I'm Done With The Biggest Cake For Me And I Have Questions!

Decorating By acookieobsession Updated 11 May 2007 , 2:35pm by loriemoms

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 8 May 2007 , 12:03am
post #1 of 12

I just posted 2 big cakes (well one big and one small, but same design).
The white 4 tier and the ivory two tier both with bows.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=494213
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=494183#next

I believe they turned out good, but I want to make then better. Specifically I want to make them better so I am not a nervous wreck thinking i made them wrong.

If you have answers to any question please chime in. All help is appreciated and desperately needed.

1. On tier cakes how big do you make the cakeboard under the smaller cakes?
I cut mine so there ended up being about 1/2" of just cake before the board. But then whenever I picked up I messed up the fondant on the bottom.

2. You can't see it in the pictures, but the fondant on the white cake is bumpy in spots. Is that caused by thin fondant, bumpy icing, thin icing, or all?

4. When you use the stress free support system and fondant. is your metal plate pressed down into the fondant or resting just on top?
Mine was resting just on top and when I put the cake (on a small board) on top it left a 1/2 gap between the cake below and teh ribbon ont eh top cake.

5. If you plan to attach a bow to each layer like that, would you attach prior to delivery (I had to assemble there b/c the drive so long). or would you attach there.
I used royal to attach prior to each layer. but when I got there the bows easily came off when i touched the top cake to the bottom.

6. I baked, refrigerated, iced, froze, then applied fondant. Thh next day one of the cakes had a crack in the fondant. I think it (MMF) was too dry, but could the humidty from the thawing cakes have damaged the MMF. Also, if the mmf seals in the moisture does that mean that my cakes got soggy when they thawed?
I refondanted the one that cracked and did it just when it was cold not frozen. IT turned out the best of all...perhaps cold is better?

Thanks for reading my novella and thanks for any and all answers!

Julia

11 replies
nutcase68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nutcase68 Posted 8 May 2007 , 12:27am
post #2 of 12

1.When I stack tiers I cut my cardboard the same size as my cake. Mind you I have only done it once, but that is how I do it.
2.I only did fondant in class. I am going to guess for all fo the above. My theory is if there is not enough frosting to smooth it on, it will be bumpy.
4.I love the way you count. I know nothing about the stress free system of doing anything.
5.Were your bows fondant, gumpaste or 50/50? If you used gumpaste glue they should have stuck right away like cemetn.
6.I doubt if your cakes got soggy when they thawed. I did not know you could freeze fondant. I always heard not to freeze or refrigerate it. Learn something new every day.

You have tapped the stores of my limited knowledge. This newbie hoped she helped you.

Mary icon_smile.gif

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 8 May 2007 , 12:46am
post #3 of 12

I do know the SFSsystem and love it. I would have had it had the plate down into the icing. So that when you stack the cakes they will be closer on each other no space.

acookieobsession Posted 8 May 2007 , 12:46am
post #4 of 12

Thanks Mary..

i used gumpaste for the glue (coastal living and all fondant just doesn't vut it down here). What do you mean by gumpaste glue? i used royal icing....

Thanks for the insight....Every answer helps.

Julia

nutcase68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nutcase68 Posted 8 May 2007 , 12:54am
post #5 of 12

Gumpaste glue is where you take about 1/4 tsp. of gumpaste and crumble it up in some water and let it disolve. You paint this on one of the two parts and hold til it sticks. Like you would when painting the water on fondant. Do not use to much otherwise it makes things mushy. Just enough to apply the glue. The glue will last either a week or a month, I cannot remember which, in the fridge. You can tell by looking at it.
Mary

acookieobsession Posted 8 May 2007 , 7:12pm
post #6 of 12

Thanks for the information on the gumpaste glue.

Does anyone else have any information on the bumpy fondant? Should I use more icing or thicker fondant (proably roll 1/8 inch thick). Or perhaps both?

I have finally managed to keep from getting the wrinkles at the bottom, so now I just want to make it smooth and pretty.

Thanks

julia

Amberslilzoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amberslilzoo Posted 8 May 2007 , 7:14pm
post #7 of 12

I honestly don't have any suggestions but your cake is GORGEOUS. Absoutely beautiful!!!

swingme83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swingme83 Posted 8 May 2007 , 7:24pm
post #8 of 12

i would say just make sure your icing was smooth to begin with and not to thick to where it would "smoosh" and be a bump when weight is applied.

Question for you: how do you get ride of the wrinkles at the bottom with fondant?

sweeteecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweeteecakes Posted 8 May 2007 , 7:25pm
post #9 of 12

i just wanted to say that your cakes are beautiful!

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 8 May 2007 , 7:28pm
post #10 of 12

if the surface you are covering isn't smooth, the fondant will never be smooth - it will only magnifiy flaws. I try to get the BC as smooth as though it were going to be the final coat.

acookieobsession Posted 9 May 2007 , 1:13am
post #11 of 12

Thank you all for the compliments....the camera really hides flaws on cakes I think icon_biggrin.gif

Jmt..how think do you roll your fondant then? I believe it is too thin. It does not tear but i can see every little thing.

Also, when you guys put the 2nd and higher tiers on, how do you get it up off the surface once it is decorated? I tried to use a large spatula, but that did not work out so well. I hate the drop and pray method..Mainly because I stink at it!

Thanks again,

Julia

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 11 May 2007 , 2:35pm
post #12 of 12

I think you cakes look great too!

You need to make sure your icing under the fondant is smooth as can be, just like as if you weren't going to cover it. Let is settle a little too before you put the fondant on, even let it crust. (I cover all my cakes first with buttercream and then spray them with a mist when ready to cover with fondant) especailly the filling will work better and no "lines" in the cake if you let it settle.

roll out your fondant to 1/4 inch. It is easier to put on the cake and to work with then any other thickness I have found. I bought some 1/4 inch molding at the hardware store and put it along side my fondant and let my rolling pin ride on it while rolling it out. This keeps it all very even!

I never ice, cover or work with frozen cakes. They will shrink on you. I don't even know how you would level a frozen cake, as its frozen! If I freeze the cake, I let it sit for about an hour in the plastic wrap to defrost a little. Or several hours in the fridge.

I use good old fashion vodka for all my glue and royal icing for heavier stuf. Never had anything fall off..yet! haha!

I use the SBS system and love it. I push the plates down into the fondant/BC. If the cake does rise above the bottom tier, then you can hide the space with royal icing/BC (just a ribbon if you don't want to do shells, etc)

Your cakes do look very nice!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%