Sifter Vs Mesh Strainer

Decorating By cakemommy Updated 12 May 2007 , 2:24am by khoudek

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 10 May 2007 , 6:36pm
post #1 of 23

Okay, which do you prefer when it comes to sifting your powdered sugar?

I have found after using a regular sifter for the last seven years... icon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gif that using a mesh strainer is the easiest way to sift powdered sugar. It doesn't take half a century, just no time at all!

Amy

22 replies
ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 10 May 2007 , 6:41pm
post #2 of 23

I like a mesh strainer, no carpal tunnel syndrome from the repetitive motion of moving the sifter handle back and forth.

cakemommy Posted 10 May 2007 , 6:49pm
post #3 of 23

You got it Shirley~ It's so much easier. I discovered using the mesh strainer when I was at my sister's making royal for my show cake. That's how she does it!! That was a big DUH!!! icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif moment for me!!!!!

I have a big big deep steel bowl I sift my sugar into that way I still have the sides of the bowl free to sift more than 2 pounds in the same bowl.

Amy

lisasweeta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisasweeta Posted 10 May 2007 , 6:51pm
post #4 of 23

Strainer all the way.

I have a sifter that I generally don't use because it takes forever, my hand falls off and it is IMPOSSIBLE to clean. icon_mad.gif

luv2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cake Posted 10 May 2007 , 6:53pm
post #5 of 23

I used to prefer the mesh strainer. My only complaint with that was that it was messy.

I now just put my powdered sugar into a bowl or a cannister and run my wire whisk through it. You achieve the same result and it's a lot faster and there's no mess at all. I think I saw this trick on the Martha Stewart Show.

jeffer01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeffer01 Posted 10 May 2007 , 6:55pm
post #6 of 23

OMG, I thought it was just me fighting a battle with my sifter! It took too long to use, because I kept having to take a massage break to get the grip and feeling back into my wrist and hand!! icon_lol.gif
I bought a strainer from the Dollar Tree and love it, I never knew it could be so easy...sometimes I am slow....

JoMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoMarie Posted 10 May 2007 , 6:55pm
post #7 of 23

I love to use my Grandmothers old sifter - it is one of the ones that has a handle and crank knob and is red/white. I actually purchased a new sifter thinking that I would like it better - but it does hurt my hand when I use it. I always go back to the old one. icon_biggrin.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 10 May 2007 , 6:55pm
post #8 of 23

Mesh strainer here too.. icon_biggrin.gif

cakemommy Posted 10 May 2007 , 6:57pm
post #9 of 23

Can't be slower than me. It took me 7 years!!!!!!!!! Hello!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shirley has probably been doing it for 100!!!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Love you Shirley!!!!!
icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

Amy

cakemommy Posted 10 May 2007 , 7:00pm
post #10 of 23

You know, I have a crank one too that I bought about a year ago and that one even hurts my hand. Not the "cranking" hand but the one that holds the darn thing.

Amy

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 11 May 2007 , 12:38am
post #11 of 23

Mesh strainer works better for me, faster too it seems.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 11 May 2007 , 12:44am
post #12 of 23

and another vote for mesh --- is there any other way?

(and for his next experiment -- is thinking about figuring out a way to rig one of those little 3 legged battery powered back massagers to the strainer so it shakes itself)

KonfectionKonnection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KonfectionKonnection Posted 11 May 2007 , 12:52am
post #13 of 23

Definitely mesh strainer--although I tried several sifters over the last few years. I finally wised up after noticing how many of the people on the Foodnetwork used the strainer.

(Doug--Your idea sounds very promising . . . . You'll have to keep us posted.) icon_rolleyes.gif

cakemommy Posted 11 May 2007 , 2:33am
post #14 of 23

Modern technology!!!! icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif Let me know when you get the patent Doug!!! icon_wink.gif

Amy

luv2cake Posted 11 May 2007 , 2:40am
post #15 of 23

I'm telling you...you gotta give the wire whisk thing a try. icon_smile.gif It is even quicker than the mesh strainer.

Just run the whisk through the sugar and it will be just as sifted as with the mesh strainer. I tried it once and now that's all I use.

cakemommy Posted 11 May 2007 , 2:44am
post #16 of 23

Just a regulary ol' wire whisk? Really!!! I would think that would "sift" it but I will definately give it a whirl!!! icon_lol.gif

Thank you for the tip!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

Amy

luv2cake Posted 11 May 2007 , 3:37am
post #17 of 23

Yep, just a regular ol' wire whisk.

hnogden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hnogden Posted 11 May 2007 , 4:54am
post #18 of 23

Strainer???Sifter??? what is this the dark ages...LOL icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif
I actually take my Powdered sugar for a spin in my food processor. It does it all in a matter of microseconds. That is how I mix all my dry ingrediants for cakes. Breaks up all the big nasty lumps in the cake mixes, aerates and sifts everything together.
Gotta LOVE Alton Brown...Culinary Geek to the core and supremely lazy when it comes to sifting.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 11 May 2007 , 5:20am
post #19 of 23

Last year I decided I wanted an old fashioned sifter with a turn crank for my granddaughters to help me sift. I'd thrown away my old one years ago. The kind you squeeze the handleyou get soo tired of, and they couldn't have used it anyway. I had to search all over to finally find what I wanted at Target for about $5.00. I love the thing, and I actaully enjoy sifting. I think it has a soothing affect for me. Once in a while I use a wire whisk to mix in extra flour or sugar. I'm sure the mesh strainer would work as well as the sifter. I guess the sifter just takes me back, and I like that. Seems to take some of the hurry out of me when I need it too.

Happy Sifting!
Carol

Kwyet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kwyet Posted 11 May 2007 , 5:38am
post #20 of 23

I've always used a mesh strainer, like my mom taught me. When I found out she had a sifter in a back drawer, she told me that the strainer was far easier. After toying with it for a bout 5 minutes, I agreed, and have never looked back since.

Kwyet.

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 11 May 2007 , 6:47am
post #21 of 23

mesh strainer all the way.....

cakemommy Posted 11 May 2007 , 3:10pm
post #22 of 23

Never thought about my Kitchen Aid Food Processor. I don't use it that much and I don't leave it on my counter top so it would be more effort to take it out then to just use a strainer. Great idea though!!!!

Amy

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 12 May 2007 , 2:24am
post #23 of 23

Mesh strainer.... I've arthritis in my thumb so a sifter is down right painful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%