Help, How To I Ship A Cake To Jamaica?

Decorating By mamasota Updated 8 May 2007 , 1:30pm by kerri729

mamasota Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamasota Posted 8 May 2007 , 11:49am
post #1 of 5

I have a customer that wants me to make a naughty cake for her and ship it to Jamaica, it's for her sister's birthday. I have no Idea how to go about doing this. The cake she wants is a Tres Leches Cake, I was thinking of freezing it and maybe use fondant as the Icing, but if I use buttercream or some other icing, how can I package the cake so that it will not be damage by the time it arrives in Jamaica? I know that if we send it, we're going to send it overnight.

Can Any one Please HELP?

4 replies
momof5kiki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof5kiki Posted 8 May 2007 , 12:56pm
post #2 of 5

I woudl do a search on here, I know that someone on here ships cakes, but there are so many members, I don't know who it is. I do know that you don't want to use fed ex or ups. One person on here paid fed ex $90, and the cake showed up looking like they had thrown the box all over.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 8 May 2007 , 12:59pm
post #3 of 5

you might want to check what the customs laws are. most countries technically don't allow non-commercially prepared/sealed goods into the country due to the risk of it arriving with nasties that they don't want to deal with. Might not be an issue, and even if it isn't allowed it might not get caught, bu worth checking IMHO

and I suspect this is going to cost a fortune to ship something like that overnight.

good luck with it, though

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 8 May 2007 , 1:09pm
post #4 of 5

OH boy! I am so scared you are not going to be able to ship it. Everytime I tried to ship something to my husband in Iraq they always asked if there were any goods in the box because I couldn't send them.
I think it you ARE able to I would go with UPS because the story about Fedex is true! icon_sad.gif

I really hope you get to send your cake!

kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 8 May 2007 , 1:30pm
post #5 of 5

I would not use UPS or Fed Ex to ship to Jamaica........I order and ship things internationally for work all the time, and DHL is the best way to go........HOWEVER, as a person who was married in Jamaica and travels there often, I would check thouroughly if you can even ship this cake into the country. I could not even bring my wedding bouquet back, and I know that there are issues with food and plants traveling in and out of the country.....shipping may be different though.........maybe check with DHL or which ever carrier you choose.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%