Candy Melts - How Long Do They Last?

Decorating By MariaLovesCakes Updated 4 Jun 2006 , 7:40pm by MariaLovesCakes

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 3 Jun 2006 , 2:21pm
post #1 of 13

Hello, everyone! I am planning to make candy melt pops in the form of a centerpiece for a baby shower that's coming up.

How long do these last? I've made them before, but can't remember how long in advance can I make them.

Anyone?

12 replies
Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 3 Jun 2006 , 4:46pm
post #2 of 13

As long as they don't get warm, they should last for months.

LivinInABox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LivinInABox Posted 3 Jun 2006 , 5:30pm
post #3 of 13

Wilton's site says that they will be good for 2-3 weeks. I have noticed that the colors fade after a few weeks and no i don't keep mine in the sun or any type of light for that matter.

MariaLovesCakes Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 2:30am
post #4 of 13

Excellent! Thank you for the info. Then I will start them next week.

Thanks a bunch!!! icon_biggrin.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 2:33am
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivinInABox

Wilton's site says that they will be good for 2-3 weeks.

Is it me or has anyone else wondered what happens to them when you heat them that makes them 'good' for 2-3 weeks. We keep the leftover candy melts between uses alot longer than that, don't we?

MariaLovesCakes Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 2:36am
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivinInABox

Wilton's site says that they will be good for 2-3 weeks.

Is it me or has anyone else wondered what happens to them when you heat them that makes them 'good' for 2-3 weeks. We keep the leftover candy melts between uses alot longer than that, don't we?

Yes, I have. I have left leftover candy melts for literally months and they are still good.
thumbs_up.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 3:02am
post #7 of 13

They will lose their shine after a week, but they taste just fine.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 2:00pm
post #8 of 13

I wonder if Wilton's 2-3 week time frame is just a safety to account for people who may not store the chocolate properly. Like many of you, my chocolate pieces stay good for months. If they lose their shine, I just hit them with a coat of confectioners glaze.

qtkaylassweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtkaylassweets Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 3:23pm
post #9 of 13

Candy Melts last forever!!! I have been using them for a long time now with no problems. I took a class on candy making from Wilton and the instructor said that she starts making her lollipops for her kids end of school year parties in March!! She said she then puts them in an airtight container. (because she has to make so many)

I myself, have made things a month or two in advance so I am ready with them for a "surprise" order.

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 3:33pm
post #10 of 13

Candy melts just as they are when you get them will not last forever. Maybe 2-3 months. If you want them to last forever then the best thing is to get a Food Saver and put them in your freezer. If you keep them too long unmade they won't melt unless add paramount crystals or you could try Crisco. Once made they do not loose their shine. You can keep them as long as you want. Chocolate that needs to be tempered does loose its shine. I made a huge heart box for a dear freind 5 years ago and she insists on keeping it and it still looks good.

qtkaylassweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtkaylassweets Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 3:37pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearlessbaker

Candy melts just as they are when you get them will not last forever. Maybe 2-3 months. If you want them to last forever then the best thing is to get a Food Saver and put them in your freezer. If you keep them too long unmade they won't melt unless add paramount crystals or you could try Crisco. Once made they do not loose their shine. You can keep them as long as you want. Chocolate that needs to be tempered does loose its shine. I made a huge heart box for a dear freind 5 years ago and she insists on keeping it and it still looks good.

Wilton states the candy melts are not to be put in the freezer.

They do last forever because when you go to the store to but them, how long do you think they have been sitting on the shelf??????

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 4:11pm
post #12 of 13

My response is based on the experience I have had with them. it may not be the same with everyone!! I don't use Wilton but Merkens. Does Wilton actually make their own or are they packaged somewhere else? I had to make over 2000 suckers and so they wer bought in bulk. Thew was enough left over so that they needed to be stored. After being told not to freeze them, I did it anyway and it saved me tons of $$$.

MariaLovesCakes Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 7:40pm
post #13 of 13

Thank you so much for all the responses!!!

I try getting CK products brand on these candy melts because they are cheaper. But sometimes, whoever is closer,that's where I go to buy them.

Thanks again!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%