Piping Gel

Baking By Grandmasue Updated 20 Jun 2005 , 4:56am by SquirrellyCakes

Grandmasue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Grandmasue Posted 13 May 2005 , 10:21am
post #1 of 7

I saw recently where someone said they made their own piping gel but I can't find the recipe. Can anyone tell me where I can find it?

Thanx,
Grandmasue

6 replies
CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 13 May 2005 , 11:42am
post #2 of 7

Check with veejaytx....there's another post about piping gel and she sad she made her own....I asked her to share the recipe on that post so maybe we'll hear from her.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 13 May 2005 , 8:03pm
post #3 of 7

Here it is again. From www.wrenscottage.com:

Piping Gel is a multi-purpose transparent gel that adds shimmering accents, colorful highlights, and sparkle to cakes.

Ingredients

2 envelopes (2 tablespoons) unflavored gelatin
2 tablespoons cold water
2 cups light corn syrup

Directions

Sprinkle the gelatin over the cold water in a small saucepan and let set for about 5 minutes. Heat on low until the gelatin has become clear/dissolved - Do not boil. Add syrup and heat thoroughly. Cool and store, refrigerated, for up to 2 months.

Add 1/2 teaspoon piping gel to one cup of thin consistency buttercream icing to produce smoother writing and printing and pointed leaf tips.

Janice

jovigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jovigirl Posted 20 Jun 2005 , 4:16am
post #4 of 7

Thanks for the recipe, Will try soon! Wish me luck icon_biggrin.gif [/b]

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 20 Jun 2005 , 4:34am
post #5 of 7

Haven't tried the recipe but I have had some feedback on it. Now it may work well if all you are doing with it is adding it to your buttercream to makes leaves and such. But what I have heard is that if you are using it for say a water look, apparently it separates and gets runny after a short period of time and drips. It doesn't set up like the Wilton or Ck piping gel does, at least not from what I am hearing. Apparently it has ruined a few cakes by bleeding over the sides and such.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 20 Jun 2005 , 4:45am
post #6 of 7

Mine sure hasn't started dripping, even out of the refrigerator for weeks it is not melting or thinning at all! I don't know why it would run or drip on a cake unless it was thinned down too much at the time it was mixed with other ingredients.

It is starting to mold a little since I haven't had it in the frig, so it will have to be thrown out. Janice

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 20 Jun 2005 , 4:56am
post #7 of 7

Well each time I have heard of this issue, it involved folks colouring it blue to use as a water feature on a cake. So it isn't an issue when in the container, but it was an issue when mixed with paste food colouring and used as a water feature. Like I said, I haven't tried it yet, but this made me leary of giving it a try. Piping gel in the small tub is between $5.39 and $5.99 here, so a cheap alternative would be nice. The folks I heard back from are not novice bakers either, which makes me think they made it up properly.
Just thought it might serve as a warning so folks can try it out ahead of time and not get a nasty surprise. The folks I heard from did up their cakes and the next day when they went to deliver, the gel was running. One of the ladies used it to write the birthday message which didn't set and ran also.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%