of 32

I had one of those sculptors. It seemed like such a good idea but I never got it to work properly. Plus it was a pain to put together and to store. So now I use icing combs.

emilykakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilykakes Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 3:45pm
post #18 of 32

I have the Ateco comb and I like it alot. You get a really nice crisp look with it.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 8:33pm
post #19 of 32

Don't like the triangle either....can't get icing thick enough for each of the teeth to comb through the icing...and yes I made sure my cake was level..top and sides lol

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 8:42pm
post #20 of 32

I have the icing sculptor set and have yet to get it to work. Same issues as everyone else, so I am thinking I will try the rubber grip foam stuff to hold the pieces it. I was thinking paper towel or something until I read that part about the shelf liner. Good call musicmommy! I'm going to give it a go sometime really soon here and see what happens!

mthiberge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mthiberge Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 8:46pm
post #21 of 32

I LOVE my triangle it never fails me, I need to get a metal bench scraper for the smooth sided cakes. My mom bought me the sculpting set but I haven't used it yet and after reading this thread I can't say that I'm overly excited to try it out anymore...bugger

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 5:42am
post #22 of 32

Don't like mine either. The hardware stores have some square combs in the paint dept, I think its for spackle. Anyway they have 4 different designs on the comb, with no moveable parts.

mxpark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mxpark Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 5:47am
post #23 of 32

i've had that sculptor for sooo long and have yet to use it. no receipt either......poo. oh well....i bought it before i found cc.

Chef_Mommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Mommy Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 1:30pm
post #24 of 32

....And I thought I was the only one who hated this little monster gadget.
I took it right back to the store. I was so frustrated with that thing all the pieces kept falling out and when I did get them to stay in I couldn't get a clean look on the cake like the box and magazine showed

Jackie

mlynnb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlynnb Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 1:35pm
post #25 of 32

For me, the icing sculptor is the worst cake decorating item I have ever bought! Complete waste of money, couldn't get the darn thing to work! thumbsdown.gif

rustidog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rustidog Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 3:51pm
post #26 of 32

I do not own a set of this sculptor but a friend of mine who does says:

1) ice the sides thickly.
2) leave the cake in the fridge (preferably overnight) for the cream to 'harden'
3) use the sculptor to make the designs.

She has no problems with it.

Not sure if it really works. You may want to give it a try before junking it.

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 4:06pm
post #27 of 32

Oh yeah! I bought the sculptor set a year or so ago and in just playing with it right out of the box, I knew the thing was going to irk me!!! icon_mad.gif I have yet to try it on a cake. It would definately have to be a practice cake even with the foamy shelf liner piece. This icing sculptor set and their tilting turn table are the two worst pieces of decorating equipment I have ever seen. The price they charge for the tilting turntable is OUTRAGEOUS! If anyone uses the sculptor set with the foam piece first please post back here how it works!!! I just use my metal pastry scraper/dough cutter to smooth my sides and give them sharp edges!!!!!

Amy

LukeRubyJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LukeRubyJoy Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 3:29am
post #28 of 32

I'm glad I only got suckered into the tilting turn table! Too bad though, the scuptor is cheaper! I also have trouble with my triangle (only a $1), but I think I don't use enough icing (too much, bleck! too sweet!!)

The picture makes it look so easy! In the 2006 yearbook it says that it has a "patent pending". Maybe it won't get it because the design needs some work!!!

moejoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moejoe Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 3:44am
post #29 of 32

With the icing sculptor you have to put in the little silver pieces. They will hold in all the pieces so they wont fall out. I love mine. But that is just my opinion.
Monique

pookster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pookster Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 5:20am
post #30 of 32

wow. i thoght i was the only one that had problems with the icing sculpter....i bought mine three years ago....what a hunk of junk!!! my pieces kept falling out to...not impressed!!!! the other day i bought a fondant ribbon cutter/embosser set....another piece of @$$#!!!!!!!!!!anyone else own this????

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%