Fondant Ballet Slippers - Help!

Decorating By bunnypatchbaker Updated 7 Feb 2016 , 8:00pm by Charmaine49

bunnypatchbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bunnypatchbaker Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 11:51am
post #1 of 52

I have an order for a cake with ballet slippers on the top. I have seen several in the gallery that have beautiful fondant slipper on the top. I would love to duplicate these but am having trouble making mine look right. Is there anyone who can give me some clues or is there a pattern available to help make this easier? I need some help!!!

Thanks!

51 replies
vixterfsu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vixterfsu Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 11:55am
post #2 of 52

Bunny,
A few days ago I gave this advice.
There are candy molds of slippers.
I used that as a guide.
I don't know how close you are to a candy mold
shop.

vixterfsu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vixterfsu Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 12:00pm
post #3 of 52
bunnypatchbaker Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 3:10pm
post #4 of 52

Thanks for the advice. I don't live anywhere near any kind of candy or cake supply stores. My only place to shop is at WalMart and you know how limited there selection is. I won't have time to order anything because the cake is for Sunday.

CakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeBaker Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 4:14pm
post #5 of 52

I'll try to attach the homemade pattern that I made for the gumpaste slippers on this cake: http://www.sugarcreations.com/BallerinaBirthdayCake.jpg
LL

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 5:42pm
post #6 of 52

I've been following this thread for days. I was gladly surprised to know you thru CC.Always have admired your talent and that cake is one of my favorites.Thanks for your generosity in providing many of us the pattern.

BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 6:20pm
post #7 of 52

Cakebaker
for the rim around the top of the slipper did you use a clay gun to form it? If not how did you get that effect? Thanks also from someone doing a ballet cake in 2 weeks. Also - how did you get the form to stay full - did you stuff the slipper with cotton to keep the shape while drying?

bunnypatchbaker Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 6:23pm
post #8 of 52

Thank you Thank you Thank you for the pattern! We were trying to make one of our own. This will be perfect for my cake!

CakeBaker Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 12:28am
post #9 of 52

BJ --- yes, clay gun for the string around the foot opening, and also yes on the cotton balls to hold the shape while it dries. You'll want to fold under a little piece all around the outside edge of the toe piece -- geez, that probably doesn't make sense -- let me try again. . . on the "toe" part of the pattern, fold under a piece about 1/8" wide all around the outside edge. That folded under part will go on the bottom of the sole. Dampen that 1/8" wide part with gum glue or water to attach it to the sole. HTH

BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 2:34am
post #10 of 52

Thank you. I'm still a little fuzzy on the 1/8th inch piece to fold around the toe part - is that to attach the toe section to the sole section? My local Michael's store just got in the pre-made gumpaste so I think I'm going to give it a shot this weekend. Thank you so much for your help! it's really appreciated.

CakeBaker Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 3:41am
post #11 of 52

Yes, that's where they attach --- underneath the sole -- so that it looks more natural.

LeeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeeAnn Posted 3 Jun 2006 , 9:39am
post #12 of 52

Just like to say cakebaker you have some magnificent cakes/ congratulations. I love your designs and everything looks superb.

surfergina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
surfergina Posted 3 Jun 2006 , 9:19pm
post #13 of 52

I'm learning....can you exactly tell me what's clay gun looks like? icon_redface.gif

beany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beany Posted 6 Jun 2006 , 9:07am
post #14 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAnn

Just like to say cakebaker you have some magnificent cakes/ congratulations. I love your designs and everything looks superb.

Yeah! Your cakes are beautiful CakeBaker!

karapags Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karapags Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 7:59pm
post #15 of 52

Thanks so much!!

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 4:29am
post #16 of 52

A clay gun is a small metal tube with discs to fit on the end. Look in Michael's where the fimo clay is. It's about $10. This isn't the best claygun, but will get you through.

You can make a gumpaste "glue" by pouring equal parts of boiling water over gumpaste and allowing it to melt. Then paint it on with a paintbrush.

I just tried a ballet shoe last week and it was so much easier once I found the glue recipe.

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 1:53am
post #17 of 52

If you do not have a clay gun, what would you suggest to finish off the shoe?

kellie0406 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellie0406 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 2:10am
post #18 of 52

lutie, a clay gun is pretty inexpensive, sold at Michaels, AC Moore etc. Can use the coupon too. Also, cakebaker, thanks so much for this pattern. I used it back in May to make one for my neighbor's daughter's dance recital. It was first try at ballet slippers & the cake was a hit. You are great for sharing this with the CC world!

nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 5:11am
post #19 of 52

Wow, what a neat ballet shoe cake. And I would love to have this pattern, but I dont know how to get it off this site. How do I send this pattern to myself.

thanks for any help...guess you fiqured out I am not good with this computer thing!!

Charmaine49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmaine49 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 5:51am
post #20 of 52

nancyg.........if you RIGHT click over the image you can either click COPY IMAGE and save it in your Drafts.........OR

you can click SAVE IMAGE AS and save it on your computer...

Hope this makes sense, cause this is what I do when I want to save something.

nancyg Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 3:43pm
post #21 of 52

Charmaine,
I thank you so much for the information.
Thanks for taking the time to help me
Nancy

ckckhome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckckhome Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 4:12pm
post #22 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeBaker

I'll try to attach the homemade pattern that I made for the gumpaste slippers on this cake: http://www.sugarcreations.com/BallerinaBirthdayCake.jpg

Your cake is so beautiful, Thank you for the template

nancyg Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 7:20pm
post #23 of 52

Thanks CakeBaker...
I got the image.

Happy New Year
And thanks for helping
Nancy

Parks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parks Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 12:53pm
post #24 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by lutie

I am also wondering what you would use to finish off the shoe? My daughter has a recital coming up and the instructor asked me to make the cake, I have never made a ballet slipper but this looks like a wonderful way to make it. I realise the clay guns are simple to buy in the US for most people but I am currently living in Japan and do not have the time to order one of these. Also for the sole of the shoe do you use a sole on the inside as well as the bottom to hide the folding?

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 3:54pm
post #25 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by lutie

I would suggest rolling out a piece of fondant, then cutting a strip out with a pastry wheel. Or, if you have a ribbon cutter (two wheels), that would be even better.

nancyg Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 7:43pm
post #26 of 52

I am trying to copy and paste the ballet shoe pattern. And am unable to. If anyone has it. ?ould you email it to me please. I am doing a cake with ballet shoes in Feb. My email is [email protected]

I already contacted Cakebaker and she was kind enough to respond. But, no longer has it in her files.

thanks everyone

Pedsjoey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pedsjoey Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 1:59am
post #27 of 52

Nancy, I just e-mailed you a copy of the pattern. Hope this helps!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 2:13am
post #28 of 52

Can someone email it to me too -- I've always wanted to do a pair of ballet slippers but just couldn't quite get it. Thanks all! icon_biggrin.gif

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 2:57am
post #29 of 52

I too would also love to get a copy of the pattern...if any of you would be so kind as to email it to me at [email protected] icon_smile.gif

HeidiH14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeidiH14 Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 5:16pm
post #30 of 52

Can you please send me a copy of the pattern also at [email protected]?
Thank You Very Much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%