midialjoje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
midialjoje Posted 12 May 2007 , 12:11am
post #1 of 16

I HATE CAKE DECORATING icon_mad.gif

15 replies
kimberlina25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimberlina25 Posted 12 May 2007 , 12:17am
post #2 of 16

is there a particular reason or just in general?

midialjoje Posted 12 May 2007 , 12:22am
post #3 of 16

can't talk about it. really bad day. just wanted to vent, but too upset to actually write it down. hopefully I'll get over it.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 12 May 2007 , 3:37am
post #4 of 16

Post and talk to us when you're ready - okay? We're here for you!

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 12 May 2007 , 4:38am
post #5 of 16

Wow, it must have been a bad one.

We'll be here waiting when you're ready.

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 12 May 2007 , 4:48am
post #6 of 16

If it's any consolation, your cakes are amazing=) Jen

VACakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VACakelady Posted 12 May 2007 , 7:38am
post #7 of 16

I feel the same way many days, I'd much rather just do the baking part and let someone else decorate.

Piamarianne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Piamarianne Posted 12 May 2007 , 7:54am
post #8 of 16

I know the feeling! I felt just like that yesterday.

But looking back on all the cakes you´ve made, makes you realized that this is just one of lifes rich tapestries icon_smile.gif

maryak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryak Posted 12 May 2007 , 8:26am
post #9 of 16

I feel like that sometimes, especially when I compare the work here on CC to my cakes! But your cakes are gorgeous. Have a cup of tea or coffee and then let it out. Like kellym said, we'll be here for you when you're ready.

Big Hugs

midialjoje Posted 13 May 2007 , 8:58pm
post #10 of 16

Ok, I am back. Thank you so much for your nice comments and support. Didn't mean to just dump that here and not explain, but it really did help, and your nice thoughts and comments were much appreciated.

The reason I was so angry/sad/upset/etc., etc., is that I had another disaster, but this time I felt completely responsible because I should have learned from my previous situation. Feel like such an idiot who has no business doing this.

I went to deliver and set up a four tiered wedding cake. I probably needed to get there a bit earlier, but felt like all was fine. I had the cake set up and was putting on the topper from the bride (groom's in the army--it was a GI carrying a bride, really cute, but ceramic, very heavy and had a fairly small base). Anyway, as I was putting it on and trying to make sure it was in enough to be secure, things just didn't feel right.

The photographer was there and I let him get a few pictures before he ran back for the ceremony. After he left, the cake just kept looking like it wasn't secure. I had to take tiers off and adjust dowels and replace three or four times. If you can picture the messed up icing and ribbon border that resulted, it was pathetic. Kept smoothing and moving, smoothing and moving. Finally, took the tier that was most unstable out all together, had them bring it to the kitchen again and left them with a 3 tier cake (that still looked completely pathetic--very NOT smooth, very messy), but nothing else I could do at that time. I couldn't even take pictures because I didn't want to ever see that cake again!

I know that we are always our own worst critics, but believe me, I'm not exaggerating. Even when my daughter heard me say it was so horrible, she couldn't dispute it--bless her heart. She was trying to make me feel so much better, but she could not even say, "Mom, it really wasn't that bad".
I went home sick to my stomach again, not able to concentrate or focus on anything. I wrote the bride an email apologizing for her cake not being up to my standards.

She called me today to ask me what I meant. She had forgotten that the cake was supposed to be 4 tiers until she got my email. She loved it and said everything was great. God is somehow smiling down on me because this never should have been such a good outcome after I messed up so badly. She said she would send me a picture.

I know I said last time that I learned from my mistakes, but I'm ordering the support system today or tomorrow and cannot expect another miracle to save me.

Sorry so long, but thank you all again for your support. You are all so incredible!!!

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 13 May 2007 , 9:21pm
post #11 of 16

Oh hon, I am so sorry. I can only say that I know exactly how you feel. But isn't it proof that we are the hardest on ourselves that the bride had no idea anything was wrong with the cake?

I had my own collapsing disaster 2 weeks ago (in my photos, top row, white with red rose petals). The wedding coordinators asked for my card because I did "such good work".

But maaaan, have I been eyeing those stress-free supports icon_smile.gif

maryak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryak Posted 13 May 2007 , 11:21pm
post #12 of 16

You are right, God is smiling down on you and always will be. That's because you are a kind-hearted, good-natured person who would'nt do something like this maliciously. Please don't be too hard on yourself, you have such a great talent and these things happen to EVERYONE!! icon_wink.gif

I wish I had half your talent! Looking forward to your next cake pic!

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 14 May 2007 , 3:27pm
post #13 of 16

I know it was painful, but it really is proof that it's not as bad as you think when the bride doesn't even know something's wrong!! You are very talented and don't ever let yourself think you shouldn't be doing this!! Making a cake secure is not an easy task!!!

jenbenjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbenjr Posted 14 May 2007 , 3:48pm
post #14 of 16

Ok.....after hearing that story I am getting scared!! I have yet to do a wedding cake but have had several ppl approach me about it and now I think I have one to do next April. I have never done anything larger than a 2 tiered cake, and I definately don't want to ruin anyone's wedding day. Can you tell me what kind of supports you were using? What does everyone use that they have success with? I am just starting this whole decorating thing and don't want to spend a ton of money on them but if I have to..... icon_confused.gif

Sunny77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunny77 Posted 14 May 2007 , 4:12pm
post #15 of 16

I'm glad you had such a sweet bride to work with, God was surely in charge of that one. I feel bad you were so upset about your cake but I am confident it will make you better for it. I don't have any cute sayings or anything but you are a true cake artist and you shouldn't ever let that go to waste, not even if you have a bunch of bad lessons hit you. Press on midialjoje, press on!! thumbs_up.gif

midialjoje Posted 14 May 2007 , 4:19pm
post #16 of 16

You all are so wonderfully supportive. Thank you so much for your kind comments. If my cakes are good it's because of all the ideas, support, experience and skills cc'rs are willing to share.

Jen--this story was not meant to scare anyone, though if you learn from it, that's great. I feel this one was my fault entirely. I used probably 5 dowel rods in the two bottom layers and 4 in the third layer up. They were thin dowels and I believe I had them too far from the edge of the cardboard of the tier above that they were supposed to support. If I do other cakes w/o the support sytem, I will have thicker dowels and will place at least 8 around a large tier, near the edge of the tier above and will have a few, probably a ring of three to four forming a smaller circle halfway to the middle of the cake. Hard to describe, hope that makes sense.

You'll do great. just learn from the experiences of others!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%