Sam's Club Or Walmart Buttercream...any Good?

Decorating By girltrapped Updated 26 May 2007 , 5:57pm by hillmn

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 9 May 2007 , 11:44pm
post #31 of 96

It's worth it to buy it~ I just buy it when I have more then a few cakes to do. Like the next 2 weekends... DS bday, Mom's Day, Nieces Graduation, My folks 41st Anniversary, Nephew's bday, Best friends Bday. Tooo much stuff for May!! Glad June is just Father's Day & my DH bday! I bought the BCI so I can concentrate on making the MMF & color flow pieces. It's well worth it to me!

Hey, I didn't know Sam's sold CreamCheese icing too! Wow! I have to look into that one! I LOVE CCI!!!!! icon_smile.gif Does it need to be refrigerated? No way could I buy a bucket of it unless it can be frozen. I know I freeze my BCI all the time but don't know about freezing CCI~

Jsowards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jsowards Posted 10 May 2007 , 2:41am
post #32 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by girltrapped

When I "roughly" add up the cost of ingredients for one batch of buttercream, I come up with a rough estimate of $7 if I am using real butter. Does anyone know how many "batches" you would get out of 28 pounds?

I know a standard batch of homemade BC is 3 cups. I'm not sure how many cups are in the 28 pound bucket, but it's a LOT. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Jsowards Posted 10 May 2007 , 2:43am
post #33 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtd76

My special tool, snap the plastic , grab the pliers and pull hard. I usually have to have my DD sit on the bucket while I pull the tab so I don't jerk the bucket across the floor. My DH just stands back and laughs at us.

Cost wise, it is definitely worth it. Oh, the cream cheese icing they sell by the bucket is really good too!

Hahahaha! My husband just asked me what I was laughing at! I had a visual of that and could picture it exactly. Too funny!

Bev55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bev55 Posted 10 May 2007 , 3:01am
post #34 of 96

I don't want to sound ignorant, but do you purchase it from the bakery department? I've looked for it at Sam's Club, but it didn't dawn on me you would buy it from the bakery? Aren't they worried about losing business?
I did find a canned buttercream in the icing/cake mix section in Walmart. I believe it's made by Betty Crocker. I bought two cans, but I haven't tried it yet. I just love this site!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Bev55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bev55 Posted 10 May 2007 , 3:02am
post #35 of 96

Actually it was tubs not cans. Sorry! icon_biggrin.gif

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 10 May 2007 , 3:07am
post #36 of 96

I dont think they worry about loosing business. Sams makes mixes for businesses around where I'm from. My sister works for a cookie decorating place and Sam's makes all there frosting/cookie mixes for them.

girltrapped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
girltrapped Posted 10 May 2007 , 3:46pm
post #37 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkissdtears

Ok I don't have a Sam's card (we go to Costco) so can I get it at Walmart? Also do they have other sizes besides GIANT (56 lbs.)? lol

I called my Walmart and the lady in the bakery said they wouldn't sell it by the pound because they don't have a SKU number for it, but IF they had extra buckets they would sell ($25.00) to customers. Just thought maybe this would help for those without the Sam's Clubs!

JasonL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JasonL Posted 10 May 2007 , 3:59pm
post #38 of 96

All of this still doesn't answer the question. What is the price difference per a lb. with homemade and Sam's Club buttercream. Has anyone broke it down to a cost per a pound for each one.

juledcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juledcakes Posted 10 May 2007 , 4:04pm
post #39 of 96

hey guys here is some more information, sams sells their vanilla and chocolate buttercream, vanilla and chocolate whipped(bettercream), cream chees(yes it can be frozen but its sold at room temoerature), german filling, and white roll icing which can be used on danishs, turnovers and taste great on cookies. all of this stuff can be asked for in the bakery dept. you might have to call ahead of time to make sure they have enough. you can also buy some of the packing containers for cakes, as well as the gumpaste flowers, and buckets of colored buttercream. any other question feel free to pm me.

Dixiegal01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dixiegal01 Posted 10 May 2007 , 4:11pm
post #40 of 96

We love having a Wal Mart hook up, thanks for this great information, another fyi to make our life easier, I love it!

melsherard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melsherard Posted 10 May 2007 , 4:14pm
post #41 of 96

Sam's club is my great dicovery! They will pretty much sell you any of their supply that they use in the bakery for a very reasonable price! I work in a grocery store bakery, and the packaging is less than what we pay wholesale! I buy all of my cake boxes, cake boards, and icing there. You just have to go the bakery and ask for it, it is not out on the shelf. I really like the BCI they sell, it tastes pretty good, and makes great roses. Never pay retail again!!! The only problem is that they don't have 1/4 sheet packaging. I have to go to the local bakery supply store for that. I don't know about Costco, it wouldn't hurt to call them and find out if they sell their icing. I know they shrink wrap their cakes, so probably no packaging would be sold there.

hillmn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hillmn Posted 10 May 2007 , 4:14pm
post #42 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonL

All of this still doesn't answer the question. What is the price difference per a lb. with homemade and Sam's Club buttercream. Has anyone broke it down to a cost per a pound for each one.

Sam's/Wal-Mart Super Center sells the buttercream and bettercreme for about $1.00 a pound. I think you just need to add up all the ingredients you use to make your homemade frosting and determine how much per pound it comes out to be. Depending on what kind of ingredients you use, the price can be cheaper or higher (example: Sweetex vs. Crisco, grocery store powdered sugar vs. the fondant sugar).

melsherard Posted 10 May 2007 , 4:20pm
post #43 of 96

I know when I made my own icing, it probably made about 4 pounds.... ii probably cost about 8 bucks to make, so probably about 2 dollars per pound.... Sam's is 1 dollar per pound....

girltrapped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
girltrapped Posted 10 May 2007 , 4:22pm
post #44 of 96

I want to leave work and go shopping at Sam's Club right now! icon_cry.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 10 May 2007 , 5:12pm
post #45 of 96

my bc costs 5 bucks to make from scratch....and it ices a 9" double layer cake with minimum decorations......and with the sam's bucket o buttecream I can ice 20+ cakes........so that's what.......100 dollars to ice 20 cakes if I make my own....and I pay 26.56......definitely cheaper to buy it from Sam's!!!

StaceyA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StaceyA Posted 11 May 2007 , 11:32am
post #46 of 96

I stopped at the bakery at Wal-Mart yesterday and the lady in charge looked at me like I was crazy when I asked about the buttercream icing for sale in the 28 lb. tubs. She said that she had never heard of such a thing and that she didn't even have an SKU number for the tubs if she could sell them. I haven't checked with Sam's yet but will hopefully get by there this weekend.

I read earlier about this being a time saver for a CCer with small children. I have two girls and my two nieces stop by almost daily. They are 5,4,3, & 2 years old. The 2 year old and 4 year old are mine. The 2 year old is the most interested in cake decorating and calls the decorating bags "squeeze it." She's been told several times not to touch the bags when they are filled with icing, "Don't squeeze it." "But Mama, I want some squeeze it!"
Just thought I'd share.....

Jsowards Posted 11 May 2007 , 5:54pm
post #47 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceyA

I stopped at the bakery at Wal-Mart yesterday and the lady in charge looked at me like I was crazy when I asked about the buttercream icing for sale in the 28 lb. tubs. She said that she had never heard of such a thing and that she didn't even have an SKU number for the tubs if she could sell them.

I read earlier about this being a time saver for a CCer with small children. I have two girls and my two nieces stop by almost daily. They are 5,4,3, & 2 years old. The 2 year old and 4 year old are mine. The 2 year old is the most interested in cake decorating and calls the decorating bags "squeeze it." She's been told several times not to touch the bags when they are filled with icing, "Don't squeeze it." "But Mama, I want some squeeze it!"
Just thought I'd share.....

I was told the same thing by all three of the Wal-Marts I called here in Jacksonville. I went to Sams. I'm so excited to learn that there is much, much more available to us from Sams (thanks juledcakes for the info! icon_biggrin.gif ) and can't wait for my next shopping trip. Now I just need a freezer to store this stuff in, or someone to split it with so I can have more options to choose from without the risk of them going bad.

That was me with the two little ones at home. Sounds like you have your hands full! Lots of kids right there within the family to be baking cakes for. You should get your sister/brother to repay you in frosting and other goodies from the Sams bakery! thumbs_up.gif

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 11 May 2007 , 10:30pm
post #48 of 96

No! Yuck! The ONLY grocery store icing I would ever think of using is Publix, but they charge $8.00 per pound for it, so I would have to be in a major time crunch to do that! I'll stick with my homemade meringue BC!

Stina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stina Posted 11 May 2007 , 10:47pm
post #49 of 96

I am especially happy to here about the cream cheese icing for sale. I love cc icing but really hate to make it. I wonder if the roll icing you were refering to would ice petit fors? I took a class that said you could use it - maybe I will just have to try it.

melsherard Posted 11 May 2007 , 11:41pm
post #50 of 96

I checked Costco today and they do not sell any of their icings.... so it is just Sam's...

Jsowards Posted 12 May 2007 , 6:08am
post #51 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

No! Yuck! The ONLY grocery store icing I would ever think of using is Publix, but they charge $8.00 per pound for it, so I would have to be in a major time crunch to do that! I'll stick with my homemade meringue BC!

Promise, your meringue BC recipe looks really yummy. Unfortunately I just don't have the time to do anything elaborate with two toddlers. Boy, I wish I did! I would love to make homemade icing all the time. I want to practice decorating worse than I want to make icing. Hence, the Sam's icing. icon_lol.gif One day though.....

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 12 May 2007 , 6:25am
post #52 of 96

just bought some today...cant wait to use it to see how it taste....no more making frosting for me....way cheaper too!

jrrn74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jrrn74 Posted 12 May 2007 , 12:29pm
post #53 of 96

i also checked with my local Costco, because i seriously boycott Walmart and Sam's, but Costco acted like they had never heard of such a thing!

Tawana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tawana Posted 12 May 2007 , 10:18pm
post #54 of 96
Quote:
Quote:

Promise, your meringue BC recipe looks really yummy. Unfortunately I just don't have the time to do anything elaborate with two toddlers. Boy, I wish I did! I would love to make homemade icing all the time. I want to practice decorating worse than I want to make icing. Hence, the Sam's icing. One day though.....

You're right Jsowards. I have a 3 year old and only decorate for friends and family. If I have extra time and simple decorations, I make homeade icing. But if I'm crunched for time---Sam's it is. They like the taste of it. thumbs_up.gif

funfoodie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funfoodie2 Posted 12 May 2007 , 10:53pm
post #55 of 96

I went and bought my first "tub". I used it on two cakes. One was for a good friend that has taste-tested my cakes since I started classes. She didn't even notice the difference in the frostings and here I thought my home-made was "da bomb". lol! icon_cry.gif

I have to say that this really was a time-saver this weekend. My son's baseball team ended up getting to the play-offs and he had 2 games last night (didn't get home until 10pm) and another game at 12pm today and I had a cake to deliver for a party yesterday at 5pm and another today that I delivered at 10:30am.

So, yes, I feel I cheated, but my clients were very happy with the cakes!
LL
LL

Donna8306 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donna8306 Posted 13 May 2007 , 3:00am
post #56 of 96

Hi everyone,
I am very new at this and am not sure if this is only a buttercream chat or not but*LOL* I have a question and hope maybe someone can help. Several years back I noticed in a magazine about a press or mold??? that you press onto fondant or something and it made strips that looks like different kinds of lace and then you could drape it on your cake. Does anyone know about this or know where I can purchase it?

karensue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensue Posted 13 May 2007 , 2:17pm
post #57 of 96

Try www.globalsugarart.com or www.elegantlacemolds.com.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 13 May 2007 , 3:27pm
post #58 of 96

Does anyone know the ingredients of the Sam's club BCI?

Thanks

Donna8306 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donna8306 Posted 13 May 2007 , 9:39pm
post #59 of 96

Thanks karensue!!!
This is what I was looking for thumbs_up.gif

party.gifparty.gifparty.gifparty.gifparty.gifparty.gifparty.gifparty.gifparty.gif

vrmcc1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vrmcc1 Posted 13 May 2007 , 9:54pm
post #60 of 96

I have worked at Weis and Walmart Bakeries. Both normally carry Rich's Brand Buttercream (which is very good) and you can buy it buy the pound if you don't need a full 28 lb bucket. They will also sell you anything else you need, boxes, sprinkles and kits. Also If you ask sometimes they will color the icing for you which is great with red and black because I find it hard to get those two colors a dark enough shade at home.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%