Mason's Bakery

Decorating By conchita Updated 14 May 2005 , 2:46am by veejaytx

conchita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
conchita Posted 13 May 2005 , 11:33pm
post #1 of 7

hello i was wondering if someone owns this video from AMAZON'S BAKERY id the alternative to rolled fondant. i am thinking about buying it but I want some opinions. thanks icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 14 May 2005 , 12:39am
post #2 of 7

Hi Conchita, I have this video, and it is pretty good, but I can't remember the price, if this is the $49.95 one, no I don't think it was worth it.

The decorator uses the pre-made non-dairy icing (has it in like a 5 or 10 gal container). He puts it on very thick, and uses the clear plastic strips (buy at Sugarcraft.com or KopyKakes.com on a roll) to smooth and shape his cakes. He doesn't do a lot of decorating, which is where I was disappointed. He does make it look easy, and a lot of his ideas are good, so I'm torn between liking it and not liking it!
LOL not much help to you am I?

He only decorates two cakes, puts fresh flowers on a 3 tier, and shows one with BC flowers, but he doesn't do them for you to see. Hope this helps a little! Janice

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 14 May 2005 , 12:43am
post #3 of 7

I also have this DVD and it cost $49.95 to get... realistically, you can hardly find the icing he uses and it doesn't last for long for people like the majority of us that don't do a lot of cakes all the time. This man probably makes 40-50 wedding cakes a month, if not more... his technique is really good, but it would take a lot of practice to perfect. Like veejaytx said, I'm torn to say I like it enough to recommend it .. He doesn't show you how the decorated with the roses he made .. he only shows you with fresh roses that he sticks straight into the cake.. I just don't feel it's worth $50 (more with shipping).

conchita Posted 14 May 2005 , 1:48am
post #4 of 7

thanks for the reply i was thinking about buying it but i do think is a lot o money. well i guess i wont be able to see what he does icon_sad.gif thanks

veejaytx Posted 14 May 2005 , 2:07am
post #5 of 7

Well, I don't think he really does anything much different from what we are learning, it is a matter of the products and the tools he uses. Using that non-dairy icing, it is light and fluffy, and easier to work with than some other icings. He uses a spatula to apply and smooth, and a spackling knife, which is wider than a spatula, to finish smoothing. The Klear strips he just cuts into small strips, bends them to scrape and smooth and round the top edges.

One tip he did give that was good is to push your plate (on a tiered cake) down into the icing crumbcoat a little bit, then from the top layer of icing, scrape off some of the icing in the center of the plate so that it doesn't squash out around the sides when you add the next tier (it gets icing on it when you are smoothng). Also, he uses a divider plate that is an inch smaller than his next cake tier, so that you don't have a gap between the tiers (somebody else has a question about this just tonight). This is about the most I got out of the video, and if it is clear as mud, I apologize, but I really don't believe it is worth $50, and I almost sent it back to them, probably should have! Janice

conchita Posted 14 May 2005 , 2:15am
post #6 of 7

thumbs_up.gif thank you so much

veejaytx Posted 14 May 2005 , 2:46am
post #7 of 7

You're welcome, and I hope that wasn't too confusing! Janice

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%