How Do I Make Real Buttercream???

Baking By cat121481 Updated 18 May 2007 , 6:14am by lilthorner

cat121481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cat121481 Posted 10 May 2007 , 9:56pm
post #1 of 10

I currently use the half butter half crisco recipe. I would love to make real old fashioned buttercream.

Thanks,
cat121481

9 replies
FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 10 May 2007 , 10:12pm
post #2 of 10

Not sure if this is real buttercream, but this recipe is found on Food Network under Alton Brown Recipes:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_21747,00.html?rsrc=search

Buttercream Recipe courtesy Alton Brown
See this recipe on air Saturday May. 19 at 2:00 PM ET/PT.

4 eggs, room temperature*
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup dark corn syrup
10 ounces butter, cubed and at room temperature

In a large mixing bowl, whip the eggs until light and fluffy.
In a small saucepan bring the sugar and the corn syrup to a boil. Lubricate the inside of a metal baster with a small amount of vegetable oil and dispense it completely. Then use this to drizzle the sugar mixture into the mixing bowl with the eggs. The mixer should be on low speed until you finish drizzling in all of the sugar mixture.
Once the entire mixture of the sugar is incorporated, slowly add the butter pieces. Only add more butter when you can no longer see the previously added pieces. It will go fast at first and then slow down. Continue to whip until the mixture is creamy.
*RAW EGG WARNING
Food Network Kitchens suggest caution in consuming raw and lightly-cooked eggs due to the slight risk of Salmonella or other food-borne illness. To reduce this risk, we recommend you use only fresh, properly-refrigerated, clean, grade A or AA eggs with intact shells, and avoid contact between the yolks or whites and the shell.

Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Medium
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 3 minutes
Yield: enough for 1 (2-layer) 9-inch
User Rating:

Episode#: EA1F14
Copyright © 2006 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 10 May 2007 , 10:12pm
post #3 of 10

I think that IMBC or FMBC. Both use only butter in thier recipes. One is cooked (IMBC) the other is not (FMBC). I think there is a recipe here on CC for them. I have made the IMBC and it is a favorite here. Am going to try the FMBC but not till it is cooler here.

gottacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottacake Posted 10 May 2007 , 10:16pm
post #4 of 10

I use the Duff Goldman Buttercreme recipe from Cake Central!

Go to Recipes and search Duff Goldman. I used the recipe 2 days ago and it was a hit!

Good luck!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 11 May 2007 , 11:17pm
post #5 of 10

Here's my version of meringue buttercream (so good my hubby can just eat a bowlful of this stuff!). It comes out very light and fluffy, but very rich and creamy, with a good butter flavor that isn't overpowering, and not too greasy, also just the right amount of sweetness! Has Crisco in it, but you can't taste it, just helps keep the whole thing stable and doesn't melt so easily!

Buttercream (with flavor variations)

Note: This is my own personal recipe that I developed. Please credit me if sharing with others. Thanks, Promise Whitley

Ingredients:
3 tablespoons Wilton Meringue Powder
1/2 cup cold water
2 cups granulated sugar
¼ cup corn syrup
1/2 cup warm water
4 sticks (1 pound) unsalted butter, just at room temp (50-60 deg Fahrenheit is ideal)
1 stick (2 cups) of Crisco
1 teaspoon extract/flavoring: vanilla, lemon, orange, almond, mint, or crème bouquet

Directions:
Wipe a large mixing bowl and beaters with a paper towel dampened with white vinegar, let air dry.
Once dried, in this mixing bowl and using these beaters, whip 3 tablespoons of Wilton Meringue Powder and 1/2 cup of cold water to stiff peaks.
While you are whipping this up, in a saucepan over medium, heat 2 cups granulated sugar, ¼ cup corn syrup and 1/2 cup warm water to 250 deg F then immediately transfer to a heatproof measuring cup and cool to 240 deg F.
Slowly add the syrup to the whipped meringue. To insure that the syrup does not crystallize from hitting the beaters, pour in a little at a time (about ¼ cup) and whip it in completely before adding more, but this all has to be added in before the syrup cools too much and starts to harden.
Once the syrup is all added, beat on high for 3 minutes until the meringue is very stiff and shiny.
Then place the bowl of meringue in an ice water bath and continue to beat on high for another 3 minutes.
Beat in the stick of Crisco until it is completely incorporated.
Then beat in 1 stick of butter at a time, completely incorporating each stick before adding the next one.
Add 1 teaspoons of extract or flavoring of you choice (vanilla extract, lemon extract, orange extract, almond extract, mint extract, or crème bouquet) and then whip on high for 3-7 more minutes (approx) until the fats and liquids are completely emulsified.

May be stored in on counter for up to 3 days as long as temp in house is 70 deg F or less or store in the fridge for up to 1 week. Allow to come to room temp and then rewhip on high for 3 to 5 minutes before using. Freeze up to 3 months. Thaw in fridge and then follow refrigerated directions.

All of the buttercreams below can be made from this buttercream base recipe:
Vanilla Buttercream
Vanilla Bean Buttercream
Almond Buttercream
Lemon Buttercream
Orange Buttercream
Mint Buttercream
Crème Bouquet Buttercream
White Chocolate Buttercream
Chocolate Buttercream
Chocolate-Chocolate Chip Buttercream
Chocolate-Almond Buttercream
Chocolate-Orange Buttercream
Chocolate-Mint Buttercream
Mint-Chocolate Chip Buttercream
Coffee Buttercream
Mocha Buttercream
Peanut Butter Buttercream
Peanut Butter-Chocolate Chip Buttercream
Dulche de Leche Buttercream
Brown Sugar Buttercream
Raspberry Buttercream
Raspberry-Chocolate Chip Buttercream
Strawberry Buttercream
Peach Buttercream

Here's how to make 2 of them:

To make chocolate buttercream, make buttercream with vanilla extract and 4 to 8 oz melted and cooled (to room temp) unsweetened baking chocolate (adjust for how strong of a chocolate flavor you want).

To make brown sugar buttercream, substitute light brown sugar and dark corn syrup for the granulated sugar and regular corn syrup. Use orange extract.

jenz0991 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenz0991 Posted 12 May 2007 , 7:13am
post #6 of 10

Thanks for sharing that recipie pterrell

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 14 May 2007 , 2:48pm
post #7 of 10

Mmmm.. I'm going to have to give your recipe a try pterrell. SOunds good!

cat121481 Posted 16 May 2007 , 10:09pm
post #8 of 10

In the Duff Goldman recipe what type of sugar is used? Granulated, superfine, powdered etc.?

cat121481 Posted 17 May 2007 , 2:01am
post #9 of 10

bump

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 18 May 2007 , 6:14am
post #10 of 10

granulated sugar in duffs recipe

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%