How Do I Fix Imbc?

Decorating By Chicklets Updated 10 Apr 2008 , 3:23pm by jnet72

Chicklets Posted 10 May 2007 , 6:04pm
post #1 of 5

I made my first batch and it seems really soft...can I just keep whipping until it stiffens up or can I add powdered sugar? Or could I add some pudding mix to thicken up and use as filling and just start over? I am not sure I love it...very buttery but I like that it is not so sweet!

Help!!!

4 replies
GIAcakes Posted 10 May 2007 , 6:14pm
post #2 of 5

maybe the butter got too warm. Try chilling it in the fridge for a little while and see if that helps.

KoryAK Posted 10 May 2007 , 6:16pm
post #3 of 5

Pudding mix is a no... how soft is it? By nature, it is much softer than most American buttercreams. If the meringue or the butter was too warm, then you can put the bowl in the fridge for 5 minutes at a time and then paddle a little more, repeat, until it cold down and thickens enough. Since it is butter based, leaving it too long will make it hard - but you can always fix it. I suppose you can add powdered sugar, but that kind of defeats the taste purpose, yes?

Jopalis Posted 10 May 2007 , 6:24pm
post #4 of 5

chill bowl, paddle and mixture for just 10 minutes or so. Not too long or it will be hard like a stick of butter. Then re mix w/paddle on high. Do not add xxx sugar or anything. I added xxx sugar and it made it worse...broke it down. I use Shirley W recipe/method. It is a very soft BC. Add a few drops of orange oil if you have it. Makes it taste so light. To pipe with it...get it chilled. Someone suggested to me to fill two pastry bags so when one gets too warm from your hands you can swop them....

jnet72 Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 3:23pm
post #5 of 5

I made a batch of IMBC this morning and it was VERY soft. (Only my second batch)....Of course, I knew where to find out how to fix it!! CC is the best! Thanks to everyone for sharing their expertise! I'd probably give up on caking if it wasn't for CC!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%