Fondant Cut Out Letters Question

Decorating By HomanSweets Updated 8 Jun 2006 , 2:18pm by AmyBeth

HomanSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HomanSweets Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 5:17am
post #1 of 9

I bought the metal tiny letter cut outs for fondant but each time I tried to use them, the fondant sticks in the tiny little letters, how do you get them out without messing them up? I tried dipping the cutters in a little bit of cooking oil, but that didn't work. ????? I am stumped! icon_smile.gif

8 replies
fmandds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmandds Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 5:28am
post #2 of 9

I would use powdered sugar or cornstarch to dip the cutters into rather than oil. I've never tried though but since I used powdered sugar for rolling fondant out.

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 5:50am
post #3 of 9

Instead of fondant I use a gumpaste. Roll it out very thinly and grease the cutter with a little crisco before using. You should have no problems tmen

doudoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doudoun Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 6:35am
post #4 of 9

I have the same problem but just with the B ! i try cornstach ans icing sugar but it doesn't working !

icon_rolleyes.gif

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 12:13pm
post #5 of 9

I don't use the metal cutters. I use the tiny Tappit plastic cutters. Just before cutting, I put the tiniest bit of Crisco on my fingers, then rub all the surface of the cutters. Somtimes it sticks just a tiny bit, but either a shake or light poke with a toothpick pops it out without distortion. You might try that.

mommymarilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommymarilyn Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 8:26pm
post #6 of 9

I had the same problem with the "B"! One thing that seems to help for me is to let the fondant sit for a few minutes after rolling it out, then cut the letters out, and lift off the excess fondant. I usually do this on a mat, and I leave the cutout letters sitting on it for a few more minutes to keep them from stretching out of shape when I pick them up. Hope this helps!

HomanSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HomanSweets Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 5:20am
post #7 of 9

Thanks for all the suggestions! I was just trying them out, I don't have any orders that I am using them on yet, so I have some time to play around with it icon_smile.gif

SLK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SLK Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 2:11pm
post #8 of 9

I roll my fondant out and let it set for a few minutes. I then flip it over and let it sit again - to dry out a bit. After about 5 minutes, flip it back over, dip the cutter in cornstarch, then cut. it works great. If anything sticks after that, I use my paint brush to gently coax it out.

Good luck.

AmyBeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyBeth Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 2:18pm
post #9 of 9

I was wondering the same thing. I have to use these for a grad cake I am doing this month. I am glad I saw this!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%