Tea Pot Cake

Decorating By morphis1208 Updated 11 May 2007 , 5:24pm by ladefly

morphis1208 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morphis1208 Posted 10 May 2007 , 11:09pm
post #1 of 11

Good evening all.

I am wanting to make a teapot cake for my mother for mothers day. I don't have the sports ball pan, but I do have the small pampered chef mixing bowl. Do you think this will work? Also I wanted to sort of carve out the top (for the lid) what's the best kind of cake or what recipe would allow for the best carving so that it doesn't crumble to much.

Thanks so much.

10 replies
mizshelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mizshelli Posted 11 May 2007 , 1:23am
post #2 of 11

I would think as long as the bowl is oven proof you should be ok. I would use a pound cake or an extended box mix recipe cake. I ALWAYS add an extra egg to the box cake mixes, sometimes I even add more flour and sugar and baking powder. I also always add 1/2 box instant pudding. I haven't had any carving problems yet icon_smile.gif (knock on wood)

bethbyington Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethbyington Posted 11 May 2007 , 1:27am
post #3 of 11

http://www.southernliving.com/southern/foods/seasonal_foods/article/0,28012,600044,00.html

here is a link to a southern living magazine article about making a teapot cake - good luck

allycook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allycook Posted 11 May 2007 , 1:39am
post #4 of 11

I have made one and am currently doing one. The first time I used a metal bowl just like a pan but tured the heat down and baked it longer. I use the cake extender plus half a box of instant pudding and it seems to be heavy enough for fondant. Freeze your cake prior to carving and it will cut easier. The part I struggle with most is the spout, so make sure you use dowels for attaching them to the cake.

bethyboop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethyboop Posted 11 May 2007 , 1:47am
post #5 of 11

I have been told that you can add a tablespoon of meringue poweder to any cake recipe to make it a pound cake which is sturdy enough for fondant.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 11 May 2007 , 2:28am
post #6 of 11

I've made many of them, but only use the sports ball pan. (there is pics of one in my photos) One important thing is to make the handle and spout out of gumpaste ahead of time so they can dry. I just use toothpics (2 in each one) for attaching them, and have never had a problem. Also, do NOT make them too big - that ruins the look of the teapot IMO, and makes them too heavy to hold into the cake properly. I know there are a lot of them in the galleries that are made with that bowl, and they look nice. (although I prefer them made with the sports ball pan!) icon_wink.gif

Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 11 May 2007 , 2:30am
post #7 of 11

I love the teapot cakes!! I have that on the top of my list to try next time I have time to practice icon_smile.gif Good luck and I can't wait to see a pic icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Posted 11 May 2007 , 2:46am
post #8 of 11

Pound cake! I use the plain old pound cake mix and add 1 teaspoon of whatever flavor I like that day. (usually almond) You need a firm cake.

ladefly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladefly Posted 11 May 2007 , 3:24pm
post #9 of 11

Quadcrew, i just posted a comment to your teapot, looks wonderful..... but i have a question.... when you did the spout and handle out of gumpaste, did you put the toothpicks in right away, so they dried in the gumpaste???? Isn't it too hard to push it in after it dries????
thanks

Loucinda Posted 11 May 2007 , 4:24pm
post #10 of 11

Yes, I put the toothpics into the handle and spout right away, that way they're in there good and solid when the pieces are dry. Again, make sure you don't make them too big - they don't look as nice and it makes them extremely heavy. they work out much nicer if they are smaller.

It is also hard to get that "curve" for the pot - I do my best to make them curve to match the cake by using the pan - forming them and then reforming the part that will butt up to the cake by pressing it onto the rounded part of the pan. (hope that makes sense)

ladefly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladefly Posted 11 May 2007 , 5:24pm
post #11 of 11

yes it does make sense ...thank you very much

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%