Does This Sound Right?

Decorating By m0use Updated 13 May 2005 , 1:32pm by m0use

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 12 May 2005 , 6:11pm
post #1 of 19

I know that there have been a lot of pricing questions, and I did sit down and price everything for my costs, and even figured in labor. I also called my local grocery store and got a price for a 1/2 sheet cake, plain single layer (22.99, plus $5 extra for anything out of their book). But I am a little nervous and excited since this will be my second cake order, but it will be for a big event. And I need a little help/encouragment!
It's for a graduation party that will have over a 100 people attending, and she does not think there will need to be a lot of cake since there will be other desserts there. One of the cakes will have a raspberry filling in it, and she is not sure yet about the second cake filling wise. The one cake with raspberry filling in it will be my bride's white cake and the other cake she wants as a chocolate sheet cake
So here is a list of cakes that I am going to recommend to her along with prices, and then let her choose from there.
These prices are US Dollars
1) Double Layer 11x15
without filling: $40
with filling: $45
2) Double Layer 12x18
without filling: $50
with filling: $55
3) Double Layer 14" Round
without filling: $40
with filling: $45
4) Single Layer 11x15 $20
5) Single Layer 12x18 $30

Keep in the back of your mind, she has tasted my cakes before, so she must be sold on the taste- but I am still afraid that she might go elsewhere if the price is not right. (But you know I gotta be able to cover my butt in this cuz I really can't afford to lose a lot of money on this.)
I also plan on asking for half of the total cost down, not sure which part will be non-refundable yet if she cancels.
Help!

18 replies
AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 12 May 2005 , 6:26pm
post #2 of 19

What if you client wants a complex design? For instance, if she wants you to add edible pearls, fondant pieces, or anything else that requires extra time and money.

Are those prices for buttercream iced cakes only? If so I would mention that to your client since fondant takes a little more time and patience.

You should definitely ask for a non-refundable deposit. My contracts state that only $35 of the total deposit or 1/3 of the deposit is refundable.

m0use Posted 12 May 2005 , 6:29pm
post #3 of 19

Yes, these should be buttercream iced cakes only, since it is only for a graduation party.

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 12 May 2005 , 6:31pm
post #4 of 19

Then, your prices sound pretty good to me. I'm afraid of over charging as well since I'm just getting my feet wet.

Mchelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mchelle Posted 12 May 2005 , 6:37pm
post #5 of 19

Those prices seem okay to me for basic decoration. If there are more elaborate decorations, the price should reflect that. I think that you are on the right track to me.

TheCakeShak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeShak Posted 12 May 2005 , 6:58pm
post #6 of 19

icon_smile.gif Hello,,for my prices, if it is a half sheet to feed approx 40-60 people then I charge $70.00.
I mostly base my pricing in the proximity of $1.99 up to $3.99 per slice depending on what type of cake and complexity.
My wedding cakes start at $100.00 and go up to $500.00.

You also might want to check out some other cake web sites to give you an idea of what others are charging for pricing.

Have a nice day....... icon_wink.gifusaribbon.gif

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 12 May 2005 , 9:05pm
post #7 of 19

Compared to me--your prices are much less expensive. I did my matrix and for food cost alone on a single 12x18 it's $28.70!!!

I would seriously doubt that she will go elsewhere because of cost. My thought is that I charge what I charge. If you would like a $16 1/2 sheet cake that has been previously frozen for who-knows-how-long and icing that comes out of a 5 gallon bucket and that has only taken about 10 minutes to prepare--go to Costco and get one.

This is a bit harsh--yes--but I do my cakes because I love to do them. I charge $67 for a 1/2 sheet and not one person has ever balked at the price. They have tasted my cakes and know it's worth every penny.

As far as you "losing a lot of money on this", you should be losing ANY money. My general rule of thumb is that they need to put down a deposit that will cover my food costs. That is non-refundable if cancelled less than 72 hours in advance. By that time, I have already purchased my ingredients.

I also have them give me a deposit for my board of $15. This is totally refundable if the board is returned, cleaned, within 5 days.

HTH and congrats on your order!!!

Lisa

lastingmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lastingmoments Posted 12 May 2005 , 9:20pm
post #8 of 19

Im with you,
im still scared about charging alot but the more i work the more i see that they are coming for a reason to get a great cake, taste and design. And if they wanted a generic cake that everyone else is gonna get they would just go to the local bakery.

gilpnh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilpnh Posted 12 May 2005 , 9:27pm
post #9 of 19

I frequently go by the "1/3" Rule

*Your cost for ALL ingredients x3, 1/3 supplies, 1/3 Labor, 1/3 Profit.

If it seems a little low to me then I up the price some. Heather

m0use Posted 12 May 2005 , 9:28pm
post #10 of 19

Thank you everyone with your replies. I have to call the girl and sit down with her and her mom and discuss what she wants. I will definetely let people know what happens.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 12 May 2005 , 9:59pm
post #11 of 19

Gosh m0use, I charge $30-$35 for a SINGLE layer 11 x 15 and $40 for a SINGLE layer 12 x 18 sheet cake. Fillings are $5 more. If I double layered these cakes, I'd have to almost double the cost; otherwise, I'd make no money off of it.

ashianadotkom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashianadotkom Posted 12 May 2005 , 10:01pm
post #12 of 19

hi llj68

i feel the same way!!!!!!!

ashianadotkom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashianadotkom Posted 12 May 2005 , 10:20pm
post #13 of 19

One of my friends also told me if your total cost (ingredients,gas etc)is let's say $10.00 you mutiply that by 4a nd that should be your cake price.
Now that's great coming from someone who is my regular customer.
I had a neighbor come in for a cake order ask me how much i sell makes cause she needed a plain wedding cake for her daughter.
When i told her the price for one of my cakes she asked me "that's the price the whole wedding cake" which was by the way less then $30.
I knew then i was not going to lower the quality of my cakes to give her the special price she wanted
i told her she should go try costco or kroger .
i don't have any regrets.

momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 12 May 2005 , 10:34pm
post #14 of 19

sounds good to me mouse! kinda depends too,where do you live?

for 1/2 sheet, 11x15, i am charging 45.00... that is with regular pudding filling...
for 8'' its 25.00
and 6'' 18.00

does that sound ok to you guys?

CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 13 May 2005 , 12:13am
post #15 of 19

I think your prices sounds great!! And remember, if they walk, then it wasn't meant to be.....you don't want to lower your prices because when cakes are good, people talk and you don't want people coming to you expecting to pay next to nothing for a great cake! I'm with the others, they can go to Wal-Mart or Costo if they want a cheap cake.

KrazyKross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrazyKross Posted 13 May 2005 , 3:26am
post #16 of 19

Mouse,

The prices you are talking about charging are almost identical to what I have been charging. I'm in an area with a Sam's Club and Wal-mart. I feel my prices are competitive, but I've also been told by many that because of my designs and work, I underprice myself. Oh well! At least I'm doing what I enjoy and I'm not losing any money. In fact, I'm still making a profit even if it is small.

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 13 May 2005 , 12:12pm
post #17 of 19

I think your prices sound real good...
And if you require 1/2 down.....that should be non refundable.....
Hubby and I do wedding photography...and we required $100 deposit...with the balance to be paid on or before the wedding day.....non refundable if the wedding was cancled ...
If you go out and buy the stuff with the 1/2 down money.... she shouldn't get it back.....that's your security blanket too....That's my opinion...what do you think?
cakegal

momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 13 May 2005 , 12:51pm
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakegal

I think your prices sound real good...
And if you require 1/2 down.....that should be non refundable.....
Hubby and I do wedding photography...and we required $100 deposit...with the balance to be paid on or before the wedding day.....non refundable if the wedding was cancled ...
If you go out and buy the stuff with the 1/2 down money.... she shouldn't get it back.....that's your security blanket too....That's my opinion...what do you think?
cakegal

i think that is great!

m0use Posted 13 May 2005 , 1:32pm
post #19 of 19

I will keep that in mind, thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%