Modeling Chocolate Or Fondant

Decorating By skylightsky Updated 3 Jun 2006 , 12:11pm by adven68

skylightsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skylightsky Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 7:44pm
post #1 of 13

For those who have used both...

How presentable were your cakes with each. What are the advantages of using modeling chocolate instead of fondant? I am going to attempt to cover a cake with modeling chocolate instead of chocolate fondant.

Just so we all know what we are comparing...

Modeling chocolate, as defined by Joy of Baking, is a pliable chocolate paste made from just two ingredients, chocolate and corn syrup. It has the texture of a tootsie roll or marzipan and is very easy to work with. It can be used to make ropes, braids, ribbons, ruffles, flowers, or leaves. Can be made with bittersweet, semi-sweet, milk or white chocolate.

Rolled fondant, as defined by baking911, is a soft playdough-like cooked sugar mass that is rolled out with a rolling pin, just like pie crust. It then is draped over a cake, smoothed while pressing into place and trimmed. It gives a smooth, soft matte and a porcelain-like finish

12 replies
Somethin-Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Somethin-Sweet Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 7:48pm
post #2 of 13

Personally, I use a mixture of 1/2 fondant and 1/2 white chocolate clay- works great and tastes good too.......people actually eat it instead of picking it off.

Emmers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emmers Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 8:00pm
post #3 of 13

I just made my first batch of modeling chocolate today but used candy melts instead. I haven't used it yet but it was so easy to make. I too would love to know what other people who have used it think ? My family hates when I use mmf so I'm trying to find something they will actually eat.

tonenia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonenia Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 8:55pm
post #4 of 13

1/2 fondant and 1/2 chocolate.... did you mix the two together ???

Somethin-Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Somethin-Sweet Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 8:58pm
post #5 of 13

Yes.........mix them up seperately, then kneed the two finished products together- very easy to work with.... icon_biggrin.gif

q2ggirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
q2ggirl Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 9:09pm
post #6 of 13

I an interested in using the 1/2 satin ice and 1/2 chocolate modeling to cover a cake that will be outdoors in hot humid Houston. Is it going to melt or should I just use 100% chocolate satin ice. Satin ice is the brand of fondant that I prefer for taste and easy of use. Thanks!!!!

tye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tye Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 9:22pm
post #7 of 13

i've been researching this very subject.. i was looking at another site about chocopan and everyone loves it and it was the first i read about mixing the clay and fondant.. my question is.. can you mix the clay with mmf??? and is the clay made from chocolate or the candy melts?? when i make the clay it usually is a bit greasy and doesnt roll out like dough like the mmf... i would love to mix them as well as the clay seems more forgiving and easier to work with not to mention tastey!

skylightsky Posted 3 Jun 2006 , 2:07am
post #8 of 13

When you mean CLAY are you referring to Modeling Chocolate?

Modeling chocolate is made with chocolate and corn syrup. I don't think it is made from tempered chocolate. Chocolate melts are tempered chocolate.

Tye, when you make your clay, are you following a recipe similar to the following?

The following MODELING CHOCOLATE Recipe is from Colette Peters

ingredients

* 8 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
* 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon light corn syrup

directions

1. Melt the chocolate in a metal bowl set over a pan of hot but not boiling water. Stir the chocolate with a wooden spoon until smooth, then stir in the corn syrup; the chocolate will stiffen almost immediately. Stir until completely combined. Transfer the chocolate to a sturdy plastic bag and refrigerate until firm.
2. Work the Modeling Chocolate with your hands until pliable. Hand-shape the Modeling Chocolate into flowers, braids or ropes. Or pat it into a disk and roll it out to the desired thickness by hand or in a manual pasta machine and use it to make ribbons or for cutting out shapes.

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 3 Jun 2006 , 3:11am
post #9 of 13

Sky, I just responded to another post of yours. The one you have here is close to what I use. I have a pasta attachment for my KA that I use. I don't think it gets as wide as a manuel though. Have you ever used the clay to decorate cookies with?

skylightsky Posted 3 Jun 2006 , 3:39am
post #10 of 13

I haven't used chocolate to decorate cookies, but I think I will.

I'm experimenting these next two weeks and playing around with the makeup and texture of fondant/buttercream/chocolate modeling, etc.

SOMETHING has to withstand the heat in July and August outside for longer than 2 hours. It just has to. If I have to use Royal Icing I will, but am trying not to head that direction. Temperatures are in the high 80's and will break 90 before the week is out and we're not even a full week into June.

Temperatures aren't as bad as in Arizona, New Mexico, California, but we have humidity and 100's in July.

tye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tye Posted 3 Jun 2006 , 4:57am
post #11 of 13

[quote="skylightsky"]When you mean CLAY are you referring to Modeling Chocolate?

Modeling chocolate is made with chocolate and corn syrup. I don't think it is made from tempered chocolate. Chocolate melts are tempered chocolate.

Tye, when you make your clay, are you following a recipe similar to the following?

skylightsky - i have made molding chocolate with both the candy melts and regular chocolate chips... both work great.. i was reading that some people mix half molding choc to half fondant and it makes a nicer pliable covering for the cake that tastes yummy... what i dont know is if anyone has ever mixed the molding choc with mmf... does that make sense??

spottydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spottydog Posted 3 Jun 2006 , 11:57am
post #12 of 13

I have used the molding chocolate by itself and it was very tough for me (due to it getting very sticky if I didn't work with it fast enough) So I opted for the half and half and worked out so much better. Good luch and be sure to post what you thought.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 3 Jun 2006 , 12:11pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylightsky

Chocolate melts are tempered chocolate.

Chocolate melts....if you are referring to candy melts...like Merckens....simply has a minute amount of cocoa butter and therefore do not need to be tempered.

I'm not an expert in tempering chocolate by any means, but that is to bring the temperature up and then back down before using...the exact temps I'd have to look up.icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%