Trout

Decorating By SpudCake Updated 19 Apr 2013 , 12:32pm by vezicath

SpudCake Posted 31 May 2006 , 11:40pm
post #1 of 18

I am making a cake in the shape of a trout, it needs to feed aprox. 30 people. Any ideas out there on how to go about it. What I am thinking is a trout mounted on a board. I plan to cover it in fondant. It is for someone I have never made a cake for before and I would like it to be really a good looking fish. Thanks in advance for any ideas. usaribbon.gif

17 replies
DeniseMarlaine Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 1:18am
post #3 of 18

There are some really cute cakes in there Skylightsky. I'd love to find instructions for something like this.

SpudCake Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 3:37am
post #4 of 18

Thanks for the links. There are some nice pics there. Gives me some good ideas to start with. usaribbon.gif

geehouse Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 9:13pm
post #5 of 18

I made a trout cake last week. It is a trout, but a little too fat. I used a football pan for the fish and airbrushed color on buttercream icing. hope it helps. I can email a picture if you like.

SpudCake Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 9:29pm
post #6 of 18

Yes I would like to see it thanks. usaribbon.gif

geehouse Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 3:05pm
post #7 of 18

I've submitted it online under galleries. Let me know if you can't find it.

SpudCake Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 8:47pm
post #8 of 18

I see it, it's cute, thanks for posting Geehouse. usaribbon.gif

SpudCake Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 6:10pm
post #9 of 18

Ok, my trout is made now I am going to spray color it. I want it to be shiny when I am done. I know that brushing the fondant with water will make it shine but that is a lot of fondant to let dry before I spray it. Or is there something else maybe an extract that I could use that will dry faster and be more tasty (without overpowering taste that is). Or can I spray it while wet and not have the color run. I am using Wilton spray color. Thanks in advance. usaribbon.gif

moydear77 Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 6:15pm
post #10 of 18

I did a smoked walleye cake for my hubby's annual fishing trip. It turned out so nice! I have a pic on my website under whimsical sculpted cakes. I covered it in Fondant and hand painted the color on. I used a #10 tip to make the scales. I pressed the tip into the fondant like a million times!!

They tend to be fatter because the reality is that it is cake. My walleye was quite plumper than the real thing!

SpudCake Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 6:30pm
post #11 of 18

moydear77 What did you use to paint the fish? usaribbon.gif

moydear77 Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 6:49pm
post #12 of 18

I used water down paste color with vodka and some gold luster dust.

SpudCake Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 4:27am
post #13 of 18

I have covered my fish in fondant (Wilton's), can it be refrigerated without my spray colors getting messed up? usaribbon.gif

moydear77 Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 4:34am
post #14 of 18

I refridgerate fondant all the time. I use Swiss buttercream which is perishable. Some say yes others say no.

SpudCake Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 4:48am
post #15 of 18

Thanks, I covered it last night with fondant and she is picking it up tomorrow, that will be 2 days out and Wilton says up to 3 days but not to refrigerate it. They aren't serving the cake till Saturday (which will be day 3), I want to be sure it is still fresh enough. usaribbon.gif

SpudCake Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 10:01pm
post #16 of 18

Here is the finished cake....I posted it in my pics, not perfect but I am happy with it. The lady is picking it up soon. I hope she likes it. As usual I learned things to do differently next time.usaribbon.gif

SpudCake Posted 10 Jun 2006 , 5:39am
post #17 of 18

She loved the cake, even paid me more than I expected. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%