No Fail Recipe Or...........???

Baking By heidinamba Updated 8 Dec 2012 , 4:35pm by BakingIrene

heidinamba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heidinamba Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 11:50pm
post #1 of 27

I've been faithfully using the no fail sugar cookie recipe. I like it for the most part. The taste is good - but not wonderful. I mostly like it because the shape of the cookies does not change when baked. Can someone else suggest some other recipe and tell me why you prefer it? I once posted a topic about "intricate cookie cutters" on this forum (because I regularly have problems with the nooks and crannies of some cutters) and one person responded saying that she always uses the Martha recipe and has never experienced that problem. What do y'all say? Give me some specific recipes.

Thanks!

26 replies
Kos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kos Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 3:12am
post #2 of 27

Great question.

I've been scouring the internet looking for more options as well. I agree with your take on the No Fails. I like them, they are easy to use, and great for cookie cutters, but I think I'm getting a little bored with them. I just tried a chocolate chip cut-out cookie recipe which I like, but they are not as easy to work with. I have found several sugar cookie recipes where they use powder sugar instead of granulated. Wonder what that does??

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is "BUMP!" icon_biggrin.gif

kos

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 1:44pm
post #3 of 27

in Toba's class we did 2 different kind of cookies. They didn't spread. The taste was good, but i noticed once placed in a box... you see oil spots all over. but here they are:

Butter Cookies
1 cup of unsalted butter
1 cup of granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking powder
3 cups all purpose flour (plues extra for rolling out dough)

Preheat oven at 350 F.
Cream the butter and sugar for 2 minutes. Stop and scrap the bowl. Cream the mixture for an additional 60 seconds.

Add egg and vanilla and beat until well combined.

Sift together the baking powder and flour. Add the flour mixture in two turns - about 1 cup at a time to the creamed butter and sugar mixture. Mix thouroughlyafter each addition. Sprinkle the last cup of flour mixture on the work surface. Knead the dough onto the flour mixture until all of the flour mixture disappears into the dough. but don't overwork it. The dough should be stiff.

Divide the dough into 2 parts. Wrap 1/2 in plastic wrap until ready to use. On a floured surface, divide the unwrapped dough into 2 parts. Roll out 1 part onto the floured surface to [1/8] to [1/4] inch thick. Run a large offset metal spatula under the dough to prevent it from sticking. Cut out cookies with cookie cutters, dipping the cutters into flour before each use.

Carefully place the cookies on an ungreased, nonstick cookie sheet or a parchment-lined half-sheet pan. Bake for 6-8 minutes or until the edges of the cookies begin to brown lightly. Let the cookies rest on the cookie sheet until ready to use. The cookies do not require refrigeration if stored in a cool, dry place.

Note: once the cookies are cut our, gather the scraps and knead freash dough into them. The wrapped dough can be refrigerated for up to 2 wks or frozen for up to 3 months.

Yield: 3 1/2 - 4 dozen cookies (medium size).

WOW ok that was long.
I have more i can scan and email to anyone who is interested. The recipe above she used in class. the others are from her book.
In her book we also has:

Lemon and/or Orange cream Cookies (these are good! also did in class)
Almond Paste Cookies
Chocolate Cookies
Shortbread I
Shortbread II
Gingerbread Cookies

Again if interested let me know.

HTH
Kat

heidinamba Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 4:32pm
post #4 of 27

hey katskakes,

That recipe you listed is the exact recipe for No Fail Sugar cookies - but cut in half!

I have a wonderful sugar cookie recipe that tastes out of this world and it's made with half gran sugar and half powdered sugar - it also has cream of tartar in it. I would use it for my decorated cookies except that the cookies would totally lose their shape. So I continue to use the No fail recipe and I don't get complaints but I'm not extremely happy with the taste or texture. I flavor my dough ocassionally with something different and sometimes I use half shortning & half butter and that seems to improve the texture a bit but I would still like another option. Autumn Carpenter -who is a well known cookie decorator - posted a recipe that she loves on her website and it's made with cream cheese - she mentions that she has made tons of sugar cookie recipes and this one is her favorite. I made it and I was not impressed and neither were my friends and family. So, onward to find a new AWESOME sugar cookie recipe! Any more recipes or suggestions?

Kos Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 4:55pm
post #5 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidinamba

hey katskakes,

... Autumn Carpenter -who is a well known cookie decorator - posted a recipe that she loves on her website and it's made with cream cheese - she mentions that she has made tons of sugar cookie recipes and this one is her favorite. I made it and I was not impressed and neither were my friends and family. So, onward to find a new AWESOME sugar cookie recipe! Any more recipes or suggestions?

I also just tried a recipe with cream cheese. The dough smelled wonderful. My family gave the cookies a big "eh!" so I tossed the recipe. I decorated a few of the cookies and tossed the rest out for the deer. A day later, my husband said, "These cookie are great! Where the rest!?" <gulp> I didn't notice much of a WOW factor though. I'm getting burned out on trying recipes! icon_cry.gif

kos

manatee19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manatee19 Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 6:16pm
post #6 of 27

I'm in the process of trying a recipe, but I was wondering what flavoring you use. I use 1/2 almond and 1/2 vanilla extract. They taste really good. But I know what you mean by getting old. It's funny I never eat the cookies anymore. I taste the dough once to make sure it's good, and that's it.

I'll try and keep up updated.

fat-sissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fat-sissy Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 6:45pm
post #7 of 27

I usually do No-Fails also. Tried Martha's last week and didn't like it because it really spread. I followed the instructions to the letter. They tasted good. I'm going to try a recipe I read here on CC in a forum. It's an old Wilton recipe. I'll let you know how they turn out.

heidinamba Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 6:57pm
post #8 of 27

For flavoring I have used all vanilla, all almond, a mixture of the two, orange, or orange and vanilla. I'm not too crazy about lemon so I have not tried that and any other flavors just do not sound "cookie-like".

I don't eat my cookies any more either. They don't even seem like food any longer. More like little pieces of art. My house smells wonderful while I'm baking but it does not tempt me. And believe me - I love cookies and I have a massive sweet tooth. I will still reach for my kid's Oreos but not my homemade cookies. Funny how that happens. I will take quick licks sometimes at the icing or melted chocolate if I happen to be using that for decorating. My kids love eating the raw cookie dough. I dig chocolate chip cookie dough but not my sugar cookie dough. I guess I'm just sick of them. Maybe that is more the reason I want a change of recipe.

Katskakes Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 7:13pm
post #9 of 27

Get out of town w/it's the same recipe!
ha icon_eek.gif
I have that recipe on my stach of CC stuff i want to try. And i was excited about getting my KA Mixer to do it. LOL i didn't read it yet or compared it so i didn't know. it's good to know.
so no more excitement since i've already done them. lol excited now about practicing the decorating.
I have Autumn's book at home.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 7:39pm
post #10 of 27

I used to use "Martha's" recipe, but when I tired the "no-fail" I never went back. THey spread lessm whcih I like!

For other flavorings, I've added raspberry, which was subtle, but good. It colored the dough slightly pink... I've also tried two of the other recipes from that site (where the no-fail came from) - the mocha, chocolate were GREAT! I think they also have a cherry and a lemon...

aliciaL_77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciaL_77 Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 7:44pm
post #11 of 27

personally I dont care for the NF with Vanilla but I love it when I used lemon extract.. It also works well whe I replace 1/2 c flour for 1/2 c cocoa powder

Kos Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 7:44pm
post #12 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katskakes

Get out of town w/it's the same recipe!
ha icon_eek.gif
I have that recipe on my stach of CC stuff i want to try. And i was excited about getting my KA Mixer to do it. LOL i didn't read it yet or compared it so i didn't know. it's good to know.
so no more excitement since i've already done them. lol ...

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I find that most of the recipes like "no fail" are the same. Wilton's roll-out is the same except the baking powder amount is off a smidge I think.

kos

fat-sissy Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 8:16pm
post #13 of 27

OK- here are the cookies I just made w/the recipe I found here on a forum. They referred to it as an old Wilton recipe. They didn't spread as much as Martha's Stewarts did. But I don't think they taste that great. I guess I'll quit experimenting and stick w/the No-Fails.
LL

heidinamba Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 9:30pm
post #14 of 27

So it looks like the No Fail cookie recipe is the winner

I have also tried just a basic shortbread recipe and that tastes fine but many people do not like the texture of shortbread - too dense. I've noticed that when I decorate with the candy melts - my cookies stay on the crisp side, but when I decorate with royal icing or the glace icing - my cookies become soft. They don't taste bad but a slight bit of crunch would be better. I guess there is only so many combinations you can try with sugar cookie ingredients. They all start to taste the same after awhile.

bbarnes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbarnes Posted 10 Jun 2006 , 1:19pm
post #15 of 27

THis is the one I use. I love it. You don't have to chill, and it does not spread. Got this from another board I am giving credit to the author.

Melissa's Sugar Cookies
2 sticks of Land of Lakes sweet cream salted butter
1 large egg
1 cup of sugar
vanilla-I don't measure-Just splash it in
Mix until creamy
2 3/4 to 3 cups of plain flour

Mix butter and sugar until light and fluffy, add egg and vanilla and then add the flour

Bake at 400 for 7 to 8 minutes

The dough should not be crumbly -- No need to chill this dough, you can use it from the bowl to rolling out.

use about 1/3 of the dough at a time to roll

roll cookies thick -- a good 1/4 + and right on the formica

Let them cool competely before decorationg.

Freeze them undecorated for up to 2 months in vacummed sealed containers or tightly sealed -- they freeze very well.

Unfrozen and Packaged in cellophane, they will keep up to 3 weeks -- I've pushed it with 4 -- but definitely 3

craftst3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftst3 Posted 10 Jun 2006 , 4:51pm
post #16 of 27

Thank you to the people that shared their recipes. I am adding them to my book and see how they come out.
Katskakes- I would like to get the other recipes you said that you could scan and email. I am new to this and always looking for new recipes to try. My email address is [email protected]. I look forward to hearing from you.

emie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emie Posted 10 Jun 2006 , 6:18pm
post #17 of 27

I have been searching & trying recipes same as everyone trying to find one that is better than NF. I've tried, Toba's, Karen's, Melissa's, Martha's,
Wilton's etc and the NF, altho I wish I could tweak it & make it better is still my fav for cut outs. I like it best with half lemon & half vanilla fl.

surfergina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
surfergina Posted 10 Jun 2006 , 10:00pm
post #18 of 27

I use the recipe from Publix Apron's Simple Meals' Sugar Cookies. I didn't have any problem with it except with the baking time - I bake no more than 10 minutes to prevent browning and hard. It holds shape well and taste good. The dough holds its' shape and won't spread during baking. Make sure you let your oven preheat for at least 1/2 hour before baking these.

Publix Sugar Cookies

2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1 egg
2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine flour, baking powder and salt, mixing well. Combine sugar and butter in large bowl, with electric mixer on high speed, until well mixed. Add egg and vanilla; mix well. Add four mixture, mix well.

Chill 2 hours until firm.

Preheat oven to 350*. Use your favorite cookie cutter to shape chilled dough and place on lightly greased baking sheet. Bake up to 12 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool completely before decorate. Makes 4 dozen.

Some people like crispy cookie, but I prefer chewy cookie so I bake no more than 7 minutes. I like my cookie without any golden brown. Instead of placing the cookies on lightly, greased baking sheet, I use Silpat (silicone non-stick removable baking sheet) and I never had any browning on the cookie's bottom.

Kos Posted 10 Jun 2006 , 10:14pm
post #19 of 27

Thanks H.R. Puffenstuff. (surfergina) I'm crackin' up over your avatar. Oh, how I had a crush on Jack Wild! icon_razz.gif

Thanks for the recipe. If it's Publix, it has to be good. Now, if we could just steal their buttercream recipe! icon_twisted.gif

kos

surfergina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
surfergina Posted 10 Jun 2006 , 10:56pm
post #20 of 27

Kos - LOL! I, too, used to have a crush on Jack Wild. On the sad note, he passed away this March 6th from oral/throat cancer. He was 52 years old. God bless him.

Kos Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 12:04am
post #21 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfergina

Kos - LOL! I, too, used to have a crush on Jack Wild. On the sad note, he passed away this March 6th from oral/throat cancer. He was 52 years old. God bless him.

icon_eek.gif 52?!?! How can that be?? We were both so young! icon_confused.gif

{sigh}

kos

ktaylor546 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ktaylor546 Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 6:39pm
post #22 of 27

Here is a cream cheese cookie recipe that I have used many times - It is pretty easy to work with and everyone has really liked it.

1 cup of butter or margarine
1 8 ounce package of cream cheese, softened
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla

1. In a mixing bowl, beat butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer on medium to high speed abuot 30 seconds or until softened. Add about half of the flour, the sugar, egg, baking powder, and vanilla to the butter mixture. Beat until thoroughly combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Then beat or stir in the remaining flour.

2. Cover and chill for 3 to 24 hours or until easy to handle. On a lightly floured surface roll dough to 1/4 inch thickness and cut into shapes.

3. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are firm and bottoms are lightly browned. Carefully removed cookies and cool on wire rack. Makes about 36 cookies.

mid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mid Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 1:26pm
post #23 of 27

Hi there,

Would anybody here mind sharing with me the No Fail Biscuit recipe...I tried searching under recipes but can't find any.... PlEASE.....I really wanted to try it out. icon_redface.gif

Katskakes Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 1:46pm
post #24 of 27

craftst3 - I just saw this today, i will email you all the recipes from Toba's book today. Just need sometime to scan them at work.

Kat

fat-sissy Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 9:36pm
post #25 of 27

Mid- I think you mean No Fail Cookie recipe. Check in the cookie recipe section.

auntie889 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntie889 Posted 8 Dec 2012 , 4:09pm
post #26 of 27

Hi - Tnx for sharing Toba Garretts recipe - - I'd be interested in receiving TG's other recipes.  Tnx is advance

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 8 Dec 2012 , 4:35pm
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidinamba 

I have also tried just a basic shortbread recipe and that tastes fine but many people do not like the texture of shortbread - too dense. I've noticed that when I decorate with the candy melts - my cookies stay on the crisp side, but when I decorate with royal icing or the glace icing - my cookies become soft. They don't taste bad but a slight bit of crunch would be better. 

This difference is from your icing NOT your cookie.

To keep your cookies crisp under whatever icing, paint the cooled baked cookies with a thin layer of candy melts.  Then decorate with royal or any other icing.

And as a general comment--I have switched from roll-out cookie recipes to refrigerator cookie recipes.  Once the dough has chilled overnight, it can be rolled just fine.

I use lime oil with a bit of almond, or rum extract with the vanilla and a touch of nutmeg. MUCH less boring...

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/neapolitan-cookies-i/ 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%