Inserting Stick Into Cookie???

Baking By whaley_s Updated 16 May 2007 , 4:49pm by giovanna

whaley_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whaley_s Posted 9 May 2007 , 5:39pm
post #1 of 21

Ok, after reading another post I see that you put the stick in as soon as the cookie comes out of the oven... I feel like a fool thinking that you insert pre cooking!! icon_redface.gif

So is it right that as soon as the cookie comes out I stick the stick in?!?

Thanks!! I've never done this before!

20 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 9 May 2007 , 5:42pm
post #2 of 21

It depends on the cookie. I usually put the stick in BEFORE it bakes. I think it adheres to the cookie better. I also know for certain that the cookie is thick enough to support the stick.

JRAE33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JRAE33 Posted 9 May 2007 , 5:46pm
post #3 of 21

You're not a fool...you can do it either way. I always put mine in before baking. It takes up more room on the cookie sheet, but that doesn't matter to me.

From what I understand you have to be quick if you do it after they come out and you have to be careful as clearly the cookies are hot.

HTH. Jodie

Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 9 May 2007 , 6:08pm
post #4 of 21

Another silly question - what type of sticks are you using that are fine to go in before baking?

I'm wanting to make my first batch of cookies on a stick, lol!

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 9 May 2007 , 6:14pm
post #5 of 21

The paper treat sticks, lollipop sticks, and some are labeled cookie sticks.

Since they are only in the oven a relatively short time, they won't catch fire.

girltrapped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
girltrapped Posted 9 May 2007 , 6:18pm
post #6 of 21

Ooooh my gosh! icon_eek.gif I was just trying to find out this information on another post! I love all my fellow cc'ers...we are always on the same page.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 9 May 2007 , 6:19pm
post #7 of 21

I think everyone does it different. I insert my sticks prior to baking. I use Wilton's lollipop sticks and they also have "cookie sticks" which are thicker. They also come in different sizes which is nice for cookie bouquets. I have my taller cookies in the back and gradually have them get shorter in the front.
Jacqui

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 9 May 2007 , 6:22pm
post #8 of 21

I've taken the Wilton Cookie Blossom class and a cookie class at an independent store. In both cases, we were taught to insert a wooden cookie stick (like a skewer) into the cookie before baking it. I have done this many times at home and it works wonderfully. Neither recommended the paper sticks, because some cookies are too heavy for that type of stick. I have never used those except for making lollipops. Maybe I should try a batch in reverse and see which works better.

The_Parsons_Wife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Parsons_Wife Posted 9 May 2007 , 6:26pm
post #9 of 21

I did a cookie tutorial on my blog a few months back...I use the thin stir sticks from Starbucks (they are happy to share) and insert before baking. Blessings, Shawn <><

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 9 May 2007 , 6:34pm
post #10 of 21

I insert Wilton lollipop sticks prior to baking.

MandyE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandyE Posted 9 May 2007 , 6:38pm
post #11 of 21

I also use lollipop sticks and have done it both ways. I've always wrapped my sticks (all that is not in the cookie, obviously) in foil and I didn't have any when I did my cookie bouquets for the teachers the other day, so I put them in as soon as they came out. I agree with JoAnnB, it seems to just 'stick' better when you put it in before.

And, after reading this thread, I'll skip the tedious foil wrapping! Thanks guys! icon_biggrin.gif

whaley_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whaley_s Posted 9 May 2007 , 6:46pm
post #12 of 21

Phew!! Glad to hear that it's normal to put the stick in pre baking!! I thought I was going to get laughed at!! Hehehe! Looks like I'll be doing this tonight! I'll let you all know how it goes!

Thanks again!

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:15am
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Parsons_Wife

I did a cookie tutorial on my blog a few months back...I use the thin stir sticks from Starbucks (they are happy to share) and insert before baking. Blessings, Shawn <><

What's your blog? Do you have a link?

funfoodie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funfoodie2 Posted 16 May 2007 , 3:14am
post #14 of 21

I came to look for this specific topic as I'm trying to do some tonight too! lol I had also read various posts about before/after sticks, so I'm ready to take to next step...now if only the dang butter would get soft! icon_biggrin.gif

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 16 May 2007 , 3:22am
post #15 of 21

I'm an insert "after baking" kinda gal! I can bake 2x as many cookies at once because there are no sticks during baking (a must when you bake as many as I have at one time), and I insert skewers or the flat coffee stirer sticks from the coffee house, immediately after baking! If you use skewers or coffee sticks, you can roll your cookies MUCH thinner than if using other sticks. Also, I use the coffee sticks from Boston Stoker, they are much stirdier than those at Starbucks....but that may vary from coffee house to coffee house! Use the sturdiest ones you can find!

mom2c-m Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2c-m Posted 16 May 2007 , 4:10am
post #16 of 21

WHen you guys say "skewers" do you mean those long, flimsy skewers you would use for shish kabobs? Or are there skewers made for cookies somewhere?

TIA

Torte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Torte Posted 16 May 2007 , 6:03am
post #17 of 21

I have tried them either way and like them both, don't really have a favorite. MandyE why do you wrap them in foil? Is it so they won't break easy? Always looking for new tips.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 16 May 2007 , 7:12am
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torte

I have tried them either way and like them both, don't really have a favorite. MandyE why do you wrap them in foil? Is it so they won't break easy? Always looking for new tips.

I think she was saying that she wraps the part of the stick that is sticking out of the cookie before baking to protect the stick from the heat. (sort of like you wrap the plastic handle of a saute pan when making a fritata in the oven)

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 16 May 2007 , 11:01am
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2c-m

WHen you guys say "skewers" do you mean those long, flimsy skewers you would use for shish kabobs? Or are there skewers made for cookies somewhere?

TIA

I just bought a package of skewers (yes for shis kabobs) at Dollar Tree store that looked much thicker than the ones I've had lying around in my drawer. I thought I might give them a try with cookies ... but, I haven't done it yet, so I cannot report.

MandyE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandyE Posted 16 May 2007 , 3:56pm
post #20 of 21

Torte - exactly what redpanda said, I wasn't sure if they would burn up in the oven. I use the lollipop sticks that are paper-like. I wasn't sure if they would be ok if they weren't wrapped in foil, but now, thanks to this thread, I know I won't need to wrap them anymore. Yeah! icon_biggrin.gif

giovanna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giovanna Posted 16 May 2007 , 4:49pm
post #21 of 21

I always insert the sticks before baking, I never realized that people did it after, I would be afraid that the cookie would fall off of the stick if I did it after. I assumed that before would allow the dough to fully envelope the stick.

I also use Wilton's lollipop sticks, I find the actual cookie sticks to be too thick and skewers to be too pointy for the kiddos.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%