Piping Gel

Decorating By AgentCakeBaker Updated 13 May 2005 , 8:57pm by veejaytx

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 13 May 2005 , 5:27am
post #1 of 10

Do you color piping gel the same way you color your buttercream icing? I need to make pool or ocean water and I think it would look real if I used piping gel instead of icing.

9 replies
veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 13 May 2005 , 6:44am
post #2 of 10

When I was looking at the Wilton Piping Gel it said you could add color to the gel, or you can also add the gel to icing to get a variation in colors. Janice

veejaytx Posted 13 May 2005 , 9:41am
post #3 of 10

Sorry, I didn't really answer your question. Yes you can color it just like BCI, according to the Wilton Piping Gel Package. They suggested blending the gel in with icing too, for more varied colors.

I put some of my homemade piping gel in with some chocolate icing recently, it sure did make it shiny. When I first made it I thought the homemade gel was too thin, but after being in the refrigerator it was more like rubber, but a few seconds in the microwave softened it up fine. I haven't used the store-bought piping gel as yet. Janice

CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 13 May 2005 , 11:35am
post #4 of 10

Janice, would you mind sharing yor recipe for your homemade piping gel?

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 13 May 2005 , 1:49pm
post #5 of 10

I'm also curious as to how you make homemade piping gel.

Winnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Winnie Posted 13 May 2005 , 2:39pm
post #6 of 10

Me too!!! Have never used piping gel but would love to try.

Sahmlock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sahmlock Posted 13 May 2005 , 3:14pm
post #7 of 10

The piping gel only needs a tiny bit of color.....i found that out when i did my fish cake.
good luck

veejaytx Posted 13 May 2005 , 7:28pm
post #8 of 10

The recipe is way down at the bottom of the list at http://www.wrenscottage.com/kitchen/recipes/

Piping Gel is a multi-purpose transparent gel that adds shimmering accents, colorful highlights, and sparkle to cakes.

Ingredients

2 envelopes (2 tablespoons) unflavored gelatin
2 tablespoons cold water
2 cups light corn syrup

Directions

Sprinkle the gelatin over the cold water in a small saucepan and let set for about 5 minutes. Heat on low until the gelatin has become clear/dissolved - Do not boil. Add syrup and heat thoroughly. Cool and store, refrigerated, for up to 2 months.

Add 1/2 teaspoon piping gel to one cup of thin consistency buttercream icing to produce smoother writing and printing and pointed leaf tips.

Be sure to follow the directions closely, my first attempt I stirred the gelatin too much while it was heating and got foam, so be sure to let it sit and absorb as it heats.
Janice

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 13 May 2005 , 8:42pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks Janice

If I get this next cake order I will definitely try the piping gel in the icing.

veejaytx Posted 13 May 2005 , 8:57pm
post #10 of 10

Hi AgentCakeBaker, as I said, it sure made this icing shiny (I used it as a background for the "sequins" on my MD cake) and several bakers have been asking about something that would give shine. Also, as thick as the homemade stuff set up in the refrigerator, it should work well for outlines for BCT, but I would think it would be best to try it in small amounts just as a test first.

The homemade is quite a lot cheaper than that purchased, and if everyone is like me they never have on hand what they need when they need it (just keep the gelatin pks on hand), this way it would be easy to "whip up" some gel. Janice

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%