Fondant Assistance Please!

Decorating By pastryjen Updated 8 May 2007 , 8:07pm by Amberslilzoo

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 8 May 2007 , 5:10pm
post #1 of 5

Just quickly, I started decorating about 10 yrs ago. About 5 yrs ago I put it on the backburner but now I am back. Way out of practice and can't remember everything I learned!

I made a last minute cake on the weekend for a neighbour with Choc. MMF. My cake wasn't level so I'm sure that had a bit to do with it but when I put the fondant on, there were some blemishes(?) around the top and then a few at the bottom. There were also some pleating(?) and I couldn't get the fondant to lie flat against the side at the bottom of the cake.

Was my fondant too dry? Would there have been a way to fix up the blemishes? What did I do wrong and what should I have done?

Thanks in advance for all your input and advice, I really appreciate it[/img]
LL
LL

4 replies
pastryjen Posted 8 May 2007 , 7:01pm
post #2 of 5

Bump!

Amberslilzoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amberslilzoo Posted 8 May 2007 , 7:06pm
post #3 of 5

I am not sure about the blemishes, it might have been that the fondant was slightly too dry??

As for the pleating, did you first frost the cake with buttercream - that helps my fondant stick better and leaves for a smooth look. I making sure that I gently work downwards on the cake with the fondant, pulling down slightly to be sure that it lays flat.

Sorry I don't have any other great suggestions! But that's what I have learned :p

pastryjen Posted 8 May 2007 , 8:02pm
post #4 of 5

I have a feeling I am just going to have to get a dummy and do a little practicing to get my groove back!

Amberslilzoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amberslilzoo Posted 8 May 2007 , 8:07pm
post #5 of 5

The cake looks beautiful though - just to add! Seeing as you haven't done it for five years it is a wonderful looking cake icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%