Big Cookie--Urgent

Baking By dandelion Updated 23 Jun 2006 , 3:35pm by beeline

dandelion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 3:20am
post #1 of 30

i need to make a big cookie...just wondering if any chocolate chip cookie recipe will work or if there's a special recipe
thanks for the help!

29 replies
martinez73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
martinez73 Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 3:24am
post #2 of 30

I think any cookie recipe works as long as you double it if you have to.. Hope this helps..

dandelion Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 3:27am
post #3 of 30

Thank you very much for the speedy response!

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 4:37pm
post #4 of 30

Just be sure not to over bake it or it will be rock hard. (Ask me how I know... icon_mad.gif ) When it *just* starts to brown, take it out.

pinkopossum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkopossum Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 6:12pm
post #5 of 30

yeah, any recipe will do just be sure to have some extra in case the normal batch is lacking. and like momsandraven said, be sure not to overbake. good luck. icon_biggrin.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 6:18pm
post #6 of 30

Another thing that's nice is to bake it in a cake pan so you get a perfectly round cookie....that way too you can just smoosh the dough in and don't really have to worry if it's perfectly even because if it spreads it can only go so far!

mammamansfield Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mammamansfield Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 6:20pm
post #7 of 30

Making the cookie in a pizza pan works well too.

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 6:24pm
post #8 of 30

I've baked them in pie pans before and I was too afraid of burning it or making it hard, so I turned down the temp and checked it often.

No special recipe is required.

Good Luck!

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 6:46pm
post #9 of 30

If you decide to use a pizza pan, leave at least 1 inch room on the edges for the dough to expand... if you don't sometimes the edges spill over and burn.

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 6:51pm
post #10 of 30

I did this last weekend, and I learned three things:

1) definitely make it in a cake pan. No worries about spillage or spreading too thin.

2) any cookie recipe will work. I used the duncan hines cookie mix in the bag. You can get them for 99 cents. It took two bags for a 10" cake pan.

3) As momsandraven said, take it out when it JUST turns brown. I also learned this the hard way. Had to make three cookies before I got it right!

Good luck!

dandelion Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 7:17pm
post #11 of 30

thanks for all the info!
i did make it in a cake pan. used a chocolate chocolate chip cookie recipe. checked the oven often. it was delicious!

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 1:25am
post #12 of 30

Yay! icon_biggrin.gif

Misska21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misska21 Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 1:35am
post #13 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiET

If you decide to use a pizza pan, leave at least 1 inch room on the edges for the dough to expand... if you don't sometimes the edges spill over and burn.

I never would have thought of that...thanks for the tip!

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 1:37am
post #14 of 30

Have I got a great Giant Cookie recipe for you! It has the texture and consistency of the Giant Cookies you would get at a retail establishment and is SO incredibly easy to make. It's made with a white cake mix so if you wanted to change the flavor (say to chocolate, chocolate chip) then you'd just use a chocolate cake mix. I've had fun adding things like M&M's or Reese's Pieces (so yummy in the chocolate, chocolate chip cookie) . . . I just don't add as many chocolate chips if I'm adding candy. Here is the recipe:

1 white cake mix
2 eggs
1 stick of butter (softened)
1 t. vanilla
1 bag of chocolate chips

Mix together, pat onto lightly greased pizza pan (I've used disposable ones for cookies that I'm giving away). Bake 350 degrees for 22-25 minutes.

**if dough is too thick, you can add a few drops of water to thin (but I've made this dozens of times and have NEVER needed to do this so I'd recommend just following the recipe).

Enjoy!

ckkerber Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 4:22am
post #15 of 30

. . . one more thing. This cookie recipe does not tend to overspread as previous messages warned about when you are using chocolate chip cookie dough. I've always flattened it onto the pizza pan pretty much right up to the edge. It does even out when it cooks and you end up with a pretty uniform edge but I've never once had an issue with overflowing the edges. It's pretty much an easy, tasty, almost foolproof recipe!

cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakes Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 12:45pm
post #16 of 30

In a pinch I used the rolls of Toll House cookies dough that you buy in the refridge. section of the grocery store. My daughter likes a really thick cookie cake so I use 2 rolls. I use a piece of wax paper on top of the dough to kind of spread it into my cookie pan, that way the dough is not all over my hands. It works great.Although I am going to try the recipe posted by ckkerber, toll house has done the work for me. Decorate as I like and it is ready to go. I used a pizza cutter for slicing this cookies.( I always stock up on the toll house cookies when they are on sale at the grocery store. Just store them in my freezer and when I am ready to make one defrost for a short time, spread in my pan and bake. It can't be simpler. My daughter is hard to please and she loves it.

luv2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cake Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 1:59pm
post #17 of 30

Okay, so here's my question....

What's the best way to grease the pan? Do I flour the pan also?

After I take it out of the oven, how long do I let it cool in the cake pan before I remove it?

ckkerber Posted 21 Jun 2006 , 3:14am
post #18 of 30

With the recipe I posted, I always just spray the pizza pan with non-stick spray.

I have to say I've never removed the cookie from the pan . . . I've always made these cookie cakes for someone else and so I use the disposable pizza pans (I pick them up at the grocery store - they come in packs of three) and just decorate them in the pan once they cool. When they're cut, the pieces come out very easily so the non-stick spray seems to be sufficient.

Kos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kos Posted 21 Jun 2006 , 3:57am
post #19 of 30

ckkerber- Is this the SpongeBob cookie you have in your gallery? I'm going to have to try this recipe out. I was just going to start a search for a recipe like this. Thanks!! thumbs_up.gif

kos

ckkerber Posted 21 Jun 2006 , 4:06am
post #20 of 30

Yes, the Spongebob cake is the recipe that I posted. I made two Spongebob cakes for a friend . . . one a white cake, the other a cookie cake. The white cake was too dry and I got very honest feedback about it (which I appreciated) but the cookie cake got RAVE reviews and I know she would have been forthright if it wasn't up to par. I love the flavor and the texture and it couldn't be easier to make.

beeline Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beeline Posted 21 Jun 2006 , 9:44am
post #21 of 30

I was needing a giant cookie recipe for this past weekend, and found this thread. I tried ckkerber's recipe (except I used yellow cake mix) and it was AWESOME! Thanks!!

ckkerber Posted 21 Jun 2006 , 7:26pm
post #22 of 30

beeline -

did you take the cookie cake out of the pan to decorate / serve it or did you keep it in the pan? I am curious how to handle removing the cookie from the pan as it's large and I'd be afraid of breakage. I've always just served it in the pan.

If anyone has advice for handling giant cookies out of the pan I'd appreciate it!

luv2cake Posted 21 Jun 2006 , 7:33pm
post #23 of 30

I just made one yesterday.

I baked mine in a 10" round cake pan, lightly greased with Crisco.

After I baked it, I let it sit for 10 minutes in the pan. Then I dumped it over onto the countertop covered with a piece of waxed paper. Then I had to let it COMPLETELY cool before I could move it to flip it back over. It is now completely stable and ready for me to decorate it.

ckkerber Posted 21 Jun 2006 , 7:41pm
post #24 of 30

How thick was your cookie? I wonder if that would work with pizza pan sized cookies. They end up being thinner than a cake would be and because they're so large, I don't know if they'd break.

I'll have to try your tips and see how it goes.

Thanks!

luv2cake Posted 21 Jun 2006 , 7:47pm
post #25 of 30

My cookie was pretty thick. I didn't measure it, but it was definitely thinker than if I would've used a pizza pan.

Honestly, this was my first one. I am by no means an expert....yet! icon_smile.gif

tysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tysmom Posted 21 Jun 2006 , 8:02pm
post #26 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckkerber

Have I got a great Giant Cookie recipe for you! It has the texture and consistency of the Giant Cookies you would get at a retail establishment and is SO incredibly easy to make. It's made with a white cake mix so if you wanted to change the flavor (say to chocolate, chocolate chip) then you'd just use a chocolate cake mix. I've had fun adding things like M&M's or Reese's Pieces (so yummy in the chocolate, chocolate chip cookie) . . . I just don't add as many chocolate chips if I'm adding candy. Here is the recipe:

1 white cake mix
2 eggs
1 stick of butter (softened)
1 t. vanilla
1 bag of chocolate chips

Mix together, pat onto lightly greased pizza pan (I've used disposable ones for cookies that I'm giving away). Bake 350 degrees for 22-25 minutes.

**if dough is too thick, you can add a few drops of water to thin (but I've made this dozens of times and have NEVER needed to do this so I'd recommend just following the recipe).

Enjoy!

DUMB QUESTION!!
Do you mix the cake mix like you usuall would (oil, etc) or just like above recipe??
What size pan do you use?
Thanks,
Tammy

ckkerber Posted 21 Jun 2006 , 8:36pm
post #27 of 30

You do not mix the cake like the box says. Just dump the cake mix in a bowl, add the other ingredients, and mix all together (I always add the chips last after everything else is blended). It really is as easy as it sounds.

I've only made this cookie cake on a pizza pan (you get a cookie the size of the ones you'd see at the mall stores) but you could probably play with it a bit. I have no idea how to adjust time or temperature if you change the size so for a sure bet, go with the pizza pan (you can get disposable ones at the grocery store).

tysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tysmom Posted 21 Jun 2006 , 8:41pm
post #28 of 30

Thank you very much!! I have some of the disposable one's at home and can't wait to try this recipe!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakes Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 10:30pm
post #29 of 30

I always line my pan with a circle of parchment paper. I made a template of my pan once with a piece of light weight cardboard. Then, I just traced around it and made my circles. I leave the circles in the pan and when I am ready to bake I always am ready to line the pan. I used two rolls of toll house cookies and spread them in the pan pushing down on the dough with a piece of waxed paper so it is really easy. I like to serve in the pan but it is so easy with that piece of parchment underneath no need to grease the pan, and the cookie dough does not stick to the parchment paper either.

beeline Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beeline Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 3:35pm
post #30 of 30

ckkerber-
I did not take mine out of the pan. We were traveling to my in-laws' and I thought that was the easiest way to transport it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%