Question About American Terms

Decorating By nernan Updated 23 May 2005 , 11:13pm by nernan

nernan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nernan Posted 13 May 2005 , 11:04am
post #1 of 11

Is what you call Buttercream Icing what we call Royal Icing or are they 2 different things. We call Rolled Fondant Plastic Icing here.
It does get a bit confusing trying to work everything out.

10 replies
CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 13 May 2005 , 11:33am
post #2 of 11

No, they are two different icings. The buttercream has shortening and butter mixed in with the powered sugar and is used generally for icing the cake. The royal icing is made with egg whites and powered sugar and it used for flowers and things made ahead so that they are dry when you put them on the cake. Hope that helps!

Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 13 May 2005 , 2:58pm
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nernan

Is what you call Buttercream Icing what we call Royal Icing or are they 2 different things. We call Rolled Fondant Plastic Icing here.
It does get a bit confusing trying to work everything out.

This area might help you with Cake Decorarting Terms
http://www.ladycakes.com/CakeDecoratingTerms/cake_decorating_terms.htm

nernan Posted 14 May 2005 , 4:21am
post #4 of 11

Thanx for clearing that up,would you believe i have asked soooooo many people if they know of anyone who is into cake decorating, and i can't find anyone. Just to have someone show me "hands" on would be a massive step forward,books make it all seem so complicated.
icon_cry.gif

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 14 May 2005 , 5:20pm
post #5 of 11

Hi, there are several videos out on decorating that might help, at least you can see what is going on.

Wilton has some available, but probably the least expensive and pretty good quality is from www.cakesumake.com, which I ordered from eBay but I think you can get it from the website. It shows baking, filling, torting, icing, 14 styles of flowers, swags, ribbons, ruffles, basket weave, bugs. Has some recipes...lots of information.

Just an idea if you can't see firsthand. Janice

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 14 May 2005 , 5:22pm
post #6 of 11

Another thought on the videos. I don't know where you are, but your library might have videos! Janice

nernan Posted 15 May 2005 , 7:42am
post #7 of 11

I seem to be thanking people all the time, so again THANKYOU. I had never really thought of videos etc, and if anyones interested i'm in Australia so maybe American videos dont work here. I will scout ebay and see what i come up with.

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 17 May 2005 , 8:19am
post #8 of 11

A very good contact for Wilton Products is:

Bakery Sugarcraft
198 Newton Road,
Wetherill Park, NSW, 2164
Australia

Phone: 02 9756-6164
Fax: 02 9756-6165

Email - Sales - [email protected]
Web Site: http://www.bakerysugarcraft.com.au/

nernan Posted 20 May 2005 , 7:23am
post #9 of 11

Thanx for that Auzzi, i have them in my favourites but never thought drrrr.

ozecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ozecakemaker Posted 21 May 2005 , 11:51am
post #10 of 11

HI

I'm also in Australia and have done some cake decorating courses through Community College (NSW). There are also Cake Decorating Guilds in each state that have tutorials. Unfortunately I've never found any Videos or DVDs on cake decorating in our local libraries but there are usually quite a few books on sugarcraft etc.
I hope that this helps!!!

nernan Posted 23 May 2005 , 11:13pm
post #11 of 11

I too have looked at Tafe and adult ed but here in Tassie there isnt that much about, 1 class but its in Hobart 4 hrs away, have heaps of books so i will plod along on my own, wish my mother in law lived here.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%