How I Made The Crooked Fairy Cake...

Decorating By dailey Updated 16 Mar 2009 , 6:32pm by michelle0328

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 3:13pm
post #1 of 4

since i had many request on how i made the crooked fairy cake i decided to post them here since i would have no idea on how to type it out then send them out individually, not very good with computers! i basically followed the instructions from michelle (from another site), an *amazing* cake artist.

i'll try to explain this w/out confusing you all, hopefully it will make sense. i baked and decorated 3 cakes, a 10, 8 and 6 inch. i wanted it to be whimsical so i added alot of details, just depends on the look you want. then for the 2 white "cakes" with polka dots (they are actually dummies) i bought two 6 inch green styrofoam dummies and two 4 inch dummies. i took one of the 6 inch styrofoam and cut it at a slant then glued it to the other 6 inch one. then did the same for the 4 inch. let them dry, then cover them in fondant. so now you have your cakes and dummies decorated.

next you want to buy oak wooden dowells, you'll want to purchase 2 different widths, one the thickness of a pencil and one thicker, not sure of the exact measurements. i got mine from home depot, i know hobby lobby sells them as well but i don't think they are oak, i could be wrong though. i placed the 10 inch cake on my wooden baseboard (covered with fondant) with some icing underneath as "glue", then i cut 6 of the thicker dowells and stuck them in my 10 inch cake. (i cover all my wooden dowells with plastic wrap first). next, add some icing to the top of the ten inch cake, then place the 6 inch dummy on top. now used the skinnier dowells and sharpen with a pencil sharpner and hammer it through the top of the dummy, i used 3 of them. then you just repeat the procedure, put icing on top of the 6 inch dummy and place the 8 inch cake (make sure you put the thicker dowells in this one, i used about 5) on top of that and then hammer in the thinner sharpened dowells again, ( i used 3 again). and so on and so forth. you'll need someone to help you assemble the cake, my husband hammered the dowells in for me while i held onto the cakes. it's very helpful to have them covered in fondant so you don't mess up the icing.

so basically, the 10 and 8 inch cakes have thick dowells in them ( the 6 inch top tier doesn't need any) and then you pound in longer, skinner dowells as you go along. does that make sense? if not, let me know what i can clear up for you. make sure you put a cardboard baseboard underneath the dummy cakes and about 2 or3 glued together under the real cakes for support. the topper i made using white wire from hobby lobby, just shaped it into a "A" and then added the crystals. icon_smile.gif

3 replies
mjulian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjulian Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 2:29am
post #2 of 4

Do you have a diagram or scketch of the assembly of the cake? THANKS!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 4:29pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks for posting this dailey...I know it took some time and effort to write this!... If you ever have a diagram I want to see it too!
Edna

michelle0328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michelle0328 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 6:32pm
post #4 of 4

I think this cake is wonderful. I've been dying to try to make one of these and I think this is the inspiration-also you're directions are easy to follow, I have just one question. The thinner dowels that you hammer thru, are these going from the dummy tiers into the real tiers? That's the way I am understanding it, but just want to make sure.

Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%