Starting A New Cake Business From Scratch

Business By Peony6312 Updated 24 Jan 2006 , 7:40pm by surfergina

Peony6312 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peony6312 Posted 2 Nov 2004 , 5:08pm
post #1 of 7

I am interested in knowing how to start a cake business from my home. I want to build a small building beside my house but I don't know what kinds
of equipment is required. Does everything have to be commercial?

6 replies
GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 2 Nov 2004 , 7:59pm
post #2 of 7

It simply depends on where you live. It varies greatly from state to state and even from county to county within the same state. For instance, in NC you contact the Dept of Agriculture unless you live in Mecklenburg County, then you contact the Board of Health. Or at least that's how it was when I lived there.

First contact your local Business Licensing office and Dept of Agriculture (in many states) or Department of Health. They will be able to get you going in the right direction.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 2 Nov 2004 , 11:44pm
post #3 of 7

...like cali4dawn said, it really varies in each area. Where I live (the middle of nowhere!!), it doesn't have to be a separate building, just an area that can be completely closed off from the rest of your home, especially if you have pets. The equipment does not have to be commercial, unless you choose to buy commercial stuff. They are more concerned about the way the items are prepared and stored. Be ready....some places want all formulas ( what we refer to as recipes) written out, step by step, starting with "Wash and sanitize hands". The health dept may even want to come and watch you prepare something to make sure the proper steps are taken. It is suggested that you keep a log of your clients. Our county likes to see a separate refrig, only used for the business, with a thermometer inside in plain view. Also separate storage area for utensils and ingredients. These are just some things to start considering as you get ready to start your business. You should be able to get a copy on the Department of Agricultures rules and regulations, for your area, online. Hope this helps! Happy baking! Missey

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 7 Nov 2004 , 9:19am
post #4 of 7

icon_smile.gif I just built a seperate building for my bakery. The cost was about $7500, not including the equipment. I already had the equipment from my previous bakery. I had bought some property that had a house on it but did not want customers in my house, that is my private domain. Where I live I did not have to have all commercial equipment, however I was required to have a 3-compartment sink, a seperate hand sink, a vent-a- hood for over the ovens, fire extinquishing, etc. I use stainless prep tables, have seperate freezers and refrigerators and proofers. I have a seperate water heater for the bakery. I do not have restrooms as I am not selling retail items from my shop. I strickly do custom orders and they just pick them up, or I deliver. I use stainless bakers racks for dry storage, and stainless shelving for food items. I have a seperate area for all my cake decorating stuff, which we put in peg board covering the decorater area, this way I can hang alot of stuff. I made sure I had plenty of additional counter tops in case I had more then one project going. As the others have said you'll have to check in your area for the requirements, but planning is crucial. Its a big step to start a business, just make sure you have all your ducks in a row. It would be a shame to go to the expense of building a place and find out later you can't do it. Check your zoning ordinances also. Lots of Luck to you.

surfergina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
surfergina Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 3:12pm
post #5 of 7

Hi Cupcake, thanks for the tips. How big is your business? Square feet? Are including electricial and water lines are expensive? Could you give me the estimation? I'm planning to build mine's in North Carolina this summer.

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 7:25pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcake

icon_smile.gif I just built a seperate building for my bakery. The cost was about $7500, not including the equipment. I already had the equipment from my previous bakery. I had bought some property that had a house on it but did not want customers in my house, that is my private domain. Where I live I did not have to have all commercial equipment, however I was required to have a 3-compartment sink, a seperate hand sink, a vent-a- hood for over the ovens, fire extinquishing, etc. I use stainless prep tables, have seperate freezers and refrigerators and proofers. I have a seperate water heater for the bakery. I do not have restrooms as I am not selling retail items from my shop. I strickly do custom orders and they just pick them up, or I deliver. I use stainless bakers racks for dry storage, and stainless shelving for food items. I have a seperate area for all my cake decorating stuff, which we put in peg board covering the decorater area, this way I can hang alot of stuff. I made sure I had plenty of additional counter tops in case I had more then one project going. As the others have said you'll have to check in your area for the requirements, but planning is crucial. Its a big step to start a business, just make sure you have all your ducks in a row. It would be a shame to go to the expense of building a place and find out later you can't do it. Check your zoning ordinances also. Lots of Luck to you.

Cupcake - this sounds like a dream of a workplace/area!! Is there any possiblity that you could post some pictures of it??? Pleaaassseee??!!! icon_lol.gif It would be so helpful to see your set up, and inspirational, too! icon_biggrin.gif

surfergina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
surfergina Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 7:40pm
post #7 of 7

Yes, pleeeeaaasee, show us your pics! Where can I find a blueprint plan for my husband to build?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%