Kids Decorating Contest!?!?!?!

Decorating By Helendelk Updated 29 Nov 2006 , 3:46am by nglez09

Helendelk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Helendelk Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 6:36am
post #1 of 52

I think we should let the kids get in the kitchen and have a kids contest....
They have to bake it themselves with adult guidance... And totally decorate it themselves NO HELP by the parent on that part except how to make it and maybe roll and cut the fondant if thts what they choose to use.. Come on Let the kids show us what they got! Is it ok to put a poll on this and see how wel it rates with everyone?? So come on Jackie or Heath or Whomever sets this stuff up..... Please I think it would be great to see what the kids of all these creative decorators can do..... icon_biggrin.gif

51 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 11:49am
post #2 of 52
spottydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spottydog Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 11:51am
post #3 of 52

What a cute idea......Here's to messy kitchens! icon_smile.gif

caboose_970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caboose_970 Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 12:04pm
post #4 of 52

Oh this would be fun... All my kids have grown up except one and there is no way I could get him to bake...lol.. he thinks it is no fun... he is only into eating (teenager).. But I would enjoy watching what everyone elses kids do..

Doug Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 12:07pm
post #5 of 52
spottydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spottydog Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 12:08pm
post #6 of 52

LOL

pinkopossum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkopossum Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 12:12pm
post #7 of 52

that's cute Doug, lol

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 12:26pm
post #8 of 52

I think it's a great idea. My kids are all grown but I'd love to see what others come up with.

Doug Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 12:29pm
post #9 of 52
carrielynnfields Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carrielynnfields Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 12:34pm
post #10 of 52

FANTASTIC idea. My Middle son and my oldes would totally dig it! I say ALL IN! Let's do it!

Liis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liis Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 12:35pm
post #11 of 52

what a great idea. thumbs_up.gif

shannonmp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannonmp Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 12:38pm
post #12 of 52

I Love This Idea!

emilykakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilykakes Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 12:46pm
post #13 of 52

I love this idea!!!

Helendelk Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 6:34pm
post #14 of 52

LOL Doug !! Your so funny!.....

If you don't have kids maybe a niece or nephew or a nieghbors kid....

My god-daughter said , "They so need to do that cause us kids can make coool cakes, I bet some can do better than yours " icon_surprised.gif Thngs kids say! She is 11 so getting to that age of SMART-BEEEEP ..HAHAHAH
Can't wait to see if they allow us to have one But I wonder how to get it started? Anyone know? Or do we just need to get in touch with Jackie?

imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 8:26pm
post #15 of 52

I have three kids who would ALL love to make their own cakes! They have helped me in the kitchen since they were old enough to sit up on the counters. Whether it was tearing lettuce leaves for salad, or putting ingredients in the bowls, they all love every part of it. And, like Doug (And me at their age), they have a VERY hard time with the cleanup help! Now, we are all cake fanatics and they love to make up their own designs. My oldest is 10 1/2 and wants to take the Wilton classes as soon as she's old enough.

This is a fantasic idea for a contest, Helendelk! Thank you for suggesting it! I really hope it happens! thumbs_up.gif

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 8:42pm
post #16 of 52

I think it's a great idea, but if we do it, I think we should have age categories like under 5s, 5-8, 9-12 and 13+, just to make it fair and easier to judge. I mean it wouldn't be fair to compare a cake my 4 year old did with one my 14 year old did - Just my 2 cents!

Edited to say: Perhaps for the younger kids (8 and under), we could have the exception to the baking part - and just let them decorate a pre-baked cake. I wouldn't want my youngest messing around with ovens, but she would have a blast decorating a cake!

naotter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
naotter Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 9:04pm
post #17 of 52

I think this is a great idea - my kids bug me ever time I have to make a cake wanting to make there own. And then I always have to bake an extra cake for them to decorate icon_biggrin.gif

Helendelk Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 10:10pm
post #18 of 52

Yeah the age group is a great idea but didnt really know what ages to put into catagories.. I hope that let us do this.. I just dont know who to contact.... ANyone has any ideas feel free to suggest or whatever... I just think it would be really fun and so cute to see these little minds be creative...

SLK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SLK Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 10:25pm
post #19 of 52

Great topic! I have often though that a gallerie for just kids cake photos would be great. My 7 year old (8 next week) did most of the work on our Mothers Day cake and she was so proud of it - and I was proud of her. Today, she spent two hours in the kitchen just working with left over mmf. Often times she will just asks to get on cc to look at pictures and get ideas.

A contest would be great - and a gallerie just for them would be continuous.

imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 11:32pm
post #20 of 52

I don't know if we're doing this the right way or not. Maybe a moderator can advise us.

I love the idea for a kids gallery SLK! You're right, it would be a continuous thing! thumbs_up.gif

I think an under/over 9 year old split would be good for a contest.

Doug Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 11:47pm
post #21 of 52
Helendelk Posted 5 Jun 2006 , 1:24am
post #22 of 52

This all sounds great keep the comments coming!! thumbs_up.gif

tgirl22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tgirl22 Posted 5 Jun 2006 , 2:31am
post #23 of 52

I think this is an excellent idea (and I am all for splitting them into age groups), and I actually emailed CC about it right after I joined. I never heard back.....maybe if enough people are interested though, it just might happen!! Keep the votes coming!

Heath Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heath Posted 5 Jun 2006 , 4:09am
post #24 of 52

Ok everyone, I hate to be the party killer, but I have to be.

Yes this is a great idea. however, what I don't think people realize, is the programming that goes into our contests. We currently have a system in place to handle contests. Creating a contest that has restrictions on age, or even worse, groupings into ages, requires additional programming, or else having to manually manage the contest entries.

Currently we have a massive list of programming that needs to take place on the site, so additions to the contest system would take awhile to get to.

As for manually managing the contest entries, well there is just no way for us to do that and get anything else done.

So let me leave it at this:

Yes it is a fun idea. icon_biggrin.gif
Yes it is a possibility someday. icon_biggrin.gif
No it can't be done soon icon_sad.gif

Thanks for putting the great ideas out there. We take note of them all and try to find ways to incorporate the best ideas into the future of the community. Please don't be discouraged when we cannot immediately implement them, it all takes time and planning.

Helendelk Posted 5 Jun 2006 , 5:35am
post #25 of 52

Well you sure do know how to BURST our bubbles....lol

DRATS!! Now what!? icon_confused.gificon_sad.gificon_confused.gif

carrielynnfields Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carrielynnfields Posted 5 Jun 2006 , 5:49am
post #26 of 52

Heath,

Would it be possible just to do a Gallery for kids??? I know it wouldn't be a contest but it would be a place for proud children and parents, Uncles, Aunts, Grandparents to display their creativity and it could be a great stepping stone. What do you think?

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 5 Jun 2006 , 5:55am
post #27 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrielynnfields

Heath,

Would it be possible just to do a Gallery for kids??? I know it wouldn't be a contest but it would be a place for proud children and parents, Uncles, Aunts, Grandparents to display their creativity and it could be a great stepping stone. What do you think?

i was wondering about that also...HEATH, WHAT DO U THINK? HUMM?

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 5 Jun 2006 , 7:16am
post #28 of 52

Yep, seeing as a contest is out of the question, a gallery would be a great idea - we could then put anything they make, cakes or cookies, in there. I know I always make a few extra cookies when I have to do a batch for my almost 4 year old to decorate - she loves doing it! She'll even make 'cookies' from Playdoh - the younger you get them the better, she'll be on my payroll for sure before too long icon_lol.gif

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 5 Jun 2006 , 11:03am
post #29 of 52

Great extraordinary idea!!!!!!!
Just told my daughter and she's thrilled!!!! She wants to start up now, told her to wait until it's annouced!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Lorris

Doug Posted 5 Jun 2006 , 11:52am
post #30 of 52

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%