The Wonders of Hi-Ratio Shortening

Baking By Rodneyck Updated 25 Jun 2006 , 3:58am by Rodneyck

Wandootie Posted 21 Jun 2006 , 3:47pm
post #31 of 46

Ok...it can be used the same as Crisco, but my question is...when making buttercream, can I still use the butter (1 stick) with this hi-ratio shortening or will it make the buttercream more oily?


Wanda

puzzlegut Posted 21 Jun 2006 , 4:06pm
post #32 of 46

GFS is basically a warehouse store similiar to Sam's Club, except they are WAY smaller and you don't need a membership to shop there. They focus more on food items where as Sam's does a little of everything (food, electronics, auto, etc). Of course GFS (Gordon Food Services) isn't located everywhere. You can try their website (www.gfs.com) and see where they are located.

BakeQueen Posted 21 Jun 2006 , 4:16pm
post #33 of 46

Cool. Thanks for breaking it down into layman's terms. I will try to see if they will ship it.

Rodneyck Posted 21 Jun 2006 , 4:22pm
post #34 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandootie

Ok...it can be used the same as Crisco, but my question is...when making buttercream, can I still use the butter (1 stick) with this hi-ratio shortening or will it make the buttercream more oily?


Wanda




Hi Wanda,

You can still use your butter and it will not make it any more oily than normal shortening. Like the normal shortening, hi-ratio mixes well with butter with the same results. The only difference is that when whipped, the hi-ratio will give you better results, fluffier, whipped.

tbittner Posted 21 Jun 2006 , 4:38pm
post #35 of 46

I found a websight that has a 50lb and 3lb option for high-ratio shortening. It is called Country Kitchens.

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/Searchresults.aspx?Description=shortening
Tracy Bittner

BakeQueen Posted 21 Jun 2006 , 4:40pm
post #36 of 46

Thanks Tracy. I will contact them to order the 50lb one.

Rodneyck Posted 21 Jun 2006 , 4:52pm
post #37 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbittner

I found a websight that has a 50lb and 3lb option for high-ratio shortening. It is called Country Kitchens.

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/Searchresults.aspx?Description=shortening
Tracy Bittner




This is where I order mine from, good quality. They are really nice there and ship immediately. If there is something on backorder, they give you a call and see if you want them to ship or wait, great customer service and good prices.

puzzlegut Posted 21 Jun 2006 , 5:30pm
post #38 of 46

When we had GFS print out a product information sheet for us about the Sweetex shortening, it said that it had a shelf-life of 4 months. I was just curious if the shortening will last longer then 4 months.

koolaidstains Posted 21 Jun 2006 , 8:53pm
post #39 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodneyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbittner

I found a websight that has a 50lb and 3lb option for high-ratio shortening. It is called Country Kitchens.

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/Searchresults.aspx?Description=shortening
Tracy Bittner



This is where I order mine from, good quality. They are really nice there and ship immediately. If there is something on backorder, they give you a call and see if you want them to ship or wait, great customer service and good prices.




Ooh ooh ooh they're in Indiana about 2.5 hours from me. I have a great aunt in Fort Wayne, I might just have to go. I can't find any cake supply stores in Indianapolis, which I find unreal.

Rodneyck Posted 21 Jun 2006 , 11:56pm
post #40 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolaidstains



Ooh ooh ooh they're in Indiana about 2.5 hours from me. I have a great aunt in Fort Wayne, I might just have to go. I can't find any cake supply stores in Indianapolis, which I find unreal.




I grew up in Indiana, a little town north from you. My mom wants me to fly back this summer. I saw your temps and remember the summer humidity, so I am trying to negotiate a September visit, lol. You know how mom's can be though.

You might also check south of you. I remember coming across a couple of well known cake decorators/bakeries in Bloomington, so I am assuming there must be some supply shops around that area.

San Francisco, the design mecca behind New York, has no supply shops either, go figure. I have to travel south for cake decorating classes and supplies.

Have fun shopping!!!

koolaidstains Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 3:51pm
post #41 of 46

[quote="Rodneyck"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolaidstains



I grew up in Indiana, a little town north from you. My mom wants me to fly back this summer. I saw your temps and remember the summer humidity, so I am trying to negotiate a September visit, lol. You know how mom's can be though.

You might also check south of you. I remember coming across a couple of well known cake decorators/bakeries in Bloomington, so I am assuming there must be some supply shops around that area.

San Francisco, the design mecca behind New York, has no supply shops either, go figure. I have to travel south for cake decorating classes and supplies.

Have fun shopping!!!




Wow, San Francisco doesn't have any shops?!? I did some searching and did come up with one shop in Indy. It looks like it's mostly Wilton stuff with a few other items. They offer classes that don't specifically say they're Wilton, but the course description is the same. It would probably still be worth checking out. I remember when taking my classes, my instructor said there used to be a few shops in Indy, but they had closed down. Oh, the one I found does carry Choco-Pan which I hear is good.

But, I'm sure my great aunt would love for us to come and visit Fort Wayne. I really want to try the hi-ration, but don't want to pay shipping for a small amount and I'm not ready for a 50 pound bucket of anything LOL.

September in Indiana is one of the best times of the year! I grew up in NW Indiana, moved to Houston, and recently came back here.

JanH Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 4:43pm
post #42 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegut

We went to GFS yestday and asked them about the hi-ratio shortening and they said they could order it for us. The can order the Sweetex 50lb for $61.99. They said that we just have to call them in advance and whenever their next truck comes in, we would just have to go to the store and pick it up.




puzzlegut,

My GFS checked their computer and couldn't help me - no such product!!! icon_mad.gif

Would you be so kind as to tell me what item # or other info they gave you when you asked them to special order this for you.

TIA

puzzlegut Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 10:09pm
post #43 of 46

JanH: The product # for the 50# cube of Sweetex shortening is 1080220. Hopefully this will help you out.

JanH Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 2:02pm
post #44 of 46

Hi puzzlegut,

Thanks SO much!!!!

Off I go to GFS icon_biggrin.gif Wish me luck.

DelightsByE Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 2:11am
post #45 of 46

One of our supply shops stocks little 3lb tubs of CK's hi-ratio. If anyone has experience coloring this stuff, I'd appreciate feedback. It was pretty expensive - $7.35 for 3lbs - so I don't want to experiment with it without someone else's input!

Otherwise I'm looking forward to trying it. I have to make 150 BC flowers for a cupcake wedding next weekend and I intend to use the same recipe for Wilton's "Class Buttercream" (all-shortening) except subbing the hi-ratio. Hope it will work!

Rodneyck Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 3:58am
post #46 of 46

DelightsByE, that CK brand is Country Kitchen's, the store in Fort Wayne, IN we discussed above, the brand I commented on. It is good quality. I colored it, a 50/50, butter/hi-ratio, powdered sugar frosting and it took the color very well. Actually hi-ratio shortening takes color better than the regular shortening. You should not have a problem.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%