Color Flow Icing

Decorating By jonmarmar Updated 15 May 2005 , 2:19am by ntertayneme

jonmarmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonmarmar Posted 14 May 2005 , 7:50pm
post #1 of 9

Hello All!
I'm doing a graduation cake, and my decorations are made of color flow icing. I ran out of the batch I made but I have just a few more decorations I need to do. Do I just cut the recipe in half, or make a whole other batch of icing? But if I do that, what do I do with the remainder of the icing, since color flow gets hard over time?

thanks in advance for your responses

8 replies
ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 14 May 2005 , 7:52pm
post #2 of 9

I'm not sure what colors you're using, but I'm sure there'd be something you could make up and use with it later ... wish I could think of something to suggest icon_sad.gif

jonmarmar Posted 14 May 2005 , 8:06pm
post #3 of 9

I'll describe the cake I'm doing....
My church is having a graduation dinner for the students graduating, and there are students there from 5 different schools, so, my idea is...
on a 12x18x2 sheet cake, center a black graduation cap in proportion to the cake size (made of color flow icing), make the graduation caps in 5 different school colors (light blue, royal blue, maroon, forest green and purple) to be placed on the left side of the cake. I'm thinking of doing a bc transfer of an actual graduate to put on the right side. Along the top will be the word: "Congradulations", and then on the black cap will be, "Class of 2005" in golden yellow bc icing. The top border will be a rope in black, the bottom border will also be a rope but in golden yellow. the cake will be iced in white.
So those are the colors I am working with, I ran out of color flow, but still need to do the maroon caps and the golden yellow tassels for the purple and forest green caps. These caps are fairly small and I was wondering should I make an entire batch of color flow icing to get this completed. I'd really like to get this done this weekend to allow plenty of time for the caps to dry completely.

ntertayneme Posted 14 May 2005 , 8:25pm
post #4 of 9

hmmmm if you made the maroon a little more red after you're finished with it, you may be able to use the colors to make some rainbows to put on cakes ... I looked around for pictures of color flow images .. I found this page that had some links and some ideas for color flow... didn't have a lot, but maybe it'll help some http://members.nuvox.net/~zt.proicer/cakepict/colorflo.htm

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 14 May 2005 , 9:35pm
post #5 of 9

First, pease tell me this is a typo:

Along the top will be the word: "Congradulations"...

If you make a whole new batch, or even half of one, maybe you could also make some cupcakes and use the extra color flow for them, cupcakes are always fun and appreciated! Janice

ntertayneme Posted 14 May 2005 , 9:38pm
post #6 of 9

Congratulations ... correct spelling

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 15 May 2005 , 12:34am
post #7 of 9

Hi jonmarmar,

Color flow will last for approximately one year according to Wilton if placed in an airtight container. No refridgeration need. Hope this helps.

By the way, please post your picture so that we can see what sounds like a beautiful cake.

jonmarmar Posted 15 May 2005 , 2:13am
post #8 of 9

Oops, it was a typo icon_biggrin.gif I'm usually more carefull than that, and I'm glad you caught it.
Since I hadn't made the cake yet, just the caps, I did some placement on the bottom of the cake pan I'll be using and it turned out that the caps are too big for what I'm trying to do. So I found a smaller pattern of a graduation cap in one of Wilton's yearbooks (199icon_cool.gif and made another batch of color flow icing...I'm VERY proud of how the maroon came out, I really struggled with this color and it came out perfectly.
When I finish the cake I'll most definitely post it! thumbs_up.gif

ntertayneme Posted 15 May 2005 , 2:19am
post #9 of 9

Great jonmarmar!! We can't wait to see it! Good luck w/it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%