So Embarrased!!why?

Decorating By nicksmom Updated 10 Jun 2006 , 5:33am by koolaidstains

nicksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicksmom Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 5:26am
post #1 of 11

I taught my 4th class for course 3 the other night,so I had a two tier wedding cake and nobody to give it to,so I went to visit my uncle in the hospital,and my aunt said if I bring in the cake some will want it.sure enough! we walked in and the nurse from pediatrics/materinity ward said how beautiful and could she have for them to eat and share,so I went up with her,everyone was excited about some comfort food! I said I would be back for my plate and pillars and off I went.I return to get my things,and they say"your cake is not cooked all the way"(WHAT!!!!!)OMG I was like trying to remain calm and collected,little did they know.I went in there break room and she showed me,the middle was not coked they thought,and I am not to sure myself,I poked at it with the knife and to me it was just mushy/gooey/very,very moist kinda thing!!!!!!!!I expained it had been in the freezer, then taken out to do then put in the fridge overnight then sat in the car for an hour and so maybe it was temp changes,can that happen?anyway I made many apollogies and they were laughing in the end and said they were still gonna eat,just not that middle! how could this have happened, I cheched them when they came out of the dang oven icon_cry.gif soryy for the long winded icon_rolleyes.gif

10 replies
LeeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeeAnn Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 5:31am
post #2 of 11

Yes these things happen/ cake decorating making looks easy but sooooooooooooo many things can go wrong it really needs to look good first and then taste good but so many things can happen in the proces thankfully it was like this i always write down the size of tin how long it took to cook and i think still every cake changes 5/10 minutes. Do not worry you will be more meticulous about checking now

sarajane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarajane Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 5:34am
post #3 of 11

Hi there - if you are like me, you watch your cakes till they just get to the point of boing done. It is easy for a cake to look done and be almost to that point - your knife will even come out clean... Usually they will fall as they sit, but if the tops and bottoms are "done" sometimes they will hold up even if the middle is not. I always keep 4" cakes of each flavor in the freezer, just incase when I split the cakes to fill, I find a gooey spot. It was an honest mistake... Atleast it was not over cooked and dry!

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 5:37am
post #4 of 11

I once made a small cake for a event and when cutting I noticed a very long hair sorta on the knife and cake. It was long and blonde which I am not and so I tried to remove it before anyone saw it but it was too late. They all saw that it was blonde and blamed one of people who looked at it. Still I just wanted to crawl in the cake and die! I just wanted to scream it was on top of the cake and I have black hair!!

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 10:08am
post #5 of 11

Always torte! You will know it is done then icon_wink.gif

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 8:44pm
post #6 of 11

Maybe it wasn't your fault. Do you have an electric oven?
My cakes started to be cooked around the outside to the point of being overdone and still mushy in the center-even with baking strips and cores in the large cakes. I thought "I can't be that bad of a baker!" I put a themometer in the oven and found the temp. was rising and lowering by lots of degrees. That meant the element needed to be replaced.

Good part is my DH didn't want to fix it because he thought something else would break in a short time-so he went to the appliance store and got talked into a beautiful Wolf oven and cook top. If I knew he could be talked into that I would have broken that old oven a long time ago!!!

Rodneyck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rodneyck Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 8:52pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmama

Always torte! You will know it is done then icon_wink.gif

Good advice! thumbs_up.gif

o0lilnikki0o Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
o0lilnikki0o Posted 10 Jun 2006 , 1:55am
post #8 of 11

what is torting the cake?

thanks.. im ALWAYS worried ill find a hair or it wont be cooked.. its scaary!

Amish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amish Posted 10 Jun 2006 , 2:15am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by o0lilnikki0o

what is torting the cake?

thanks.. im ALWAYS worried ill find a hair or it wont be cooked.. its scaary!

Torting a cake is just cutting it throught the middle, and putting some kind of filling.

Jennz818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennz818 Posted 10 Jun 2006 , 4:57am
post #10 of 11

I made a cake for my sister-in-law because they are adopting 3 children and my in-laws were having a party for them.
Half way through dessert one of her friends walks over to me, in front of everyone, and says "I just want to give my compliments to the chef"....I was so touched...then he said "because I just found this in my cake"...and he had this hard hair like thing...I realized that it was part of my basting brush that I use to brush on my cake pan grease....I was soooo mortified. I think his wife was embarrassed to for the way that he went about it.
Needless to say I through the brushes out as soon as I got home icon_cry.gif

koolaidstains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koolaidstains Posted 10 Jun 2006 , 5:33am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennz818

I made a cake for my sister-in-law because they are adopting 3 children and my in-laws were having a party for them.
Half way through dessert one of her friends walks over to me, in front of everyone, and says "I just want to give my compliments to the chef"....I was so touched...then he said "because I just found this in my cake"...and he had this hard hair like thing...I realized that it was part of my basting brush that I use to brush on my cake pan grease....I was soooo mortified. I think his wife was embarrassed to for the way that he went about it.
Needless to say I through the brushes out as soon as I got home icon_cry.gif

Well, that was rude! I had to rebake a 12x18 once because I had asked dh to coat my pan and later realized I forgot to tell him to make sure none of the hairs came off. I was afraid someone would get one and think it was real hair. I stopped using the pastry brush after that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%