Help!!!! Michelle's Fondant Recipe???

Decorating By gregus28 Updated 8 May 2007 , 6:45pm by Renaejrk

gregus28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gregus28 Posted 8 May 2007 , 2:06pm
post #1 of 5

I have michelle's fondant recipe from this site. I'm not sure about 2 of the ingredients. It calls for 3 packages of gelatin--Is that unflavored gelatin?? and corn syrup---Is that light corn syrup? also, if i need it for friday how early can i make it? It says to store it in "oil painted" saran???? i don't have oil paints...any suggestions.

4 replies
dlp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dlp Posted 8 May 2007 , 3:12pm
post #2 of 5

i've never made this...but i think i can help with your questions

the gelatin......i belive it means three packages of non flavored gelatin....like the Knox brand

light corn syrup is what i believe you use...the dark would color it

the "oil painted" refers to taking a pastry brush and covering the saran wrap with cooking oil.....

and i would think...since it will be covered it would be fine to go ahead and make it now....

hope this helps

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 8 May 2007 , 6:31pm
post #3 of 5

Hello there! I'm actually the one that posted Michele's recipe. The answers above were right - plain knox gelatin, light corn syrup, and vegetable oil painted on saran (works better than crisco for this purpose). You can definitely make it now for later - it needs 24 hours to sit before you use it anyway. I have some fondant I made last week that I'm using for a cake today! It stays good quite a while. I refrigerate mine (after the original 24 hours at room temp) and then bring it to room temp when I'm ready to use it. I even freeze my leftover colored fondant (wrapped tightly) to use for later cakes, so I don't have to do as much coloring! Good luck and if you have any questions feel free to PM me!

gregus28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gregus28 Posted 8 May 2007 , 6:36pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks gals for all your help! This is such a wonderful site...its like having a personal baker. icon_smile.gif

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 8 May 2007 , 6:45pm
post #5 of 5

I know - it's awesome!! I've learned more here in the last 3 1/2 weeks than in the last ???? years of baking!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%