Mmf - Melting Marshmellows

Decorating By texagg00 Updated 2 Jun 2006 , 11:20pm by Crimsicle

texagg00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texagg00 Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 10:02pm
post #1 of 7

Hello - I made a fondant cake for the first time the other day and found that it was very sticky/gummy . I had a lot of trouble mixing the marshmellows and the sugar. I'm wondering if I didn't melt the marshmellows enough? Should they be melted to the point that they are very liquid prior to combining with sugar, or should the mixture be thick? Thanks!

6 replies
dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 10:07pm
post #2 of 7

I have made it about 4-5 times now and melt it to the point the marshmallows are very melted/liquid. I also grease the spatula that I use to stir them. Makes life a little easier!

newcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newcakelady Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 10:11pm
post #3 of 7

The mixture is very sticky and thick right after you mix it. Did you let it set for awhile before trying to knead it? I usually wrap mine in saran wrap and then put it in the fridge for about an hour and then microwave it for 10 seconds or so before trying to knead it. BTW, your fondant cake looks great!! Is that mmf? Your red is terrific, I know that was alot of work to get that color!!!

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 10:22pm
post #4 of 7

when it gets to the point where it has expanded and almost overflowing from the bowl and stretches like melted cheese on pizza, then that is soft enough..I use the Hook attachment to my KA counter top mixer at the lowest setting to mix the Marshmallow and sygar, but grease the bowl and spatula w/ crisco, but kind of give you mixer a little help by scraping the sides of the bowl once in a while. icon_smile.gif

texagg00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texagg00 Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 10:28pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks for the feedback! I did wrap the fondant in saran wrap and set it aside for a while before using it - that made it a lot easier to handle. The biggest problem I had was mixing the marshmallows with the powdered sugar. I think that I probably just needed to melt the marshmallows more (they were melted but the mixture was still thick and not very hot).

newcakelady, thanks for the comment on my cake! Yes, that's the one I made with the MMF. It took a lot of gel coloring to get the fondant to turn red - for a while I thought my husband was going to have a pink cake!

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 10:44pm
post #6 of 7

Definitely keep melting until you see virtually no whole pieces. You don't want to overdo it, though.
Then it's all about the kneading and sugar. I've had way more luck doing it by hand, but you definitely have to grease up! You can add sugar at any time, too, if it gets too sticky.
I think you did a great job on the star cake!!

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 11:20pm
post #7 of 7

I melt mine until it's totally liquidy. I pour the entire two pounds of powdered sugar out on the counter (on a piece of plastic for easy clean-up) and then make a well in it and pour the marshmallow in the center and just start rolling it around in the sugar, pulling more in from the sides. After a while, it's firm enough to handle (usually before all the sugar is mixed in) and then I let it sit overnight. Usually have to nuke it a few seconds to roll it out easily the next day.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%